Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    I've lost hours trying to work on the software portion of my Sprint Frankenpre conversion. I can't get past this ubuntu stuff. I can't get a terminal window within windows.

Directions didn't sound so bad until actually having to perform this. It's nuts.

Sorry for venting, but if I'm not able to figure it out I'll simply abort and try again when I return from a road trip. Directions were not made for us windows users who don't do this type of thing
    Last edited by Hobbz; 09/08/2011 at 02:21 AM.
    War Eagle!
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Dont feel bad, I had a terrible time with that also, I was stock in the ubuntu thing too. Makes no sense to me luckily I had a friend that flew though the whole process with no issues.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    It finally installed, but I'll be darned if I can get a terminal within windows... .or even without being in windows.
    War Eagle!
    The directions do require some linux knowledge and some tech-savvy know-how. If you have questions, just head on over to #webos-internals IRC

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Or install Ubuntu and use it full time. :P
    mjkjr likes this.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    I finally got things to work. Thanks for the suggestion about going to IRC. Timmy321 and destinal were a HUGE help with this. Thanks guys!

I'll write up some tips for others after I get some sleep.
    War Eagle!
    I look forward to those tips because i get so incredibly lost reading the metadoctor instructions!
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I thought the software was Easy compare to com board swap.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    I thought the software was Easy compare to com board swap.
    I thought quite the opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkatb View Post
    I look forward to those tips because i get so incredibly lost reading the metadoctor instructions!
    + 1

I purchased a Verizon Pre2 and I am planning to Frankenpre it as soon arrives. So, any additional clarification on the SW process will be highly appreciated.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    I finally got things to work.
    I'll write up some tips for others after I get some sleep.
    I'm waiting on some tips. I've been reading, and this whole ubuntu has gotten me crazy. I have it installed on my virtual box, but not sure where to go from here.
    @ Ski21

Are you trying to frankenpre on Sprint? I manage to complete the whole process and prepare a excel file with all the steps. PM me if you want it and I'll share it with you.
    tp2386 likes this.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Its easier to dual boot it. partition your drive before hand for like 15 gigs. installl ubuntu on it. run the doctor easy peasy really. just type in what they say.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I dual booted and it was way easier than the Hardware conversion......at least for me.
    @renck thanks for the excel spreadsheet and steps. That gave me enough to ensure I didn't have any missed steps in my plan. I didn't turn off backups and did the upgrade on Saturday. Typing this post on my new frankenpre! I wish it would have been a pre 3, but HP cut the cord to soon on webos so I had to keep moving forward with webos. So got pre 2 online and took the dive to frankenpre it. I had issues with that darn keyboard bezel and sliding that into place. After I figured it out I was good. Got sprint Nat working and will try sprint tv and nascar later (yeah some might ask why bother). Issue I had after was not sure keyboard got seeded right the first time and slider got to sticking open catching on center of keyboard. Took it back out and tried again and better but slider seems to be pretty loose so think I messed it up trying to get it to work. All in all it will keep me moving forward with webos until HP can get someone to license it or sell it. #Webosos Save WebOS!
    @jmccrary

Welcome to the Pre2 world! I hope you are enjoying WebOS 2.1 and please (if you can) don't forget to donate to WebOS Internals, these are the guys/gals that deserve all the credit and our support for keeping our phones / favorite OS alive.

Cheers!!!
    Hearing of all the trials and tribulations of Windows users, I'm so glad it's so very simple on OSX.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I believe I got everything ready. Just need to get pre 2 tomorrow. Can't wait. Does the pre battery work in the pre 2 or is it different?
    There is a guy on ebay does it for $40.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski21 View Post
    I believe I got everything ready. Just need to get pre 2 tomorrow. Can't wait. Does the pre battery work in the pre 2 or is it different?
    Yep, it is the same battery. So, after you are done your Pre-, you will have a spare battery to use with your Pre2. Or, you can continue using your Pre- as a wifi only device.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast