Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By freeoscar
  • 1 Post By Vociferous
  1.    #1  
    For some background - I scored a firesale HP Verizon Pre2, which arrived a week ago. My current phone is a yr old Samsung Fascinate (4" slab). Overall, I miss some features of android - namely built in nav, integration with google voice, and the excellent voice commands.
    But I'm really starting to understand how powerful Just Type is, and it changes everything. I also have a Touchpad, which I use heavily, but for some reason Just Type is much more impactful on the phone.
    Overall, I'm enjoying the phone. The build quality feels good, the keyboard is surprisingly easy to use, the OS is pretty smooth, the phone reception is very good, data download speeds feel pretty speedy. i did an apps for apps comparison with my android, and most of what i consider important is there, so i don't really miss anything outside of the google voice and navigation (though that isn't so bad since the Pre2 has google's traffic overlay, which is most of what I use nav for). And using freetether with my Touchpad is easy as could be. Battery life is somewhat short of the Fascinate, which is disappointing. I have 2 touchstones, but frankly I don't find them that reliable, and saving 1 second by not plugging in a cable isn't a huge deal.
    if only this had the text integration with the TP - that would be fantastic.
    tp2386 and Rnp like this.
    I was really excited about Just Type, but I find myself only really using it to search on google and find contacts.
    Just Type really is awesome, though I agree that I find myself using it more on the Pre 2 than on the TP. I think it has to do with the fact that you literally just type on the phone while the touchpad requires you to hit the screen element to bring up the keyboard. Because of that I do find myself just typing more on the touchpad when using the Bluetooth keyboard since the behavior is more like on the phones.

Also, uberkernel with the screenstatev3 governer will help out with your battery life.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    @freeoscar, how is the touchstone unreliable? Just curious about it with respect to the Pre 2 devices.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonb View Post
    @freeoscar, how is the touchstone unreliable? Just curious about it with respect to the Pre 2 devices.
    I have 2. one works most all of the time, the other seems to only work if its placed on exactly right. So i stopped using that and just plug it in. not a big deal. i've been plugging in cell phones for 15yrs and made it this far.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Hmmm...I understand. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeoscar View Post

No one told me Just Type was so awesome

For some background - I scored a firesale HP Verizon Pre2, which arrived a week ago. My current phone is a yr old Samsung Fascinate (4" slab). Overall, I miss some features of android - namely built in nav, integration with google voice, and the excellent voice commands.
    But I'm really starting to understand how powerful Just Type is, and it changes everything. I also have a Touchpad, which I use heavily, but for some reason Just Type is much more impactful on the phone.
    Overall, I'm enjoying the phone. The build quality feels good, the keyboard is surprisingly easy to use, the OS is pretty smooth, the phone reception is very good, data download speeds feel pretty speedy. i did an apps for apps comparison with my android, and most of what i consider important is there, so i don't really miss anything outside of the google voice and navigation (though that isn't so bad since the Pre2 has google's traffic overlay, which is most of what I use nav for). And using freetether with my Touchpad is easy as could be. Battery life is somewhat short of the Fascinate, which is disappointing. I have 2 touchstones, but frankly I don't find them that reliable, and saving 1 second by not plugging in a cable isn't a huge deal.
    if only this had the text integration with the TP - that would be fantastic.
    They did tell you. In fact, they told everyone...at CES 2009...which is one of the reasons that Palm won "best of show"...along with the rest of the WebOS goodness

Just Type seems more useful on the Pre because it has a physical keyboard. To use it though, you still need to ensure that you don't have a card maximized. The same constraint applies to the TP...but you don't have a nice physical keyboard available to start typing immediately. Instead, you have to ensure that you can see the "Just Type" field in the launcher and then click in it. Thus, I'll admit, I use it less on the TP...and use it constantly on my Pre.

cheers,
    Steve
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
  8.    #8  
    I guess I use the TP mostly for web browsing, and google is the gateway for that - so I use Just Type as basically just a google search bar. whereas on the phone I use it as a gateway for everything. one question - can I set it up (on the phone) to search my downloaded music?
    It's funny, evertime I praise Webos I forget to mention how great Just Type is. Thanks for reminding me!
    garnetlove likes this.
    Just Type and gestures+advanced gestures make interacting with the Pre 2 an amazing delight. And I'm finding myself using Just Type more and more on the TP. I've enabled a few search engines that I use regularly (e.g., Amazon and Wikipedia) and get right to what I want.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Can you add an eBay search engine? Just wondering...
    go to eBay, use the search on the page, and it should then come up asking you to add it.

+1 for using Just Type since before it was called Just Type (Universal Search)

Having as many apps as I did, I could never find anything even with 10 launcher pages. Way easier for apps, phone calls, texts, searches
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I use auctionmate for my ebay searching which can be tied to Just Search. Great app and great combination with Just Type.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Okay. I'm sold!!! I want one!!!
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I use just type way more on my pre2 then TP ...
    I think an unexpected result of the fire sale (both the TP and Pre2) is the number of WebOS fans increased. I kind of wonder if HP expected that. The "just type" feature is one of those functions that opens the eyes of new WebOS users.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities