Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Recently switched from Droid X2 to the PRE2 and to put it flat out its not the phone that sucks, its the apps. Im putting my three day ole PRE2 with accessories on sale because the apps I've become familiar with arent avaiable and honestly.. probably wont show up in the HP app catalog anytime soon.

this is not a flame about the P2 sucking. i really like the size and OS, but it just doesnt compare to the more modern apps that are running on android or IOS.

Just too many compromises involved with owning this phone

For those that swear these phones are the second coming... I would love to know what you use them for..
    What apps were you trying to find?

As for putting it up for sale, is that on ebay or are you listing it in the Marketplace?
    Quote Originally Posted by dubbsix View Post
    For those that swear these phones are the second coming... I would love to know what you use them for..
    For me to answer this I would need to know what apps you are missing this bad. I am not saying apps aren't lacking, but for my uses there are only a couple of apps I could say I really even want for my webOS phone and TouchPad.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Not trying to be unkind, but did you do any research before you purchased? People who use the phone do so because they like what is there already, don't need the apps, or they like the OS enough to deal with the lack of apps.

For example, I have never had an interest in watching anything more than a few minutes of video on a tiny phone. So complaints about 'no Nexflix' mean nothing to me.

As Orion asked, what programs are you missing that you need? May just not be the platform for you.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    ananimus likes this.
    since when did apps become the most important thing on a phone? I hate how people don't like webos because it doesn't have 100,000 + apps. Its a shame this is how people judge a phone based on apps and not how well the phone works.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    What apps were you trying to find?

As for putting it up for sale, is that on ebay or are you listing it in the Marketplace?

The one im missing the most is google navigation, which I know i can only get on a Droid. There are a few other apps like Fatscret, Wellsfargo Bank, Any good news reader that i just cant seem to find.

And if they arent available now, im guessing they wont be later. As far as the phone I have not listed it yet in the market place but I will do so when i get home tonight. If you are really interested then email me at dubbsix@gmail.com
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dav657 View Post
    since when did apps become the most important thing on a phone? I hate how people don't like webos because it doesn't have 100,000 + apps. Its a shame this is how people judge a phone based on apps and not how well the phone works.
    When we all started carrying phones that had the ability to download and run software

Actually the hardware wise, most phones have the same parts on the inside. Its ALL about the app eco-system man. WebOS is nice, but its still very young compared to its compeition. Try setting an alternate ring town for an email... oh cant?
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Not trying to be unkind, but did you do any research before you purchased? People who use the phone do so because they like what is there already, don't need the apps, or they like the OS enough to deal with the lack of apps.

For example, I have never had an interest in watching anything more than a few minutes of video on a tiny phone. So complaints about 'no Nexflix' mean nothing to me.

As Orion asked, what programs are you missing that you need? May just not be the platform for you.

I did look into it. I had a pre plus, but found the phone and OS just crappy. I wanted to give it another shot and the cheap prices made giving it a go worth it. Im a fan of WEBOS, so i really dont want my replies to come with flames and smoke lol. Im just saying having a droid x2 sitting on my desk im wondering why im dealing with the lack of apps that i like to run just for the sake of liking the OS. If i had navigation i probably would swallow the rest of the missing apps and move on. Its the deal breaker for me.
    The one im missing the most is google navigation, which I know i can only get on a Droid. There are a few other apps like Fatscret, Wellsfargo Bank, Any good news reader that i just cant seem to find.
    With my original Pre, we used Sprint Nav when needed. Haven't really set on a Nav option for the other phones. I've used Newsroom for a while now as my news reader, and also express news or AP mobile if I just want headlines. As far as banking, we primarily bank with local credit unions, so other than iOS I don't think any of them have apps yet (they might not even have iOS).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    email, sms, web pages, phone calls, rarely listen to music or watch video, sometimes play games.

Oh, and charge the battery

I can't think of any apps that I would want...I don't use any social media other than linkedin, I host my own email so I don't use yahoo/gmail/whatever. Though I am linked up to my company's exchange server. I don't use flickr or any other photo sharing services, I host my own photo sharing web site for my basic needs on my own server.

At one point I was looking forward to Netflix, then they jacked up their rates and I looked at how much I actually *streamed* from them and it turned out I hadn't streamed for more than 5 minutes in over a year so I canceled. I'd be happy to pay a lot more to get a lot more content but as is they don't have enough content.

I don't see them as a second coming myself, though the OS as far as functionality is very good. App selection has never been good enough for many users. The general point was more along the lines of potential rather than being there right now. It needed more work, many were hoping/expecting that HP was going to commit the resources to make that happen.

I'm sure I'm not your typical teeny bopper phone person, my mother and sister are similar both have basic feature phones all they use them for is SMS and text. None of us have ever owned or used an iOS or Android device.

Oh yeah after reading another post on my Pre- I used sprint navigation quite a bit, I bought a new car earlier this year and put a high end stereo and navigation system in it so I don't really need phone based nav at this point unless I'm using another car which is rare(last time was 6 years ago).

I won't even consider Android myself - I don't trust google with my data. I trust HP with my data because I know they aren't competent enough to use it against me like google is. So doesn't matter if the phone is free, or if they pay me to use the phone I can't use Android. And as for iOS I'm not a fan of apple either. WebOS is good for people like me there just aren't many of us out there!
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Web OS has a Wells Fargo application. I am using it on my Pre- and soon to be Sprint FrankenPre. Notice I didn't say..."app". Ugh.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    With my original Pre, we used Sprint Nav when needed. Haven't really set on a Nav option for the other phones. I've used Newsroom for a while now as my news reader, and also express news or AP mobile if I just want headlines. As far as banking, we primarily bank with local credit unions, so other than iOS I don't think any of them have apps yet (they might not even have iOS).
    Verizon has VZ Navigator, but it costs 9.99 per month :\
    Quote Originally Posted by dav657 View Post
    We can try to resist the idea that apps don't matter but the honest truth is that they do. Apps is just a cute mobile device term for "software". If your PC didn't have MS Office and you really needed to use MS Office, wouldn't you consider a platform that does? Same with phones. Casual browsing, texting, taking pics just don't do it for some ppl. If your phone is unable to do something you really need it to do b/c it's missing the app, wouldn't you look elsewhere? We need to understand this before being the webOS apologist, b/c frankly, no matter how much you try to defend webOS, there's just no defending about the (lack of) apps.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ehosey2 View Post
    Web OS has a Wells Fargo application. I am using it on my Pre- and soon to be Sprint FrankenPre. Notice I didn't say..."app". Ugh.
    When i search the "HP App catalog" there is no app, and when I try and download from WF it says that their app wont run on my version of WEBOS 2.1.0

Of course, now i just goto the web interface and login....not that much trouble but i do miss the full blown app.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    We can try to resist the idea that apps don't matter but the honest truth is that they do. Apps is just a cute mobile device term for "software". If your PC didn't have MS Office and you really needed to use MS Office, wouldn't you consider a platform that does? Same with phones. Casual browsing, texting, taking pics just don't do it for some ppl. If your phone is unable to do something you really need it to do b/c it's missing the app, wouldn't you look elsewhere? We need to understand this before being the webOS apologist, b/c frankly, no matter how much you try to defend webOS, there's just no defending about the (lack of) apps.
    very well said.
    I don't think Wellsfargo bank is available anymore. I had it on my Pre- but when I tried to find it for my Pre2 and Pre3 (both of which were activated in the past 2 weeks) Wellsfargo bank was nowhere to be found in the catalog for me. Bank of america app was still there though.
    Verizon has VZ Navigator, but it costs 9.99 per month :\
    We are on ATT now so we are in the same boat. For the most part we don't really need turn by turn navigation. As long as I have a decent maps program and GPS, I am good.

There is nDrive out there and it stores all your maps on device so you don't have to worry about having a data signal.

And if they arent available now, im guessing they wont be later. As far as the phone I have not listed it yet in the market place but I will do so when i get home tonight. If you are really interested then email me at
    I believe there is a Wellsfargo app for webOS. As for the news reader, there are a lot of nice RSS readers. I don'tk now if that's what you mean or if you meant something for newspapers? I don't know what Fatscret is. There is a navigation app, though it does require purchase where google nav is free so that depends on personal needs/preferences.

I would suggest going back to this post and removing your email form it (as i did in quoting it). It's bad to leave your email on an open forum. Ask people to PM or IM you instead if you'd prefer direct contact.

I did look into it. I had a pre plus, but found the phone and OS just crappy. I wanted to give it another shot and the cheap prices made giving it a go worth it. Im a fan of WEBOS, so i really dont want my replies to come with flames and smoke lol. Im just saying having a droid x2 sitting on my desk im wondering why im dealing with the lack of apps that i like to run just for the sake of liking the OS. If i had navigation i probably would swallow the rest of the missing apps and move on. Its the deal breaker for me.
    Did you buy the Pre on contract or via firesale?

If google nav is the only thing you could just mount that Droid X2 and run any data needs through the Pre 2.

Personally, I operate on a Pre+ with an iTouch (given as a gift before I got my first Pre) system. I do whatever I can on my Pre minus music/video and then use the Pre to provide a data connection to my iTouch if I NEED an internet connection and there's no near by WiFi for it. I actually use my iTouch for navigation with a TomTom GPS car mount I found on sale for like $30 one time.

As for mobile banking, my banks either don't have ANY mobile apps/sites or they provide a touch optimized mobile site in addition to their iOS/Android apps, which I prefer because I hate those "placeholder" apps.
    meir602 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by natepre509 View Post
    I don't think Wellsfargo bank is available anymore. I had it on my Pre- but when I tried to find it for my Pre2 and Pre3 (both of which were activated in the past 2 weeks) Wellsfargo bank was nowhere to be found in the catalog for me. Bank of america app was still there though.
    Shows up when i search it on my Pre.

Also here: https://developer.palm.com/webChanne...llsfargomobile

When i search the "HP App catalog" there is no app, and when I try and download from WF it says that their app wont run on my version of WEBOS 2.1.0

Of course, now i just goto the web interface and login....not that much trouble but i do miss the full blown app.
    I wonder if they dropped support and the app DB entry for it never got updated for that device detection bug?
    Quote Originally Posted by natepre509 View Post
    I just pulled up the Wells Fargo app on my Veer.

on 2.1.2

Doesn't show Pre2 compatible on the page, but I would assume that should have been automatic by Palm/HP as all the Pixi apps were automatically Veer compatible. Might want to contact HP.

https://developer.palm.com/webChanne...llsfargomobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast