Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So first off since I plan to start posting a lot more now, I will briefly introduce myself and explain my love for webOS (this will still be a long post! sorry!). I was working for Marketsource who works with HP and my job was selling the TouchPad and Veer. One of the nicest perks of the job is that I got both of those devices...and fell in love with both of them right away. Obviously with HP's decision to cancel webOS hardware (idiots), my job ended and since I don't have AT&T, my Veer became kind of pointless (the TouchPad is still kicking though!). I got my first smartphone in early June and was dying to try out android (hadn't even heard of webOS and I worked at Best Buy Mobile for 3 months before then). I went through the LG revolution and Droid X2 and hated both of them to say the least (I could go into lots of detail, but I won't).
    Anyways I went with the fruit company and got an iphone4, (I have nothing against Apple, I just don't like supporting the biggest name and having a device everyone else has) webOS could not have come around at a better time.
    For me it was just simple to use and made sense. It actually worked like a "smart"phone. Once I saw Pre2's going for right around $150 on eBay I knew I had to give the Pre2 a shot since I loved my Veer so much even with its obvious flaws (HP should have never released the Veer first either).
    So that brings me to now, I have given up an iPhone4 to go back to what I know and love (or think I know and love). I want to get the most out of my Pre2 because I will probably sell my iPhone and my girlfriend will freak out on me if I say I want another phone.
    Some things I am curious on that I love on my iPhone that I want on my Pre2 are...
    1. Turn by Turn GPS? Does it have it? Is there an app? I am not using VZ Navigator.
    2. Spotify actually works thank goodness, it wouldn't stream on my Veer. What other music apps are good? Besides Slacker and Pandora.
    3. What is the closest RSS reader to Pulse? Pulse was one of the easiest and visually pleasing apps I have ever used. I know there are a lot of different RSS readers out there and I have heard little about google reader except that its not bad either.
    4. Does Evernote still suck? It was horrible on my Veer and TouchPad, I am assuming its no different here?
    5. Is there any significant risk to open my Pre2 up and use homebrew apps (or whatever you call them, the correct terminology I'm still learning). I have the documentation app, is everything I need to know pretty much in there?
    Sorry for the long post you guys, I look forward to interacting with you and continuing webOS!

PS-What does it mean to FrankenPre? I see the term and I love it lol.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Can't really answer 1-4...
    5 - As far as i remember there is no risk at all if you use homebrew apps or patches on your Pre2. You'll be surprised how those little patches make a huge difference.
    Though overclocking your phone by using the various kernels may/will void the phone warranty.
    INHO homebrews and patches are the only reason why so many people stuck with WebOS.

FrankenPre - Hardware alteration to make Pre2 work on Sprint (as it was never released on Sprint)
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Turn by turn navigation is free on Sprint (and nice) if you FrankenPre.

Welcome.
    There is an app called nDrive that provides navigation using the GPS chip via satellites. Some things to consider are that it is $49 and the maps take up ~2GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by jopamora View Post
    There is an app called nDrive that provides navigation using the GPS chip via satellites. Some things to consider are that it is $49 and the maps take up ~2GB.
    The app is data-independent as well so you don't need to download maps unlike other turn-by-turn apps.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  6.    #6  
    I won't be going to Sprint anytime soon and I don't really care about my warranty since I bought it from eBay anyways. I'm so excited to try it! lol and nDrive is really the only option? I don't care about data, I mean it sucks it takes up that much space but its more the cost that's getting me. I had MotionGPS on my iPhone and it was $20 for a year. Also that's what I thought FrankenPre meant, but I still don't get the connection!
    First off. Welcome to the Precentral and webOS community. You'll find out quick why we are one of (if not) the best community.

Quote Originally Posted by knicks2030 View Post
    1. Turn by Turn GPS? Does it have it? Is there an app? I am not using VZ Navigator.
    nDrive app is turn-by-turn but costs $50 bucks (Right now it's on sale for $25). The good news is that the maps are stored on the device so a data connection is not needed.

2. Spotify actually works thank goodness, it wouldn't stream on my Veer. What other music apps are good? Besides Slacker and Pandora.
    Plenty of internet radio apps. I don't really use them, but I see them occasionally appear in the catalog.

3. What is the closest RSS reader to Pulse? Pulse was one of the easiest and visually pleasing apps I have ever used. I know there are a lot of different RSS readers out there and I have heard little about google reader except that its not bad either.
    Newsroom is the best RSS reader I have ever used. It is one of the most visual pleasing apps I have and works flawlessly. It is $5 however, but the most used app I use.
    4. Does Evernote still suck? It was horrible on my Veer and TouchPad, I am assuming its no different here?
    I don't know much in this regard. I have never used the app. All I know is that the app was updated in January to be compatible with 2.x devices.

5. Is there any significant risk to open my Pre2 up and use homebrew apps (or whatever you call them, the correct terminology I'm still learning). I have the documentation app, is everything I need to know pretty much in there?
    Sorry for the long post you guys, I look forward to interacting with you and continuing webOS!
    There is little to no risk with homebrew. The only side effect is that certain patches may conflict or make your system unstable. If so, just uninstall the patch and report your findings to the maintainer of the patch. The main risk comes with installing kernels and overclocking. The PHD app is a great start and has most of what you need to know. Browse and search these forums for any questions you may have. I guarantee someone has asked the question already. For example "is overclocking bad?" "does leaving your device on the touchstone hurt it?" and "my phone is bricked?" (The phone doesn't brick btw).

PS-What does it mean to FrankenPre? I see the term and I love it lol.
    FrankenPre means to take an activated communication board from a Pre- and exchange it with the one in a Pre Plus or Pre2 so you can use it on the carrier of choice. The main configuration is taking a Sprint Pre- and exchanging it with a Pre2 (since the Pre2 isn't available on Sprint) so you can use the Pre2 on Sprint.

8.    #8  
    Oh okay I get it a little bit more and thanks Abyssul for answering each question as best you could! I don't really like internet radio apps (besides those 3 I mentioned and spotify is more than that imo), but I guess I meant more for music on the device, but I just realized no SD, so I will probably stick with Spotify or start using google music more. I just downloaded nDrive, $25 isn't bad. I will have to try out that Newsroom app, $5 is a lot, but if its as good as you say it is and anything close to pulse it will be worth it. Also no Kindle app, anything else to read books?
    pReader is an ebook reader and can be found in the homebrew feed in Preware. There are two versions. Read about them below.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...doc-files.html

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...a-release.html

I realized there is also a Grooveshark app. I keep all my music on my Zune so I only use my Pre2 as a backup for a few albums/artists.

I looked up Pulse (never heard of the app until now) and I would say that Newsroom is up to par visually. When I use it, it "just works." There are certainly plenty of other RSS apps though. If you are ever on the edge about an app, just look up written reviews:

http://www.webosroundup.com/2010/01/newsroom-review/
    http://www.precentral.net/review-newsroom

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    nDrive app is turn-by-turn but costs $50 bucks (Right now it's on sale for $25). The good news is that the maps are stored on the device so a data connection is not needed.
    Will nDrive work for VZW Pre2's? My Pre2 is only marginally better at tracking me (using google maps app) compared to my Pre+. I have GPS fix installed also but that didn't seem to make a big difference...
    Quote Originally Posted by dki378 View Post
    Will nDrive work for VZW Pre2's? My Pre2 is only marginally better at tracking me (using google maps app) compared to my Pre+. I have GPS fix installed also but that didn't seem to make a big difference...
    If I remember correctly, the only GPS problem was with the original Palm Pre Plus on Verizon. The Pre2 should be fine, but I could be wrong. All the GPS programs use the same API so the GPS performance is going to be nearly identical no matter what app it is.

Question, and something I have been curious about.

If I buy a Verizon Pre2...if I want to set it up on Sprint with the FrankenPre process, does Sprint Nav still work - as this is the only reason I have not done so. I like my Sprint Nav above all the other GPSes.

Guess my main concern is if FrankenPre a Pre2 to Sprint what features that I currently have on my Pre- will break (Sprint Nav, Football, etc) and what about webOS Doctoring and Backups.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Sprint Navi thread link: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...g-2-1-0-a.html

Metadoctor will install all other Sprint apps. The system will prompt you eventually to "update" to 2.1.0. This will remove all your Sprint apps, but you can simply reinstall them by extracting them from the meta-doctor.jar file and installing via WOSQI. The only feature that the Sprint Pre2 doesn't have is PRL update. There are ways to get around this though:

Sprint PRL Update - WebOS Internals

If you wish to redoctor your FrankenPre2, just use the same webOS doctor that you used originally. Backups and everything else work the same (except for the Blackboard app for college students, but I created a patch to bypass that if you are interested).

Your Veer can also be used with an H20 wireless sim card without needing to unlock.
    They have a prepaid monthly data unlimited for $60 (they use the ATT network).

They also have a minute by minute without data. Combining purchase of a $10 3 month expiration card with a monthly minute by minute had the effect on my account of changing the monthly minute by minute into a 3 month expiration also and thus my cost per minute dropped considerably. Of course after 3 months I would have to buy another $10 card in order for the unused minutes to roll over. I also turned off the data feature but would use it like an ipod touch if I was connected to a wireless network.
    Quote Originally Posted by dki378 View Post
    I have the same question... I just recently acquired a Pre 2 on the Verizon network. The GPS does NOT work, correctly. If you turn on Google Maps, it will find you (sometimes it will find exactly where you are), but if you are travelling in a car, the little blue dot just stays frozen on the screen, and only updates every once in a while. I think this is Verizon purposefully handicapping GPS since I am not paying $10 per month for VZ Navigator.

I have no problem investing in the money for NDrive as long as I will be able to use it on a Verizon Pre 2.
  16.    #16  
    I bought Ndrive and initially It wouldn't even give me a GPS signal, but now it does pick up a signal however after that nothing happens. I emailed NDrive and am awaiting a response back. So for now I would say hold off! I have noticed the same thing with google maps. I was lost last night and could have really used either one to work lol. I will go out and buy a GPS again before I pay Verizon.
    Download the GPS Fix app from the App Catalog. It might not be a problem with nDrive.

I have Ndrive on my Pre2,
    Never had an issue with it!
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Global Posts
    1,528 Global Posts
    Cool to see another person switch over from the iPhone 4, Knicks. I like the Pre 2 much better, even though the apps are limited by comparison. I just have to figure out how to make the internet browser run faster and I'll be good. The Pre 2 is really great though.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    NAVIT is free and also has turn by turn navigation. It now has a Just Type feature you can set up to enter the street address and start up NAVIT. The webOS wiki is on webosinternals. The NAVIT-Maps app can download the maps you want which are also free.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast