Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Just did the Frankenpre2 procedure with my broken-up Sprint Pre- tonight. The people at WebOS Internals are engineering Gods by the way. I had a question about the remnants of my Pre- and the Verizon Pre2 back bezel. I re-assembled the Verizon bezel to my Pre- so I wouldn't lose the pieces. I noticed in the webOS 2 instructions an option to doctor with a wifi only option. Can I doctor my Pre- now using this option and use it as a wifi only enabled device?
    Yes you can. Get the appropriate doctor and use the it in conjunction with the bypass activation tool by Palm, or use the metadoctor (which is recommended).

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I used the metadoctor on my Pre- with the Verizon comm board. Used the meta-sprint-pre-1.4.5.1 script with the --wifi option. The phone boots fine and runs okay on my wifi but I'd like to connect to my profile and get my apps, etc. back. So, when I try to run the First Use icon I get the cloud background and eventually the Phone Error page:
    "Your phone is experiencing an error that cannot be resolved. Visit palm.com/support/ for help."

I feel I'm missing something basic here like I need a script that is 1.4.5 for sprint and not the 1.4.5.1 version. Is there a way to use the 1.4.5 doctor for the sprint pre- and disable the phone portion (wifi only)?
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    wait... can we upgrade to 2.1? also with this?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    yes if you use the meta-sprint-pre-2.1.0 script. Not sure how well this works, though. I've seen some threads saying it's not too reliable but I suppose as always, ymmv.

I do not need 2.1.0 on my Pre- as my new Frankenpre2 is running 2.1.0. I just wanted to use my old Pre- as a PDA running 1.4.5 with Classic to run my old apps. I know you can get classic running on 2.1.0 but I wasn't ready to do that yet and I'd really like to break free from the past. (I've used a PalmVx since 1999).
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    true I got 2.1 on my pre 2 to. and have my pixi had a pda of sorts.
    @PsYcho so I just did my Frankenpre with an unlocked pre2 ans swapped the comm board from my Sprint Pre-. I then put the unlocked gsm comm board in my pre- and without doctoring it ran up to this morning with WiFi and all old apps. Now I am getting the same error you have on your meta-doctored device. My guess is that the phone detects it now has a different comm board in it and throws the errors we are seeing. I think if I use the unlocked WR script and meta doctored it I should then be able to use it as a WiFi only pda like you talk about. For your phone you will probably have to meta doctor it with a Verizon 1.4.5 script since it one has a Verizon comm board and thinks it is a Verizon device? Can any one confirm this is the issue we are seeing?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    @jmccrary I have been out of town for the last week so have not been able to try this yet. Have you had a chance to try a Verizon 1.4.5 meta doctor script yet? Will a Verizon script work on a Sprint Pre- ? Is there a meta-doctor script for this configuration? (Sprint pre- with a verizon comm board from a verizon pre2) I don't see one in the latest meta-doctor.git
    looking into this more, but have not had a chance to do anything yet. Looks like from researching I need to meta doctor with the bypass activation that still allows login to palm profile to restore apps. Thinking about just redoctor with meta doctor and upgrade pre- which now has unlocked gsm board to webos 2.1. Still researching and won't have time to do anything with this for a while. Big project at work.
    reviving this thread because I'm trying to turn my remnants into a usable VZ phone for a friend who can't upgrade for awhile...
    here is what I've done so far:
    1. put VZ Pre2 comm board into my old Sprint Pre -
    2. doctored device with Sprint 1.4.5 (one that I downloaded on 3/31/11, so may not be the 1.45.1)
    3. Upon booting, for the first time, takes me to activation set-up... of course, activation fails because the VZ Pre2 was never activated and there is no number associated with the comm board.

I'm wondering, if my friend and I call into VZ, do we just ask them to activate the VZ anti-FrankenPre using the Verizon Hex ID (which is currently under the battery on my Sprint FrankenPre2)??

do I need to DR with the VZ 1.4.5.1?? will it even let me? I ran the Sprint DR because it's on Sprint hardware, like when I ran the VZ DR on my FrankenPre2, which is VZ hardware...

has anyone done this??
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by booyapre View Post
    has anyone done this??
    Not yet, but I wondering the same thing. I don't absolutely need it to work on Verizon though, so I will probably end up doing a wifi-only install of the OS.
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by booyapre View Post
    reviving this thread because I'm trying to turn my remnants into a usable VZ phone for a friend who can't upgrade for awhile...
    here is what I've done so far:
    1. put VZ Pre2 comm board into my old Sprint Pre -
    2. doctored device with Sprint 1.4.5 (one that I downloaded on 3/31/11, so may not be the 1.45.1)
    3. Upon booting, for the first time, takes me to activation set-up... of course, activation fails because the VZ Pre2 was never activated and there is no number associated with the comm board.

I'm wondering, if my friend and I call into VZ, do we just ask them to activate the VZ anti-FrankenPre using the Verizon Hex ID (which is currently under the battery on my Sprint FrankenPre2)??

do I need to DR with the VZ 1.4.5.1?? will it even let me? I ran the Sprint DR because it's on Sprint hardware, like when I ran the VZ DR on my FrankenPre2, which is VZ hardware...

has anyone done this??
    Did that with the left over pre- sprint and unlocked gsm comm board from the pre2 and all I needed to do is to load the sprint 1.4.5 doctor(and this is what I wanted since I have 2.2.4 on the pre2) and then just borrow a sim from a friend in order to activate the phone. I'm sure if I played with the Meta Doctor that wouldn't be necessary and most like just skip first use key.
    Anyway happy camper with pre- GSM unlocked and pre2 sprint