View Poll Results: Should I buy a VZW pre2 on contract for $4.99? would you?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • You should buy it for $4.99 with new contract

20 40.82%
  • You should pay up to $200 w/o contract

19 38.78%
  • You should keep my preplus.

3 6.12%
  • You should buy an android. Post which!

3 6.12%
  • I'm a ****** - get the iPhone and don't look back!

4 8.16%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm eligible for an early upgrade but decided to buy one off of ebay and stay off contact in case some other company picks up the next WebOS phone (or who knows what will come out in the next year or two) then I will not be tried to a contact with V if I want to go elsewhere.

PalmOS: Zire71, Clie NX70V, LifeDrive, T|X
    WebOS: VZW Pixi Plus, now VZW PRE 2

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Since the Pre 3 seems dead for Verizon, I'm going to use my upgrade in a few days for a Pre2. My buddy has one and he seems to like it. I've played around with it a little and I like it. My Pre Plus is still rockin' but the won't OTA it anymore. Possibly, better chance with Pre2. If it lasts me 18 months to 2 years, I'll be happy.
    Done. It's on the truck for delivery today. ; )
    no promise of new apps or updates. unfortunately it looks like my webos/palm product days are over. unless something drastic happens i will be switching to android or ios.
    Quote Originally Posted by abnimmers View Post
    no promise of new apps or updates. unfortunately it looks like my webos/palm product days are over. unless something drastic happens i will be switching to android or ios.
    That may be true, but the Pre 2 is pretty solid and should last until the current uncertainty in mobile dissipates. There is an innovation vacuum without Palm, and so far no other OSes have stepped up to fill that gap. I can happily use my Pre 2 until we find out who is going to be the innovative OS.

Right now my Pre 2 and TouchPad do virtually everything I need them to do. Given that prior to OTA updates, we all used phones that were not updated and didn't have new apps, I'm pretty certain I can survive for a year or two. And in that year or two, I'll have a much more pleasant experience than using the outdated Android Gingerbread and iOS4.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Its a no brainer buy one don't waste your upgrade. I love my pre 2. Suck sweet build quality.
  7.    #27  
    here's more to the issue [just in case the waters weren't muddy enough.
    1. My daughter has an iPhone 4 and swears by it [her first smartphone]
    2. I want the pre2 and if I get it, since it won't cost any more and I am staying with Verizon anyway. [just bought the aforementioned iPhone 2 mos ago on the family plan.] I will get in on contract at $5 on not at all over $50.
    3. I have been looking at the Droid bionic and the Samsung Charge. seem like great HW, but both $250 on contract.
    4. Isn't there a 30 day grace period?
    5. who needs hotspot when there's free tether and I use the hotspot maybe once a month if that.
    6. My plus a. has a small chip in the front case on the side. b. Eats through it's battery in ~4 hours of standby time whether oc'd or not [usually 800/500], c. has a bit of the oreo thing, d. is MDd to 2.1.0
    7. I have a pre2 on my other line and love it, and I MDd it to 2.1.0 too!
    Good stuff so far. Thanks for responding even though others have asked similar questions.

FYI, i've had UK and MD 2.1.0 for months and it only just started the battery thing. Tried another battery and tried power saving tips to no avail. The pre2 lasts ~20+ hours in a similar if not higher use situation.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    The question I have to ask you is what do you need your phone to do?

If you need a software keyboard and lots of apps get an iPhone, you will be very happy. If you want great navigation and voice to text get Android. If you want the best notification system, amazing multitasking, just type simplicity and inductive charging, then yes, the Pre 2 is definately the way to go.
    Global Posts
    737 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post

If you need a software keyboard and lots of apps get an iPhone, you will be very happy. If you want great navigation and voice to text get Android. If you want the best notification system, amazing multitasking, just type simplicity and inductive charging, then yes, the Pre 2 is definately the way to go.
    THIS. As much as I loved the hardware on my Evo when I got it, I went back to my pre after 1 month. I missed the notification system, cards, and the use of advance gestures.

couldn't have said it better. Right now I only really need my phone to text, make calls, play music & occasionally give me directions. For me webOS is still the best, most elegant option. Oh yah & I NEED a hardware keyboard & much prefer portrait sliders (flipping my phone on it's side & back seems so silly to me).
  11.    #31  

Quote Originally Posted by tp2386 View Post
    THIS. As much as I loved the hardware on my Evo when I got it, I went back to my pre after 1 month. I missed the notification system, cards, and the use of advance gestures.
    I hear you, but the point is, do I take a chance on the ecosystem continuing more than a few months?
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    I hear you, but the point is, do I take a chance on the ecosystem continuing more than a few months?
    'S up to you, bro, but the pre 2 rocks.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I just upgraded from a VzW Pre Plus to a Pre 2 for FREE! I'm excited about getting it. Supposed to be free overnight shipping so I should get it tomorrow. Very much looking forward to getting it.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Eco system is gonna be here for awhile. With meg in were not even sure if webos is gone for good. And with precentral here we will have support for time to come. And hp said they will be supporting the software sides of things still
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    What about calling and asking to split the difference-- offer to sign a ONE year contract if they sell you the phone for $100 (or less). Tell them you love the OS, but even they must admit now that HP has dropped the OS it is certainly not worth "full price". Generally, companies want to keep customers. It can't hurt to call them up and make an offer you are comfortable with. The worst they can say is no. People experienced in dealing with cell companies will tell you to start with the cancellation department as they tend to have access to more offers.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12