Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My Verizon Pre 2 is showing some strange charging behavior on my Touchstone. It is not the previously reported "bouncing" issue where the handheld, usually rapidly, switching between discharging and charging. Mine, while simply right in the middle of charging on the Touchstone, will simply stop charging altogether. The patch that I have which shows the battery percentage with color remains blue, which indicates it is charging. However, looking in Govnah, the Battery Current field shows a negative mA (milliamps) number. It stays this way, discharging and the percentage number still blue, indefinitely until I lift the Pre 2 off of the Touchstone. The battery percentage then changes from blue to whatever the appropriate color is for its charge level, and the battery current remains a negative number which it should. Immediately placing the Pre 2 back on the Touchstone turns the charge percentage blue again and the battery current becomes a positive number. My old Sprint Pre(-) showed this same behavior as well. It does not seem normal, and I am wondering if anyone else has seen this same behavior?
    Different outlet or cord? Do you have other Touchstones? Inspect your Touchstone back contacts.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  3.    #3  
    Contacts look fine. Will try different outlets and cords, but don't think that is the problem. I have a couple more Touchstones coming from Verizon ($4.97 each), and I'll try those when they get here.
    My Pre- does this every once in a while, usually depending on the strength of the data service signal. If the signal is poor, the radio draws more power. When this happens, the case by the radio usually heats up and Govnah registers a higher-than-normal temperature as well.
    Palm M105--->Palm Tungsten T--->Palm Treo 650--->Palm Centro--->Palm Pre--->Palm iPhone4s (damnit)

Touchpad (launch day)
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, I see that, too. However, my main concern is the fact that charging seems to stop even though the device says it's charging. Nothing is going on with the device at the time, and there are no active data connections. The device continues to discharge. Without changing anything else, simply removing and replacing the device on the Touchstone resolves it. Seems like an issue with the charging hardware in the Pre or the battery since it has happened with multiple devices.
  6.    #6  
    Happened overnight last night. I put my VZQ Pre 2 on the Touchstone on my dresser last night at 92% battery. Got up this morning, the percentage value was still blue (which means it "knew" it was on the Touchstone, charging), but the battery was at 69%! Nothing at all unusual that I could see was running on the device. WTH?!?! Anyone??
    Honestly sounds like it isn't sitting quite right on the TS or bad TS/cable/etc.

I really would go with the first one as both the wife and I have done this multiple times. You don't always get the sound, but the phone isn't getting enough charge to keep charging.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  8.    #8  
    Maybe, but I doubt it. Happens on multiple Touchstones with multiple cables.

Happened again last night as well. I restarted my entire Pre 2 device last night via the Device Info app More Info screen. After it restarted, I placed it on the Touchstone on my dresser. My Mode Switcher trigger for Touchstone charging activated and showed me the notification at the bottom of the screen, and the battery percentage turned from green to blue color. I watched the percentage go from 92% to 93% in order to make sure it was actually charging. Went to sleep. Got up this morning, and it was down to 84% and the number was still blue. Same symptom happens at random on the Touchstone in my office. Can start happening when the battery is at 100% or any percentage. Also happens with the standard Palm battery and my Seidio 1350 mAh extended battery. This is friggen weird.

One thought/question that I had is could it be temperature related? I know that the automatic Palm backup process runs overnight cause I looked at the Backup application information. During that run, could the CPU or battery temperature getting too high, and the charger initiating a thermal cut off that never turns back on because of some firmware bug?

Though, that does not jive or explain why this issue happens at random when my Pre is sitting on the Touchstone in my office with minimal or no apps running, and I can actually watch it happen at random (when I notice it dropping charge at least). My Sprint Pre(-) has this same issue. Hard to believe that a firmware bug would be carried forward from one device model to the next, but I have seen such things happen in my many years of mobile tech experience.
    Last edited by SilvrDrgn; 09/30/2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Added info and questions
    I can say for certain it's not a firmware bug. If you have it happening on 2 completely different devices there is something else going on here. I state this from running 2 1.x original Pres, 2 2.1.2 Veers, and 1 2.1 Pre2, all on multiple Touchstone (2 in bedroom, 1 at work, 1 in living room, and have used them in cars) have never had this specific issue.

You may want to remove some patches, check your mode setup for when on TS, something is not right though. Are you running Preset Reset or any other auto reset or other functions? It could be heat related, but I doubt it.

The only other thing I've got, you said multiple TS's and multiple cables (so I am guessing multiple AC adapter plugs). Have you used them in multiple locations? The only common thing I can think of at this point (still assuming you have used multiple AC adapters) is the wiring in your home.

Maybe some weird voltage drop or something. I know this is way out there, but it is the last common possible point of failure.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  10.    #10  
    Not using Preset Reset. Have dug into my Mode Switcher profiles, but not found anything unusual. Have tried all of my AC adapters and Touchstones at both locations. Will have to look at patches when I get time. Not expecting to find anything there.
    weird... sorry I don't have anything else that can help.

Just checking, you are using 2 different TS backs correct?
  12.    #12  
    No, one TS back swapped between phones. I suppose that might be a common link.
    Has to be it, only thing left. Had someone last week that was having TS issues, the charge bounce issue, ended up tracking it to a bad TS back. Would match up with your thought of heat... not necessarily because of backup, but just the natural heat generated when charging.
  14.    #14  
    Sounds plausible to me. It is worth looking into a replacement TS back. I will check into that and see if I can find one at a reasonable price.
    5.54 on ebay w/ free shipping from a Top Seller NIB
  16.    #16  
    $4.79 on Amazon. Both cheap enough to order more than one for spares!
  17.    #17  
    Well, just for the sake of trying it, I swapped the Touchstone back from my Sprint Pre(-) to my Verizon Pre 2. Same issue last night, overnight on the Touchstone. Battery percentage shows blue number (which means it "knows" it's on a charger), but the value was 75%. I guess I could go ahead and try buying a new back, but since the number is blue, it seems to indicate that the backs are working fine (since they both do the same thing). I dunno. Maybe I'll just go back to plugging in the micro-USB charger cable every night.
  18.    #18  
    Both TS backs have done the same thing repeatedly. I am simply going to start plugging in the micro-USB connector every night again. Cannot have a phone at less than 100% battery when I get up in the morning due to my usage needs. Still considering a brand new TS back, but on hold for now.
    Stock Kernel? Or patches?
  20.    #20  
    Patches. I have Uber-Kernel (76) installed and some other patches.

I just noticed something interesting. With Govnah running, when the CPU temperature hits 41 degrees Celcius or above, that's when this issue happens. On the Touchstone, actual charging stops even though the device knows that it's on a Touchstone because the number stays blue. The battery percentage value continues to drop. Charging does not restart until I manually remove the Pre 2 from the Touchstone for a few seconds and then place it back on there.

Here's the interesting part ... When I charge via the AC adapter directly to the micro-USB port on the side of the Pre 2, the same charging issue happens. When it hits 41 degrees or above, charging stops and the battery percentage number stays blue. However, when the CPU temperature drops below 41, charging does resume again automatically. The number stays blue and its value starts climbing up again.

EDIT: This seems to be further confirmed by putting a fan next to my Touchstone. Watching Govnah, the CPU temperature so far has never gone above 35 Celcius. Plus, the charging problem has not happened during this time with the fan. To me, since the problem does not happen with micro-USB charging at all, this seems like a problem with the overheat protection in either hardware or software where the Touchstone is involved.
    Last edited by SilvrDrgn; 10/21/2011 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Added info about fan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast