Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Just bought a mint FrankenPre PRE 2 from fellow precentral member andidendel, to replace my Spring Pre Minus and all I can say is....

WOW.

I know, sounds like a cliche, right?

But it's not. The FrankenPre Pre 2 is THAT MUCH BETTER than the original Pre Minus.

It's blindingly fast.

Everything works maybe 5 to 10 times faster.

Smoother.

Quicker. In general a joy to use.

My thanks again to andidendel - and to all the other positive FrankenPre posts and posters over time, which partially convinced me it would be a good move to replace my Pre Minus with a FrankenPre 2 -

Totally cool.

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MiguelATF View Post
    Just bought a mint FrankenPre PRE 2 from fellow precentral member andidendel, to replace my Spring Pre Minus and all I can say is....

WOW.

I know, sounds like a cliche, right?

But it's not. The FrankenPre Pre 2 is THAT MUCH BETTER than the original Pre Minus.

It's blindingly fast.

Everything works maybe 5 to 10 times faster.

Smoother.

Quicker. In general a joy to use.

My thanks again to andidendel - and to all the other positive FrankenPre posts and posters over time, which partially convinced me it would be a good move to replace my Pre Minus with a FrankenPre 2 -

Totally cool.
    How did this happend? Did you give the seller your activated Sprint commboard so he did your FrankenPre? Did you buy a Pre2 from a seller and do it yourself?
    Devices
    -Sprint Pre & FrankenPre 2
    -AT&T Pre3 4G
    Accessories
    -5 Touchstones for phones & Touchpad
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    The basic way it worked was - I sent my Sprint PreMinus to andidendel - who did a swap - putting my Sprint Motherboard in his Pre2 - the whole thing took 2 days from start to finish -

What a difference.

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Ok. That makes sense. The process is pretty easy. Probably the hardest thing is to get the mechanism for the slider in place. You can really screw up an install that way
    Devices
    -AT&T Pre3 4G
    Accessories
    I've been thinking about it, but the main reason I'm holding back is the PRL update and the Sprint Nav (tied into the PRL update).

I use my GPS often. What are the alternatives with a Frankenpre? Thanks -
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    I've been thinking about it, but the main reason I'm holding back is the PRL update and the Sprint Nav (tied into the PRL update).

I use my GPS often. What are the alternatives with a Frankenpre? Thanks -
    There are ways to get GPS working on a FrankenPre2. However, I can't talk about it here. I just heard btw.
    Devices
    -AT&T Pre3 4G
    Accessories
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    what are your 3g speeds like after the swap? and are you paying the extra $10 premium data charge?

Yeah even going from a pre plus to the pre2 made a big difference for me. its tough getting used to the auto correct though, I spell things wrong a lot but usually on purpose. then it corrects me and its nothing like what i meant.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    the guy I got my FrankenPre from - who did the swap for me - made sure that Sprint Nav was INSTALLED on my new FrankenPre AFTER the swap. According to him it was relatively easy to do. But the truth? I'm glad he did it for me! Bottom line: I've got it on my Sprint FrankenPre and it works just as well - only FAStER! - than it did on my Spring Minue.

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    THe 3G speeds feel somewhere between twice as fast and 3 or 4 times as fast. I realize this is only subjective - but nonetheless the FrankenPre BLAZES compared to the Pre minus. It's the fastest smartphone I have ever used. I've played around with iPHones BTW and thought they (especially the newer ones) were quite fast - but the Frankenpre feels (subjectively) so much faster than before, it's like night and day.

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    The AutoCorrect on the Pre2/FrankenPre is a little more irritating than on the Pre Minus, but I've gotten used to it already.

In terms of the data surcharge - here's how it works. IF you keep the same comm board from your original Pre Minus in your new FrankenPre Pre 2 - then for all intents and purposes, Sprint thinks it's the same phone - and basically it is the same phone in the sense that it has the same 'brain'/motherboard/comm board at its heart. So there IS NO data surcharge.

The only time or times Sprint does a data surcharge - if I understand this correctly - is when you change or upgrade your phone - but technically since my FrankenPre has the same 'ID' (ID numbers) as it did before, I'm not (haven't been/won't be) subjected to any new data surcharge. I have the same monthly plan I've had for the last 12 or 14 months....and it's a very reasonably priced plan, with free cell-to-cell calls (any cell phone, not just the ones on the Sprint Network) - and unlimited data & messages. Yep, that's right, unlimited. Good old sprint.

Incidentally before buying the FrankenPre I thought long and hard about possibly switching to Verizon and/or AT&T and getting one of their Pre 2's - but for my needs and uses, what I would have paid in a new plan would have been significantly more than what Sprint charges me. So it was a non-issue - and all in all, I'm happy to both have a new (and faster) FrankenPre 2 - and to still have my (relatively reasonable IMHO) affordable Sprint rates/data plan.

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon