Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PaulGozniak
  1.    #1  
    Okay not sure if this is Pre2 specific or 2.1 specific, etc. My wifes brand new unlocked Pre2 running on AT&T will randomly play the default calendar notification tone for a new SMS. I have not patched anything on the SMS that I can think of, I don't even think I have really loaded any patches on the phone yet just Preware and Save/Restore, gonna get to patching this weekend. It seems to be completely random but in less than 48 hours has happened multiple times.

For a little background, I do randomly get the incorrect tone on my 2.1.2 AT&T Veer, but this is usually the default SMS tone instead of the correct tone for the contact (using the patch/tweak). Other than that, on the wifes Veer and our old Pres I don't ever recall having this issue.

Other than a couple resets the first night, I don't think I have rebooted the phone since. So that may fix the issue, just wanted to see if anyone has replicated this, at this point I am chalking it up to an OS bug as I know with 2.1.2 on the Veers there are various bugs that are not replicated reliably on all devices.

As always, thanks for any input.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I have this problem too.
    Yeah, this has to be one of the buggiest versions of webOS yet although 3.0.4 ranks up there.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  4.    #4  
    sadly in my experience all the 2.x versions are buggy across all available hardware.

I will deal with a couple bugs to gain the added features 2.x offers.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    My Pre 2 also does the same , its a frankenpre 2 . Also sometimes my SMS alerts or Notifications wont play at all.
    I'm bumping this because I just got a new Pre 2 and am having the same problem. I've searched the forums and haven't found a thing other than this thread. My SMS tones are different nearly every time I get a text, and even my set ringtone isn't right most of the time. It's very random and somewhat annoying.

Does anybody have a solution for this?
    Also, I've just noticed that my light bar isn't blinking to notify me of new text messages or alerts. I've sent myself numerous texts from my brother's phone and about 25% played the wrong tone, and never did the light bar start to blink to let me know I had a new text without turning on the screen. (It had, however, worked in the past)

My system sounds also seem to be buggy. The "swoosh" sound, for example, that plays when swiping a card off the screen is sometimes very loud, sometimes quiet, and sometimes doesn't play at all. And this is without touching any volume settings.

Edit: Found that the notification light doesn't blink for emails either. I've checked and double checked my settings: Blink notifications are ON. I even turned them off and back on again to be sure, and I rebooted my phone twice. Still no dice. And my text alert sounds are wrong more and more often, almost 85% now.
    Last edited by PaulGozniak; 03/12/2012 at 04:43 PM.
  8.    #8  
    would guess you have the advanced system menu framework patch installed, but don't have the sms and email menu patches installed, this is what is causing your blinking issue. Once the menu patches are installed this should be fixed/fixable by going into hose app menus.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    would guess you have the advanced system menu framework patch installed, but don't have the sms and email menu patches installed, this is what is causing your blinking issue. Once the menu patches are installed this should be fixed/fixable by going into hose app menus.
    I installed advanced system menu framework and the sms and email menu patches, played with settings, and the notification bar still does not work. The thing is, it doesn't work AT ALL. Ever.

It worked earlier today, and the previous two days I'd owned this phone, but now is has stopped. I downloaded the "disable light bar" patch, and then removed it, and that hasn't changed a thing either.

Also, my tones and alerts are still wonky. I called myself 13 times from another phone, and of those 13 calls, 7 played my chosen ringtone, and 6 played the charging/touchstone alert sound (sounded like my phone was doing the charging touchstone dance when it doesn't sit right on the dock). I also sent myself 11 texts, 8 of which played my selected tone, 3 of which played a calendar event alert. That doesn't even make sense to me. This is almost a deal breaker for me. Can anybody suggest anything I can do about these issues?
  10.    #10  
    remove all patches, if that doesn't fix it, doctor, the notification sound thing is a known issue in 2.x, but yours sounds excessive beyond what I have seen. Also what is version you running?
    Thanks for the responses, but still no dice. I've removed the patches and rebooted the device, still no notification light. Although my tones are must less inconsistent.

Looks like it's time to visit the doctor.

Edit: I'm running 2.1.0
    Doctored and still no notification light. Like at all. How bizarre is that?

Edit:
    Update: I've contacted Palm Support and told them about the notification light. I ran the interactive diagnostic test, and it wasn't lighting up for that either, although the gesture area still works fine. He said the device is defective and offered to repair it for free since it is still under warranty.

I also asked about the sms and ringtones changing randomly and he simply stated that custom mp3 tones sometimes fail to play and recommended using a default tone. Instead, I sent my homemade ringtones to my brother (who just happens to be an audio engineer) and he compressed them for me. It seems that the smaller files take up fewer resources and thus play more consistently. It still occurs from time to time, but much less often than before.
    Last edited by PaulGozniak; 03/12/2012 at 10:37 PM.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.