Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    First let me say I take no credit for the greatness that is the:

"Sprint FrankenPre"

But I will say the process can be intimidating. I am going to break this into two parts:

1. Hardware Conversion
    2. Software Conversion

Hardware Conversion

The Hardware Challenges

The pictorial tutorial found on Webos-Internals is pretty straight forward and easy to follow. There are a few things to make note of first:

1. Linux: If you can't stomach the webos-doctor build process don't waste your effort on the hardware.
    2. Devices in the pictures: You'll notice if you look at the pictures, from what I can tell, they are all of the Pre 2, the process is essentially the same with the Sprint Pre.
    3. Speaker Swap: However you should know that along with the sprint com board you will be migrating over the Bezel as well which includes the antennas and the speaker. I decided to swap the speakers too as I prefer a new one to my old used one. I used a thin slotted screw driver to lift the speaker gently from the bottom to pry the adhesive loose without damaging the mesh behind the speaker.
    4. Step #9: Be careful for the Adhesive (Glue) you will find under the volume rocker and the comm board. The com board is not as fragile as the volume switch strip/ribbon. I used a thin slotted (regular) screw driver to pry it away from the plastic.
    5. Keyboard Clips: Pay careful attention to the red and yellow arrows in step 13, failing to do so could be painful.
    6. Black and White Wire: During reassembly pay careful attention to the black and white wire connected to the com board. Be careful not to damage it, and to tuck it back in the slots out of the way to ensure that it does not get in your way when you clip the keyboard back into the bezel.

Hardware Videos

FrankenPre Live! The Video - GSM

- CDMA

Software Conversion

Software conversion tutorial is found here.

The Software Challenges

Windows Users: You need to install Linux to build the webos doctor file, but you don't need to get novacom working. Once you get the webos doctor built you can copy the .jar file and transfer it into your novacom ready windows install and run it from there.

Jar file is found here:

meta-doctor/build/meta-sprint-pre-2.1.0/webosdoctorp101ueu-wr-2.1.0.jar

Software Videos

[/QUOTE]

When I got more time I may add more later... getting late, good luck, hope this all helps...

Thanks to: Daffy4U for the video links
    Last edited by Centrico; 09/11/2011 at 12:07 PM.
    I think most people who want to do it, have already done it. But it's great people are still trying to do it, but it's not too hard. As long as you think you have the knowledge to do it, you should be fine, if you take your time.
    Sprint Love
    giggles likes this.
    Not yet. Im still waiting until end of month before I start. Too many things going on and Plus Im getting a family member a GS2 with my upgrade so it has to be at least Sept 16.
    I needed video help to get me over my fear. The videos in combination with the pictoral and written instructions really made the process much easier for me.

Hardware videos:

FrankenPre Live! The Video - GSM

- CDMA

Software videos: Not really up to date but for someone like me with little experience with Linux, it gave me a good idea of what to expect and a few tips.

5.    #5  
    Thanks for putting those link together daffy4U, I added them to the original post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrico View Post
    [*]Speaker Swap: However you should know that along with the sprint com board you will be migrating over the Bezel as well which includes the antennas and the speaker. I decided to swap the speakers too as I prefer a new one to my old used one. I used a thin slotted screw driver to lift the speaker gently from the bottom to pry the adhesive loose without damaging the mesh behind the speaker.
    I seen the live pre2 video and it looks like he just pops the speaker out and puts in the other one. Is there any kind of wire or connector you have to align to ensure it works properly?

Thanks!
    First let me say I take no credit for the greatness that is the:
    [*]Speaker Swap: However you should know that along with the sprint com board you will be migrating over the Bezel as well which includes the antennas and the speaker. I decided to swap the speakers too as I prefer a new one to my old used one. I used a thin slotted screw driver to lift the speaker gently from the bottom to pry the adhesive loose without damaging the mesh behind the speaker.
    Yeah if you do it wrong. There is no reason to swap over the Bezel or anything other than the comms board. My Franken Pre 2 had it's original everything, but the comms board
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    Good call on the volume ribbon glue. Mine ripped in half on my first attempt.
    How stuck is that volume glue on the pre2? Or is it foam tape? I wanna approach it safely

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Speaker Swap: However you should know that along with the sprint com board you will be migrating over the Bezel as well which includes the antennas and the speaker. I decided to swap the speakers too as I prefer a new one to my old used one. I used a thin slotted screw driver to lift the speaker gently from the bottom to pry the adhesive loose without damaging the mesh behind the speaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Yeah if you do it wrong. There is no reason to swap over the Bezel or anything other than the comms board. My Franken Pre 2 had it's original everything, but the comms board
    Actually I am pretty sure this depends on what version of the FrankePre you are making from what parts. If you have a GSM based AT&T or EU unit as the base you'll need the Bezel from your existing CDMA based unit for the antenna - won't you? If you're going to use on Sprint, the only unit you wouldn't need to do this on would be a VZW one - right?
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    The speakers just pop out and replace I did it to. But when you put it back in make sure the metial tabs on the back would align with the contacts on the back cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    You do if its a GSM Pre 2, so I've been told....
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I want to upgrade my wife's Sprint Palm Pre+ to a Pre2. Should I use a VZW CDMA Pre2 or a GSM Pre2? If either, is one type easier than the other?
    If you use a VZW Pre 2 , all you need to do is swap comms then run the stock VZW WebOS 2.1 Dr . No need for a meta dr , then after your done just install the navigation and tv .ipks .. Thats if you need them.
    touchpadjeff likes this.
    Im having major problems with the sprint franken meta doctor process I have tried alot of things. Finally got usb ports to work in VM to copy the jar file.

You noted that One can copy the jar and run in novacom installer. I did that and boom I get past 4% to get stuck at 12%. Do I have corrupt USB drive. How do I do the mem bootloader. Do I do it from windows, linux its not very clear where I start this at.

novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-castle.uImage

Thanks anyone I'm well into 10 hrs trying to get this to work.

Robert
    Last edited by allmetz36; 11/12/2011 at 01:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilandu View Post
    If you use a VZW Pre 2 , all you need to do is swap comms then run the stock VZW WebOS 2.1 Dr . No need for a meta dr , then after your done just install the navigation and tv .ipks .. Thats if you need them.
    Everything works great but can't seem to access 1x or EV data. I can make and recieve calls and texts but no data. Did I miss a step?
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilandu View Post
    Wait... What? If I have the verizon Pre 2 with the sprint comm board I don't need to use the meta doctor ? ? REALLY... How did I miss this & the stock Verizon 2.1 will just work on Sprint minus the Sprint apps? What about the PrL and whatnot?
    Quote Originally Posted by jmleese View Post
    Wait... What? If I have the verizon Pre 2 with the sprint comm board I don't need to use the meta doctor ? ? REALLY... How did I miss this & the stock Verizon 2.1 will just work on Sprint minus the Sprint apps? What about the PrL and whatnot?
    Im curious about that too... I'm waiting on my T5 screwdriver to do my franken pre, and this statement is the only one holding me back for now. If we don't have to do a meta dr, that would be great. Can anyone else confirm this? I'm planning on using a verizon pre2.
    Quote Originally Posted by DD007 View Post
    Im curious about that too... I'm waiting on my T5 screwdriver to do my franken pre, and this statement is the only one holding me back for now. If we don't have to do a meta dr, that would be great. Can anyone else confirm this? I'm planning on using a verizon pre2.
    I always thought the meta-doctor process was pretty straight forward. What I wish was in the guide when I did the swap was the fact that if you're using a verizon pre 2, you don't need to swap the backs just the antenna.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    I always thought the meta-doctor process was pretty straight forward. What I wish was in the guide when I did the swap was the fact that if you're using a verizon pre 2, you don't need to swap the backs just the antenna.
    I believe you need to install Unbutu to create the meta-doctor, there's some issue with creating it from windows. If using just the verizon doctor is possible, that would save me time from the whole Unbutu install process, thats the only thing holding me up that the moment.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast