Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    Still enjoying my new Pre 2. I have zero interest in going back to my Droid Incredible 2 right now. The Pre 2 is very responsive, the keyboard works great and its turning out to be a great phone.

I haven't enjoyed browsing the web on any phone, including my android phones. The Pre 2 is maybe slightly worse than the Dinc2 due to screen size and resolution but it hasn't been an issue- particularly since I usually have a touchpad nearby.

I will renew my recommendation that webOS fans who need a new phone consider the Pre 2... especially if you can get one off-contract.
    I appreciate this question being asked and thanks so much to everyone who responded. I seem to be getting closer and closer to doin' the FrankenPre (2) thang each day thanks to y'all. And now that I have a Touchpad, I'm really gettin' the itch.

But I'm scared of ruining the devices. Nevertheless, if I can't find someone whom I can pay to do it in the Twin Cities area, I might just have to try it myself.....( )
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    I've been thinking about an unlocked Pre2. This would be my first GSM phone, can you elaborate on the SIM issue? If I go with AT&T, will I have any issues?
    Well here in the UK when you insert a SIM into the phone the Pre2 will first of all try to setup a HP account for the phone. For some reason a few data settings on the SIMS didnt seem to work. My main SIM wouldnt allow me to connect to the data network to create the account.

You can however get around this by typing in the developer code into the phone via the SOS call panel. Once you have done that the phone works fine except for the App Store.

I just tried a few PAYG sims that I had alying around and found one that worked for the data and then created the account. Once done I just swapped the SIMS back and hey presto I had access to the App Store.
    I have what's probably a dumb question: to activate a Sprint (Franken)Pre 2, what band does the Pre 2 have to be? Is this "GSM/WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900" O.K.? Are there others that are O.K.? Does it even matter? Sorry, but I'm new to looking around for a Pre 2.

Thanks!

Edit/update: I'm still wondering how I can tell if the Pre 2 I buy is going to work. I noticed on webosinternals' "WebOS 2 Upgrade" pages that there are sections for "Sprint Franken Pre 2" as well as "Sprint Franken Verizon Pre 2."

I'm assuming that I can therefore buy an unlocked or Verizon Pre 2, but I still don't understand the "GSM" etc. radio stuff--does it matter? As you can probably tell (but just in case), I want to go from a Sprint Pre minus to the Franken Pre 2.

And are there advantages or disadvantages to buying a unlocked vs. a Verizon Pre 2?

Next, the "WebOS 2 Upgrade" instructions are confusing regarding backing up. So, if I 1) do a Save/Restore and I 2) have all my calendars and e-mails and contacts backed up with google gmail, my Outlook, and CompanionLink, am I good to go? Are there things in my Palm Profile I still need to back up or worry about? The instructions list "account information, email signatures, bookmarks, memos, tasks, SSM/MMS messages, and icon/launcher arrangement," but I'm not worried about most of those except "account information" and, of course, all my apps. Should I be? Can't I just sign in once I'm on the Pre 2?

And what about my Touchpad profile? I'm not sure about the Palm/HP profiles for both devices, i.e., if they're somehow the same or linked or if they're totally separate.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Pre in MN; 09/17/2011 at 12:01 AM. Reason: lots of questions!
    *bump* please see previous post (sorry, just realized an edit doesn't bump it up)
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I'm not an expert, but I "think" (but pretty sure) that the only difference between the Verizon and Unlocked Pre's is the comm board, and since you'll be switching that to get the Pre working on your Sprint account it should work out fine.

Though, you probably want to confirm this before you set your money on the table.
    Thanks tvouge, but any experts out there? Would somebody please give me a definitive answer to my post above--#24? I'm eager to get in on ebay and Craigslist offerings and I need to know which Pre 2 will work on Sprint. Thanks!

Edit: I just found this in another thread: "The difference with the Unlocked GSM pres is that the COMM board and the back bezel needs to be swapped. For the CDMA pres you only need the COMM board."

Can anyone verify this? I'm assuming a GSM unlocked Pre 2 is unaffiliated with a carrier and a CDMA Pre 2 is a Verizon Pre 2? Thank you.
    Last edited by Pre in MN; 09/17/2011 at 09:44 PM.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Okay, Your good for backing up, unless you wanna back up your USB partition to your computer. I did all that. But with the new scripts(i went from palm pre~Verizon pre 2) Your profile should synch fine my did. Also If you get a GSM pre 2 or verizon pre 2 It dosent matter As long has to swap the entire back bezel. Which contains the commboard.
    Thanks, giggles! Just a quick clarification: does "as long [as you] swap the entire back bezel which contains the commboard" apply to both the GSM and the Verizon? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    Thanks tvouge, but any experts out there? Would somebody please give me a definitive answer to my post above--#24? I'm eager to get in on ebay and Craigslist offerings and I need to know which Pre 2 will work on Sprint. Thanks!

Edit: I just found this in another thread: "The difference with the Unlocked GSM pres is that the COMM board and the back bezel needs to be swapped. For the CDMA pres you only need the COMM board."

Can anyone verify this? I'm assuming a GSM unlocked Pre 2 is unaffiliated with a carrier and a CDMA Pre 2 is a Verizon Pre 2? Thank you.
    Member "65fastback" is the member you should pi g. He even has a service to do this conversion:

http://forums.precentral.net/marketp...nken-pre2.html
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Thanks, giggles! Just a quick clarification: does "as long [as you] swap the entire back bezel which contains the commboard" apply to both the GSM and the Verizon? Thanks!
    Yes Like I clarified in my post dosent matter wither which you have as long as you swap the entire back bezel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Member "65fastback" is the member you should pi g. He even has a service to do this conversion:

http://forums.precentral.net/marketp...nken-pre2.html
    Yep, already checked with folks doing the service, but I really can't see being without a phone for any length of time unless they lived nearby and I could wait while they did the procedure. But I haven't found anyone in or around the Twin Cities....know anyone?

And thanks, giggles!
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Yep, already checked with folks doing the service, but I really can't see being without a phone for any length of time unless they lived nearby and I could wait while they did the procedure. But I haven't found anyone in or around the Twin Cities....know anyone?

And thanks, giggles!

honestly its not hard anybody should be able to do this. Just re-read the instructions 2-3 times before starting(watch the webos 2 upgrade video on youtube that they have on the wiki nice preview). Ask all questions on here before/during/after. Set everything up beforehand and have webosinternals pulled up on IRC. Just follow the instructions to the T. Id have ubuntu dual booted with 15 gigs of space to make things easier. And disassemble the phones slowy. And before putting the pre 2 back together make sure the commboard sockets are snapped in and everything looks good. Put into recovery mode and fire up the doctor. And viola
    I'll do it for $30
    Thanks, Longshotx, but I guess I'll give it a go myself if I can snag a Pre 2. Everybody keeps saying it's not that bad.

Thanks, again, giggles!
    Here I go again:

On ebay, most Pre 2s are listed thusly:

Key Features
    Color Black
    Network Technology GSM / WCDMA (UMTS)
    Band WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900
    Camera5.0 MP
    Operating SystemHP webOS 2.0

I’m a little confused: first it says “GSM,” but then it adds “WCDMA.”

So does that qualify for CDMA? I was told that it's easier to Frankenpre a CDMA phone. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Just dont pay attention to any of that. Just but the cheapest pre2.
    Thanks, giggles, I just pulled the trigger and did the "Buy Now" deal on ebay for the unlocked GSM version. The last auction ended at $170 plus shipping, I believe, and ebay's trend graph showed that prices have been climbing. I paid $180 including charger and case with free shipping, so I guess that's not too bad.

But now I'm trippin' that I'm gonna do this Frankenpre procedure!

Actually, I'm looking forward to it and the challenge. I just hope I don't spend a whole weekend in frustration and/or go without a phone for too long.

Wish me luck!
    @ Pre in MN

You can start working on Ubuntu install, Pre- backup, meta-doctor while your phone arrives. PM me and I can share an excel file that I used as check list.
    I frankenpre a Verizon Pre2, but steps are "almost" the same.
    Thanks, renck, good advice! BTW: you already sent me the file. Do I need to know the different steps?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12