1.    #1  
    Basic question - can I just buy an unlocked Pre2 and upgrade from my Pre+ (verizon) without any major issues? I would like to keep Palm profile including apps, contacts, etc. as much as possible.

Also, anything specific I should know before I do this?
    No. Verizon does not use unlocked devices. Your profile will transfer without an issue, but you will lose the free mobile hotspot if you have on the pre plus.

Just got a new Pre 2 today from Verizon and I am quite happy with the improvements over the plus.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I'm ok losing the hotspot since preware has us covered, but if I activate this device replacing my pre plus will I keep my upgrade timeline? I'm thinking about snagging a pre 2 off ebay, activating it in a few months when my pre plus is dying (more than normal anyway...), and keeping the pre 2 until a smartphone I actually am interested in is released. My contract is up in Dec, but I want to keep on webOS for the time being, though not if it would reset my upgrade for two years. Thoughts?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by regan4017 View Post
    No. Verizon does not use unlocked devices. Your profile will transfer without an issue, but you will lose the free mobile hotspot if you have on the pre plus.

Just got a new Pre 2 today from Verizon and I am quite happy with the improvements over the plus.
    Then if I don't want an unlocked phone, what do I want to get? Looking online I can find "unlocked Verizon" phones. Not worried about loosing the free mobile hotspot, that's a compromise I'm willing to take. My main concern was buying a phone, activating it on Verizon, and being able to transfer most of my Palm profile (loosing a couple of apps is ok) without having to go through the trouble of taking the thing apart or some other nonsense.

I really don't want to buy a phone directly from Verizon for full retail at $400 or get stuck into a 2-year contract on an OS that won't be supported by the end of the year. I love the WebOS and want to keep it, but on borrowed time with my Pre+ as it is.
    When a device is "unlocked," it just means it is not "locked" to one specific carrier. In the US, phones come in two technology types: CDMA (i.e. Verizon & Sprint) and GSM (i.e. AT&T & T-Mobile). If you were t have an "unlocked" CDMA Pre 2, that would mean you could activate it on either Verizon or Sprint with no problem (and the same would go for the GSM variety for the networks it is compatible with).

I think where you are confused is the whole contract crap and you don't have to worry. You can swap any Verizon phone to replace your current phone without a problem from Verizon and a Pre Plus to a Pre 2 is a very easy conversion since it is the same OS and all you would need to do is activate the Pre 2 (which you can do on VZW's website to avoid the fee for them doing it over the phone or in-store) and sign in to your Palm Profile and then just wait while everything syncs up on the new device.

My point is, swapping your phone in and out will not affect your contract in any way, but be weary on this "unlocked Verizon" phone you mentioned. The Pre 2 is unlocked on GSM (which, again, means you can activate it on your choice of GSM carriers) locked to Verizon on CDMA, so just make sure you check it through and you're getting what you actually want/need before buying. =)
    If you want to activate it on Verizon, it will have to be a Verizon phone. They will not allow non-Verizon phones on their network. This is based on the ESN of the phone. I don't think there is such a thing as an "unlocked Verizon phone"
    What you want is a "Verizon Pre 2" that is sold without a contract and does not have a "bad ESN" (terminology that indicates someone didn't pay their bill and got the phone's internal ID banned)

I swap phones around a lot and just go to the online Verizon page and change the ESN right there on line. The switch is basically immediate, costs nothing and doesn't require you to deal with a human who may want to argue or say something stupid.
  8.    #8  
    Thank you all for your help...

My main confusion is on the hardware. Do a web search for Palm Pre 2 and you get a bunch of different phones anywhere from around $150 to $600. My contract on my current Pre+ is up in November, I was hoping to secure a Pre2 before they were all gone and didn't want to get locked into another 2 year contract. I'm also willing to pay a little more for the phone but don't want to pay the full $400. That "unlocked" term was a little confusing too!

So basically I need to get a "Verizon" version of the Pre 2, from what I understand...
    Quote Originally Posted by Notifier View Post
    Thank you all for your help...

So basically I need to get a "Verizon" version of the Pre 2, from what I understand...
    Yes, and it looks like there are a few of them available on ebay for under $200.
    I just bought an early upgrade Pre 2 for 4.99 from Verizon online. Contract doesn't bother me, I've been with them a long time. Cheap Touchstones and wall chargers , too. (3.73 ea.) Take Care