Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Hi fellow Palmsters,

    I purchased a new unlocked GSM AT&T Pre2 off Ebay a couple of days ago. It has yet to arrive but I want to use it on Bell Mobility's GSM network since I still have 6 months left on my contract & my CDMA Pre- is getting a bit shaky & I still love webOS (hear me Leo, ya shmuck?).

    It seems from reading other threads that in order to log on to my existing profile & get paid apps I have to activate it first on Rogers since they launched the Pre2 here.

    Do I have that right or can I just activate it straight up on Bell & have a good activation (w/ paid apps)?

    Or, perish the thought, am I screwed because it's an unlocked AT&T phone & not a Rogers phone?

    Many thanks in advance - Richard
  2. #2  
    Reference to this: No Paid Apps on pre 2 Bell Canada - Support Community

    This is your best bet to stay safe.


    If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Reference to this: No Paid Apps on pre 2 Bell Canada - Support Community

    This is your best bet to stay safe.
    Thanks for that. I had seen that before, actually. Sorry to be dense, but does that mean an unlocked phone originally from AT&T can't be completely activated even on Rogers, which, again, was the Canadian launch carrier?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  4. #4  
    After searching around a little bit, it seems like the issue has been resolved.

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2925979


    If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    After searching around a little bit, it seems like the issue has been resolved.

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2925979
    Well that looks promising. Guess I'll find out when my phone gets here. Thanks for that!

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    After searching around a little bit, it seems like the issue has been resolved.

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2925979
    Actually, looking again, it still doesn't answer my question as those guys are using Rogers pre2s on Bell, I want to use an AT&T pre2 on Bell.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  7. #7  
    I had an unlocked Pre 2 working on Bell with paid apps by ONLY activating the phone with Bell, you will be fine!

    Also, to get MMS to work, you should refer to my post on this link.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...mms-fixed.html
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by marclh1992 View Post
    I had an unlocked Pre 2 working on Bell with paid apps by ONLY activating the phone with Bell, you will be fine!

    Also, to get MMS to work, you should refer to my post on this link.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...mms-fixed.html
    Cool! Muchas gracias amigo ! I'm just paranoid about the at&t thing.

    And I will definitely check out your MMS post when I get the dang thing.

    Cheers.
  9. #9  
    During the original setup, you may have some problems with the Bell APN setting correctly, if you don't get a stable connection or none at all, reboot the phone and try again, it will eventually work
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by marclh1992 View Post
    During the original setup, you may have some problems with the Bell APN setting correctly, if you don't get a stable connection or none at all, reboot the phone and try again, it will eventually work
    Thanks for that. I was going to get a Bell guy/gal to activate it but do you recommend I go the Bell self serve route ? Is it fairly straightforward?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  11. #11  
    You need to buy the SIM card. You can go in any Bell store to get it. It should take a few minutes (you'll have to open up the phone for the guy to enter it's IMEI and he will print out a tree worth of paper for you to sign).

    Make sure you in a place with great reception. Put the SIM in the phone and boot. You'll have bars, but no 3G. You need to manually enter the APN (inet.bell.ca) I think there is an option or you'll be asked when the phone can't get any data connection (don't remember exactly how it's done, but it should be close to obvious).

    After your profile is activated, the phone will start restoring it and will download all your apps.

    Note that you better install Save/Restore (you need Preware to install it) and backup your apps data of your old phone, copy the saverestore folder to a PC) as the Palm Profile does not store all of your apps data (just the Palm apps and even then, it does not backup text messages and some other stuff). Once your apps are restores, open each of them and close them. Then load Preware and Save/Restore, copy the saved files from your computer and restore them with Save/Restore (Homebrew documentation app is your friend here if that's not clrear enough).

    If some of your apps do not restore it's because they are not compatible with webOS 2.1. You can't do anything about it (but there should not be a lot of apps in that situation).

    As soon as you can, I suggest you System Updates and verify if webOS is at the latest version.

    You should have access to paid apps.

    Have fun!
  12. #12  
    It has been resolved. I originally activated my non-Rogers Pre 2 on Bell. For a while, I didn't have access to the App Catalog, but that has been fixed for some time now.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
    You need to buy the SIM card. You can go in any Bell store to get it. It should take a few minutes (you'll have to open up the phone for the guy to enter it's IMEI and he will print out a tree worth of paper for you to sign).

    Make sure you in a place with great reception. Put the SIM in the phone and boot. You'll have bars, but no 3G. You need to manually enter the APN (inet.bell.ca) I think there is an option or you'll be asked when the phone can't get any data connection (don't remember exactly how it's done, but it should be close to obvious).

    After your profile is activated, the phone will start restoring it and will download all your apps.

    Note that you better install Save/Restore (you need Preware to install it) and backup your apps data of your old phone, copy the saverestore folder to a PC) as the Palm Profile does not store all of your apps data (just the Palm apps and even then, it does not backup text messages and some other stuff). Once your apps are restores, open each of them and close them. Then load Preware and Save/Restore, copy the saved files from your computer and restore them with Save/Restore (Homebrew documentation app is your friend here if that's not clrear enough).

    If some of your apps do not restore it's because they are not compatible with webOS 2.1. You can't do anything about it (but there should not be a lot of apps in that situation).

    As soon as you can, I suggest you System Updates and verify if webOS is at the latest version.

    You should have access to paid apps.

    Have fun!
    Most cool. Many thanks for all your help fellow palmsters !

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  14. #14  
    If the APN inet.bell.ca does not work, use pda.bell.ca OR pda2.bell.ca
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
  15.    #15  
    Well cats, I am now up & running - with paid apps! This thing rocks !

    Btw, the APN I used was inet.bell.ca (that manual entry process did freak me out a bit, since nothing seemed to be happening for a long time) - & the username/password I used on that scene was my Palm profile info.

    You guys were really great with your help, I really appreciate it. Now my 6 touchstones (really), several spare batteries & other motley accessories can be happy again in their palmness.

    Cheers dudes !

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  16. #16  
    There is no need to enter any username/password in the APN scene.

    Glad you made it work!
  17. #17  
    I tried inet.bell.ca and it would never work for me, so I have no idea whats going on there Glad to see it work for you!
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Posting Permissions