Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Some of you may remember my Pixi vs. Pre 2 thread. I ended up with a Pre 2.

Lately, the Droid X has been acting all wonky with random reboots, missed calls, bluetooth issues and overall lagginess. Some of this was after the Gingerbread update too. The straw that broke the camel's back was a random reboot during a business call last week. I wished I had known about the Pre2's being $50 during the TP firesale as I would have bought one. But, I missed out.

Anyway, I found one NIB on ebay I got for $135 shipped priority which IMO, isn't a bad deal for an off contract smartphone. Sure, it wasn't as cheap as the fire sale price but still a relatively good deal (I imagine the seller was an HP employee as he still has a ton to sell).

I really like this phone. I've heard Android phones being described as being tiny computers with a phone app added to them and that is pretty truthful. Even though it's suppose to be a phone first and foremost, it just never felt seamless as it should have IMO. The Pre2 on the other hand, is so seamless, smooth and just as fast as the Droid X. One of the X's biggest strengths is also it's greatest weakness and that is the screen. The screen is huge, but it also makes the phone less pocketable. The Pre2 OTOH, is practically perfect size wise although the screen could be slightly bigger. The original Droid (my first Android phone) has the perfect screen size IMO at 3.7" as it's big enough to make browsing easy, yet not too big to where the phone isn't easily slipped into the pocket.

The only thing I miss is the built in google maps navigation with the car dock as I used that extensively. But that alone wasn't enough for me to put up with the hassles the phone brought otherwise.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Im glad you enjoy webos. It really is a great solid platform I love it. I hope to never turn my back on it as long as I possibly can. I got a pre 2 on the way to my house. wait until your itroduced to the world of preware,woqi,and oc'ing
    Quote Originally Posted by derek533 View Post
    Some of you may remember my Pixi vs. Pre 2 thread. I ended up with a Pre 2.

Lately, the Droid X has been acting all wonky with random reboots, missed calls, bluetooth issues and overall lagginess. Some of this was after the Gingerbread update too. The straw that broke the camel's back was a random reboot during a business call last week. I wished I had known about the Pre2's being $50 during the TP firesale as I would have bought one. But, I missed out.

Anyway, I found one NIB on ebay I got for $135 shipped priority which IMO, isn't a bad deal for an off contract smartphone. Sure, it wasn't as cheap as the fire sale price but still a relatively good deal (I imagine the seller was an HP employee as he still has a ton to sell).

I really like this phone. I've heard Android phones being described as being tiny computers with a phone app added to them and that is pretty truthful. Even though it's suppose to be a phone first and foremost, it just never felt seamless as it should have IMO. The Pre2 on the other hand, is so seamless, smooth and just as fast as the Droid X. One of the X's biggest strengths is also it's greatest weakness and that is the screen. The screen is huge, but it also makes the phone less pocketable. The Pre2 OTOH, is practically perfect size wise although the screen could be slightly bigger. The original Droid (my first Android phone) has the perfect screen size IMO at 3.7" as it's big enough to make browsing easy, yet not too big to where the phone isn't easily slipped into the pocket.

The only thing I miss is the built in google maps navigation with the car dock as I used that extensively. But that alone wasn't enough for me to put up with the hassles the phone brought otherwise.
    I've got a pre2 on the way, currently use a fascinate. I'm concerned about what I will lose in battery life and navigation. Google maps is fantastic. What are you doing for NAV on your ore2?
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freeoscar View Post
    I've got a pre2 on the way, currently use a fascinate. I'm concerned about what I will lose in battery life and navigation. Google maps is fantastic. What are you doing for NAV on your ore2?
    Nothing at the time. I thought was going to be able to still use the X as a GPS but while the gps sensor tracks movement, Google maps must get street names from the data connection as all the streets are blurry now that the data is turned off.

I guess I'll just end up getting a stand alone GPS now as I doubt I'll ever be able to go back to Android. The Pre2 is that good.
    nDrive (on sale for $25 bucks) or Navit (homebrew feed, free) are both alternatives and require no data connection for maps.

I'm pretty sure Android has some data-free GPS apps that you could download onto your Droid to act like a GPS receiver.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Wow that pretty much sums up my experience with my droid x2 and lg revolution lol. Yes $150 is not as cheap as $50, but $150 for a non contact phone that came out just 8 months ago is an incredible deal still.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums