Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Cantaffordit
  1.    #1  
    A couple weeks ago (after the pre 3 was canned) I stopped in my verizon store to see about upgrading to the pre 2. I was told I had a partial upgrade available (whatever the f that means) & that it'd be $100 right then or $50 if I waited for my full upgrade come october. Well, I just went online to check if anything had changed & low & behold the pre 2 is available for $4.99 on my partial upgrade. Just ordered mine w/free 2-day shipping. Missed out on the pre 2 firesale & now I'm kinda glad I did ;] Get 'em while ya can!
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I'd rather not be locked into a 2 year contract with a phone HP may or may not support anymore. WP7.5 is also looking nice....
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    It has been pretty cheap on contract for a while. Getting it cheap off contract is the way to go imo
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    It has been pretty cheap on contract for a while. Getting it cheap off contract is the way to go imo
    Where can I get a new one for under $100 off-contract?
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    You may have to pay more than that if you are interested...well that's on ebay really. I'm not sure of any other method. If you are serious, you should buy one ASAP since the prices are raising with each day. And I agree, you should buy one off contract than be tied to another 2 years on contract with a phone that may not get support. Only my opinion...
    Does anyone know:

Will the extended batteries and covers of the Pre+ work with the Pre2? That would make it much more tempting for me.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    all the Pre accessories are interchangable. The Pre2 is more than twice as good.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Does anyone know:

Will the extended batteries and covers of the Pre+ work with the Pre2? That would make it much more tempting for me.

C
    IIRC the backplate is interchangeable between the two so I'd say yes. However, I could always be incorrect
    Sprint Pre Plus 1.4.5
    Dev Verizon Pre 2.1.0
    Weather App in the works...
    the pre protector palm glove that comes w/ the pre doesn't fit =( i was depressed to find that out.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by Consequence_9 View Post
    A couple weeks ago (after the pre 3 was canned) I stopped in my verizon store to see about upgrading to the pre 2. I was told I had a partial upgrade available (whatever the f that means) & that it'd be $100 right then or $50 if I waited for my full upgrade come october. Well, I just went online to check if anything had changed & low & behold the pre 2 is available for $4.99 on my partial upgrade. Just ordered mine w/free 2-day shipping. Missed out on the pre 2 firesale & now I'm kinda glad I did ;] Get 'em while ya can!
    How are people triggering these "partial upgrades" and "4.99 upgrade" deals? Just going into a store and asking or calling a CS rep and asking about their accounts???
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    How are people triggering these "partial upgrades" and "4.99 upgrade" deals? Just going into a store and asking or calling a CS rep and asking about their accounts???
    You need to login to your Verizon account online and check your upgrade there.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Basically just check every week or so to see if it pops up? What point in their contracts are people when they get this early upgrade to appear? And is it only showing up on the primary line or secondary lines as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    the pre protector palm glove that comes w/ the pre doesn't fit =( i was depressed to find that out.
    It fits just fine. I used my old glove with my frankenpre. It's a tight fit, but it works fine.

By the way, I'm selling a BNIB Verizon Pre2, with 5 spare batteries, a spare touchstone cover, and an extra broken Pre2 for parts, for 230 total, if anyone's interested. PM me, as I don't have enough posts to post in marketplace yet.
  14.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Basically just check every week or so to see if it pops up? What point in their contracts are people when they get this early upgrade to appear? And is it only showing up on the primary line or secondary lines as well?
    Basically, yes, just check your account online. The website makes it pretty simple, shows all your lines in an itemized fashion, should say something to the effect of "partial upgrade available" underneath the picture of the phone on that line. For me it appeared around 2 months before my full upgrade was due. The price to upgrade to the pre 2 must have been dropped within the past week or so, it's not a special deal or anything. My line is a secondary one.

I know everyone's all about getting one off-contract, but I don't have any desire to switch carriers (or money for one off) & as long as webOS internals continue to support it I could care less about HP. I want to stay with webOS as long as possible, I don't see any new webOS devices coming to my carrier in the near future. Using my upgrade on an android phone isn't what I would consider an upgrade. So 5 bux for a phone I actually want is something I'm totally ok with. I'm in it for the long-haul.

(but if those cdma pre 3s we all know are sitting somewhere get liquidated I just might eat my words) ;]
    Quote Originally Posted by jamhandman View Post
    You can get a new one for $200 on amazon. I too do not want to be stuck on a 2 year contract for a Pre 2 .
    I have Pre+, wife has Pixi+. We were just going to wait for iphone5, but then I saw the Pre2 available for $4.99. I just don't want to be cornered into sticking with the Pre2 for 2 years or have to pay full retail for another phone.

I wish I knew about the Pre2 $49 firesale. I've been shut out of the TP firesale and now this. Rats.
    I have been eyeing that 4.99 pre2 for a couple of months but didn't want to be locked in either. course, I do have my wife's upgrade. she's happy with her ENV2 and I have a couple of voyagers to fall back on. SmartPhones are too smart for her. [her words]...
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Where are you guys seeing $4.99 for the pre2? I just bought it a week ago at $50.
    First of, if you are still New every 2 eligible, then, when you hit 12 months you can upgrade for a small discount. Once you hit 20 months, you are eligible for the full discount. The Pre 2 has been small discount upgrade available for $4.99 for a couple of months. I jumped on it.

As to the issue of whether or not to do this, you simply have to look at your situation. First of all, as far as I am aware, your monthly fee is the same whether you are on contract or still riding a plan after your contract has expired. So, you are still paying the subsidized phone price in your plan. So buying a phone off contract is actually going to cost you more money if you aren't going to switch carriers.

Second, assuming you plan on staying with your carrier for 2 years (I have no intention of leaving), this is a great deal. If you already love the phone, and the apps that are there are good enough for you, all the other stuff is "who cares?" material. This is why I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger. I got a phone for basically free and all I had to do was say "yeah, not changing carriers for a couple more years". Even if you decide later that the phone ain't doin' it for ya, you can go on eBay and get some pretty decent Droids for less money than the Pre 2 is currently going for, and many of the latest are about the same money, so you would, at most, be out $5.

Too me, the only people who shouldn't jump on this are the ones that don't want to stay with VZW, or love to switch out phones frequently (thought this won't be as easy anymore as carriers are eliminating the early discounted upgrades). Otherwise, if you want a new webOS phone, jump on it while they are still available.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    @falconrap. You stated here and else where that the price of Droids on ebay are less than an unsubsidized Pre 2...where are you seeing this!?!?! I don't think that is true at all ESPECIALLY THE LATEST ONES!!! I think you should check that out. Just saying...