Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    After I made the doctor I saved it to a usb drive and copied it to my windows pc so I have it for backup incase hp pulls the plug on doctors/downloads...I just made a 2nd partition on a spare laptop and its my webOS laptop to edit files on ubuntu etc. Its a pretty cool OS.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    So, what are people using instead of Sprint Navigation when upgrading to WebOS 2.1? Do any of the alternate mapping programs provide audible turn-by-turn instructions? I didn't like Sprint Nav as much as Tom-Tom on my Treo, but at least it is cloud based, and never out of date.
    I made the swap today. Installed the new software. It seems to work and the new phone has been logged into my Hp Webos account. But cannot restore my data??? It keeps telling me to try again.

Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKern View Post
    So, what are people using instead of Sprint Navigation when upgrading to WebOS 2.1? Do any of the alternate mapping programs provide audible turn-by-turn instructions? I didn't like Sprint Nav as much as Tom-Tom on my Treo, but at least it is cloud based, and never out of date.
    there is a way to keep using sprint nav-- just do a search for sprint navigation and you should find directions to extract and install the IPK
    Quote Originally Posted by rikriv View Post
    I made the swap today. Installed the new software. It seems to work and the new phone has been logged into my Hp Webos account. But cannot restore my data??? It keeps telling me to try again.

Any thoughts?
    I just made a FrankenPre too.
    There is a news item about backups not working. My suspicion is that the servers that do the backup are the same ones that restore, thus preventing our restores.
    We just chose the wrong weekend to do this.
    "Be excellent to each other!" -Bill & Ted
    so in theory, couldn't a VZW Pre 3 be "Franked"?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVisibleShadow View Post
    I just made a FrankenPre too.
    There is a news item about backups not working. My suspicion is that the servers that do the backup are the same ones that restore, thus preventing our restores.
    We just chose the wrong weekend to do this.
    I actually reverted back to Pre- 1.45, but this time without any Homebrew "enhancements". Then, made a new Palm back-up. Then FankenPre once again. This time it all worked. I suspect it worked because there the 1.45 was more native.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmleese View Post
    Wait... What? If I have the verizon Pre 2 with the sprint comm board I don't need to use the meta doctor ? ? REALLY... How did I miss this & the stock Verizon 2.1 will just work on Sprint minus the Sprint apps? What about the PrL and whatnot?

?????

I don't think this question ever got answered on this thread. Can someone answer definitively whether you need to use metadoctor if you plan to frankenpre a sprint pre+/- using a Verizon Pre 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by dvilhotti View Post
    ?????

I don't think this question ever got answered on this thread. Can someone answer definitively whether you need to use metadoctor if you plan to frankenpre a sprint pre+/- using a Verizon Pre 2?
    I did not use a metadoctor to complete the conversion, just the stock VZ 2.1-- no major issues that i'm aware of over past couple of months.. Text, data, GPS all work
  10. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I am trying to build up the courage for this. Software wise I am fine. Taking apart and putting back together worries me.

I just sent back my Iphone 4s so I need to do this quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by booyapre View Post
    I did not use a metadoctor to complete the conversion, just the stock VZ 2.1-- no major issues that i'm aware of over past couple of months.. Text, data, GPS all work
    I apologize that I need this spelled out but are you saying that:

1. I have an activated Sprint Pre- running 1.45
    2. I do a backup.
    3. I do the hardware frankenpre (swich Sprint CDMA to the Verizon Pre2)
    4. I do a restore from my WebOS account on the former Pre2
    5. No further action required software wise?

Thanks for clarifying

Quote Originally Posted by dvilhotti View Post
    ?????

I just franked a new Verizon Pre 2 with the comm board from my old Sprint Pre Minus. It went smooth as silk, and when I first powered up the frankenpre2 after the operation, it went directly to webOS 2.0.1. I did not need to metadoctor it. However, because I wanted webOS 2.1.0, I ran the stock 2.1 Doctor, straight from the webOS web site, with no problems.

It says Verizon on the mirror and under Carrier in the Device Info app. But it says Sprint on the launcher bar when I use the phone. I guess that's why they call it a frankenpre!

The Pre 2 is many-mucho-miles ahead of the old Pre. It feels much more solid, no oreo effect, much better USB socket, much nicer glass-and-rubber feeling. A great phone. The only thing I rather wish I had done is to move the old Minus orange keyboard over to the Pre 2. I like the color better than the dull white Pre 2 version. But no biggie . . . might do it later. (Or a Pre 3 might fall into my workshop, crying to be franked. Let's hope!)
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    Quote Originally Posted by Vscale View Post
    I apologize that I need this spelled out but are you saying that:

1. I have an activated Sprint Pre- running 1.45
    2. I do a backup.
    3. I do the hardware frankenpre (swich Sprint CDMA to the Verizon Pre2)
    4. I do a restore from my WebOS account on the former Pre2
    5. No further action required software wise?

Thanks for clarifying

after step 3 (switching the comm boards and closing phone back up) is when you would run the doctor, using either your metadoctor or the stock VZ 2.1 doctor..
    then go to "step 4" and sign into your palm profile!
    Thanks booyapre and GoBears.

That is exactly what I wanted to clarify... Hoping to clear the desk this afternoon and do the swap... Appreciate the swap confirmation and encouragement...

bob
    Thanks, this thread helped me alot!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBears View Post
    The only thing I rather wish I had done is to move the old Minus orange keyboard over to the Pre 2. I like the color better than the dull white Pre 2 version. But no biggie . . . might do it later. (Or a Pre 3 might fall into my workshop, crying to be franked. Let's hope!)
    I have been wondering about this. I hear that the original Pre keyboard is miles ahead of the Pre+ version, which was plagued by the double letter problem. I haven't heard too much about the Pre 2 keyboard, but I know it is white and not orange AND based on my playing with it once at the Verizon store, I thought the Pre 2 keyboard was bigger than the original Pre keyboard (which I was not pleased about because it made typing with one hand much more difficult).

But

You want to switch back to the orange one? Does that mean they ARE the same size? My orange keyboard works fine and I'd like to keep it when I Frankenpre. Can I?
    Quote Originally Posted by booyapre View Post
    there is a way to keep using sprint nav-- just do a search for sprint navigation and you should find directions to extract and install the IPK
    I need some help with this - are you saying doing a search for "sprint navigation" on Google, or just on the forums here?

Either way, I come up with hundreds of results, none of which give me the IPK (or instructions) that I need.

I have run an IPK that I got from 00Morrison00 (who helped me get the 2.0 installation going), but the Sprint Nav never comes up. Do I need to completely delete the Verizon nav files, and where are they?

Thanks -
    Thanks to booyapre for the IPK - Sprint Nav is now working on my Frankenpre!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Thanks to booyapre for the IPK - Sprint Nav is now working on my Frankenpre!
    glad to be able to put you in the right direction...
    for reference, here is the link that I passed on so that proper credit can be assigned!

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post3149741

be sure to thank those folks!
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Anyone have a problem with the voice command or tv app on the sprint Franken pre 2? I am looking for some guidance.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast