Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Okay, both my daughter and I are considering purchasing the Pre 2, since HP has decided to not sell the Pre 3. The reviews I've read on them are quite mixed. The most common complaints are the short battery life, small keys, and limited apps. I'm a long time Palm user, (last phone was Treo 755p) and have a Touchpad and am familiar with WebOS. My daughter is on Verizon and currently has a Palm Pixi Plus, and is willing to extend her contract for the Pre 2. I, on the other hand, am looking at purchasing an unlocked GSM Pre 2.

What are the advantages to owning this phone (aside from being able to use WebOS? What are its shortcomings? Will the Pre 2 be able to do the touch thing with the Touchpad? Is the Pre 2 much of a step-up from the Pixi Plus?
    Last edited by Treo Musketeers; 09/10/2011 at 05:07 AM.
    All for One and One for All!
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    Okay, both my daughter and I are considering purchasing the Pre 2, since HP has decided to not sell the Pre 3. The reviews I've read on them are quite mixed. The most common complaints are the short battery life, small keys, and limited apps. I'm a long time Palm user, (last phone was Treo 755) and have a Touchpad and am familiar with WebOS. My daughter is on Verizon, and is willing to extend her contract for the Pre 2. I, on the other hand, am looking at purchasing an unlocked GSM Pre 2.

What are the advantages to owning this phone (aside from being able to use WebOS? What are its shortcomings? Will the Pre 2 be able to do the touch thing with the Touchpad?
    will not be able to do the touch thing ever with the touchpad as it does not have the right hardware. The veer has the right hardware but needs upgraded software to do it which it had not gotten (yet). On the other hand, I have software app NEATO! On Pre2 which does transfer URLs if the app is open on the phone.

battery ok for modern smartphone. It takes a week or so to condition new
    battery. GPS or Bluetooth will run it down in a matter of some hours if left on continuously so I turn them on as needed and keep spare batteries around. I throw the phone on the touchstone charger most nights. Searching for a signal in a place of poor reception can also run down battery. I've been happy with my battery but take a spare when I am traveling all day. Spares can be found on amazon for under $5.

no of apps is much less for webOS than some other platforms. I only use a few apps on my phone even though I have tons there, find out what you need and see if webOS supports it with an app.

key size ok for me and typing is easy. Some love it, some pine for the larger pre3 keyboard, enough people like the pre2 that I would say it is very usable.

you can share phonecalls with touchpad over Bluetooth but I have found an echo, someone said using the pre headphone which has a mike on the touchpad will reduce echo, I will have to try it to see.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    the Pre 2 is awesome. I just got an unlocked one on ebay for cheap, and its a great phone. I can get a day out of the battery easy (my Pre Plus before this struggled to get through a day), and the keyboard is much better than the pre plus as well; its not quite as clicky as the pixi, but its still very nice and easy to text on (and no double/missed keypressed like the pre plus). The build quality is much better, and so is the screen.

Like bluenote said, it won't to the touch to share thing with touchpad, and like any phone, gps WILL drain the battery fast, but this is not specific to the pre or webos; gps is a battery killer on any phone, so just be careful if using a lot of google maps or foursquare or something.

In terms of apps, all the big ones are there like facebook and whatnot. I think you'll be fine and find most of what you need. Additionally there is Preware which adds some homebrew apps (and patches) which are not app catalog sanctioned, but still good.

anyway, hope that helps
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Best phone I've ever had. Been using Smartphones since around 2004. Quickest and easiest to set up (once I found a sim that would allow me to setup a Pre Account though you can get around that quite easily).

If you turn all the wireless/GPS stuff off and run in 2G mode (fine for calls and SMS) then mine runs for around 3 days on a charge. With it in 3G mode its just over a day.

As mentioned getting a Touchstone is key. It makes 'charging' a non issue as its just so cool the slap the phone on the base and let it charge. Quite a different experience to having to find a crappy lead and plug it in. Odd but true.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I've been considering a Pre 2 for a few days now, I've seen the pre2 on Sprint conversion and would love to do it as I'm so accustomed to the great rate I get from sprint, however I have moved a few times since launch day and now live in an area of poor reception for sprint. Verizon seems to be my most affordable choice for actual coverage as I think Att&t may be a Bit more pricey (though I have not verified). I will be checking out the Verizon store soon to get a look at their Pre 2. My main concern is the performance of the hotspot feature with the tethering plan. Does it have significant issues in areas of adequate signal strength? Would 8 be able to use it with my touchpad and not notice major differences from my home WiFi? What are your experiences?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit 4 View Post
    I've been considering a Pre 2 for a few days now, I've seen the pre2 on Sprint conversion and would love to do it as I'm so accustomed to the great rate I get from sprint, however I have moved a few times since launch day and now live in an area of poor reception for sprint. Verizon seems to be my most affordable choice for actual coverage as I think Att&t may be a Bit more pricey (though I have not verified). I will be checking out the Verizon store soon to get a look at their Pre 2. My main concern is the performance of the hotspot feature with the tethering plan. Does it have significant issues in areas of adequate signal strength? Would 8 be able to use it with my touchpad and not notice major differences from my home WiFi? What are your experiences?
    I just recently picked up a pre 2 on verizon. I've been with my OG Droid since launch day and it had gone to ****. I picked up a touchpad during the firesale and fell in love with webOS. I had an upgrade and got the pre2 online for $50. So far I really like this phone, and with preware and freetether I can tether to my touchpad for free. Its been working great for me so far.
    I've got the Pre-, Pre2 and recently the Pre3. I really like the Pre2 and tend to use it more.

Biggest advantage for me over the Pre- is webOS 2.1. There are newer apps for it, the slider is solid. The glass screen is also great -- very clear. Another big thing is it doesn't have the flimsy usb cover. Also it is a lot faster that the Pre-. I don't have a Pre+ to judge speed with that. The Pre2 battery life has been great for me, though it needs a charge everyday more if I have to take a lot of calls on it -- 5 email accounts and calendars on push.

I think the others are right about data taking a lot of battery. My wife has started using my Pre-, she doesn't have a data plan and doesn't want one. So the Pre- is on wifi only, but gps is left on. She gets 2 days out of it, though she easily talks for several hours plus 20 sms a day on it. Only manually syncs email when needed.

Love the Pre3 but if I'm out and about, I tend to take the Pre2 and leave the Pre3 at home. That might be because I'm scared to drop the Pre3. But also because the Pre2 sits really flat on the touchstone in my car. The Pre3 doesn't, it has a more curved back. Also all the things I like to do that are better with a larger screen seem to work better and cost less over wifi. For my mobile plan anyway, but I've never been a big gamer. Pre2 also fits better in my pants pocket, the Pre3 needs a jacket pocket.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    I myself just switched from the Droid X to the Pre2. Sure, there are a few more things the Android phones can do and all of them have larger screens than the Pre2, but the overall satisfaction and intuitiveness of the Pre2 is just hands down, better than the Droid X.

Also, the Pre2 is much more pocketable and the overall for factor is perfect. Perhaps a slightly larger screen is all that I wish for but the positives more than make up for the smaller screen compared to my Droid X.

I think you'll really like the phone. It really is a treat to use and the card feature is so intuitive and second nature, you'll wonder how you managed without it. True multitasking at its best.
  9.    #9  
    Well we decided against the Pre 2 for my daughter because Verizon wanted another $30 / month for wifi hotspot, which is free on her Pixi Plus. We already pay $30 data plan with Verizon. Just not worth it.

I'm still researching whether my carrier (Cincinnati Bell) can give me a SIM card that would allow me to sign into my HP/Palm accounts, before deciding to get the Pre 2 Unlocked.
    jaltman likes this.
    I've been using a Pre since early 2010. I recently upgraded to a Droid incredible 2 since I knew the pre 3 isn't coming and I had an upgrade option on my carrier. I used it for a couple of weeks and then after getting my touchpad and falling back in love with webos, I meta-doctored 2.x onto my Pre and have been using that for a few weeks. I mostly like the 2.x OS changes (working voice dial!) but didn't like the lagginess even when overclocking.

I came across a good buy on a pre 2 on ebay and it arrived yesterday. While I can't yet comment on battery life, I will say so far that I'm having a very pleasant and positive experience with the device. I haven't really seen any lagginess after the initial restore of my apps. It feels very snappy and responsive, looks great and so far works great.

I suspect that a lot of people didn't want the pre 2 because they knew that the pre 3 was coming and then when that was cancelled they probably moved on to android but in my limited use so far, I think this is a very solid upgrade for people who liked their Pre's but need a working and/or faster version of it. I wish it had a better camera but so far so good.

I gave about $115USD for mine brand new with no contract.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Well we decided against the Pre 2 for my daughter because Verizon wanted another $30 / month for wifi hotspot, which is free on her Pixi Plus. We already pay $30 data plan with Verizon. Just not worth it.

I'm still researching whether my carrier (Cincinnati Bell) can give me a SIM card that would allow me to sign into my HP/Palm accounts, before deciding to get the Pre 2 Unlocked.
    Treo - Seriously, the wifi hotspot thing should not be a consideration. I am using freeTether, available for free as the name suggests, on my Sprint Pre- and on the Verizon Pre 2 I am trying out to see if I want to switch carriers. It works just fine as a mobile hotspot and doesn't cost anything (other than the standard data I am already paying for).

Loading up Preware, which gives you access to many applications (including freeTether) and patches outside of the official app catalog, is pretty straight-forward.

Just for the heck of it, I asked the Verizon rep whether there was any policy against using my own, free mobile hotspot software. She said it wasn't "recommended," but that it's not prohibited.

I don't know if you have already pulled the trigger on <whatever other phone you were going to get>, but I would hugely recommend looking at FreeTether before making that call.

Best of luck

russ
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for the input guys. My daughter has for the moment just kept her Pixi Plus. I knew of Free Tether, but never having used it, I assumed it was an app that allowed 1:1 tethering (e.g. direct tethering via usb cable or bluetooth with another device). I didn't realize that it enabled the device as a wifi hotspot. That would be a great solution. If that is the case, then we'll get her the phone.
    Ebay man... avoid the contracts, get a very nice webos phone for less than 150. If she likes her pixi plus, she'll love the Pre 2 and webOS 2.1
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Okay, both my daughter and I are considering purchasing the Pre 2, since HP has decided to not sell the Pre 3. The reviews I've read on them are quite mixed. The most common complaints are the short battery life, small keys, and limited apps. I'm a long time Palm user, (last phone was Treo 755p) and have a Touchpad and am familiar with WebOS. My daughter is on Verizon and currently has a Palm Pixi Plus, and is willing to extend her contract for the Pre 2. I, on the other hand, am looking at purchasing an unlocked GSM Pre 2.

What are the advantages to owning this phone (aside from being able to use WebOS? What are its shortcomings? Will the Pre 2 be able to do the touch thing with the Touchpad? Is the Pre 2 much of a step-up from the Pixi Plus?
    I recently bought a PRE2 off ebay because I was always interested in the webos and a smaller phone. My primary phone is a Droid X2. Although the PRE2 lacks a larger screen and the other wizardry of newer phones I find it acceptable and find myself not too bothered by the hardware. The real issue is the lack of the apps that I have become used to on Android.

It boils down to this.. as companies produce apps that make interfacing with their business eaiser, those with Webos phones will be left in the cold unless the community is still committed to producing apps for webos. This fire sale could bring an influx of interest into webos or just ultimately leave alot of people with phones that are cool but arent as useful as other competing phones.
    Besides my Trio 750P the Pre2 is the best phone I've ever owned.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    You can get an extended battery to help with the battery life. I got a Seidio Innocell 1350 for my Pre- and it made all the difference in getting through the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
    Best phone I've ever had. Been using Smartphones since around 2004. Quickest and easiest to set up (once I found a sim that would allow me to setup a Pre Account though you can get around that quite easily).
    I've been thinking about an unlocked Pre2. This would be my first GSM phone, can you elaborate on the SIM issue? If I go with AT&T, will I have any issues?
    Pre 2 is light years ahead of the Pixi+, and significantly better than the Pre+ (have them all). I use my VZW Pre 2 with FreeTether. Just make sure your data plan is sufficient for any wifi hotspot use. I occasionally use it to give my TouchPad internet service when out and about without a wifi hotspot. Also use it at work on occasion to provide a work TouchPad with wifi for updates (not allowed on the company internet until such time as we have a secure wireless in the building with token generators to login). The battery life on my Pre+ got me through the day on most occasions, but when I had to use it a lot, I needed to put it on a charger. The Pre 2 makes it through the day with ease. I generally only use a charger at work when I'm going to be using the wifi for a bit and I'm at my desk. Once in the car, plunk, right onto the Touchstone it goes, but I usually still have 55-70% battery life after 8.5 hours of light to moderate use.
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    You can get an extended battery to help with the battery life. I got a Seidio Innocell 1350 for my Pre- and it made all the difference in getting through the day.
    Or on amazon get a spare battery for like $3. There was 2 different ones so I just bought them both. I have been through the lg revolution,droid x2, iphone4,and veer and the pre2 is easily my favorite. My only complainet is maybe a little bit bigger screen.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast