Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. DCFlyer's Avatar
    Posts
    107 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
       #1  
    I'm really stuck between a couple of alternatives, and thought I would get some advice from the community. Would you pay $21 a month more and switch from Sprint to Verizon to get a Pre 2 (and the Verizon network)?

    I have a Sprint Pre, overclocked with the Screenstate 500/1000 uberkernel. I figured since the Pre 3 won't be coming out, I'd consider a Pre 2. So I obtained a Pre 2 from Verizon on a 14-day trial (after negotiating, $0 with a 2-year contract).

    The cost will be higher with VZW. The details (Sprint=S, Verizon=V):

    Side-by-side starting apps, the overclocked Sprint Pre is about neck and neck with the Pre 2. One huge exception is loading web pages - I don't know if this is due to a difference in the phones, the networks, or both, but web pages load significantly faster on the Pre 2. Paring with the TouchPad, speakerphone performance is equally mediocre with both.

    Benefits: Sprint is much cheaper. The Pre 2, however, runs a newer OS (2.1), has a more solid feel, and a tougher glass screen. It's *possible* that an OS update will bring SMS to my TouchPad.

    So, how about it? In your opinion, would the more solid hardware, faster web pages, and some potential for OS upgrades be enough to justify the switch, despite the higher cost?

    As a third option, if I were able to find a Pre 2 on Ebay and do a FrankenPre 2, would OTA updates be unavailable to me? Would getting future OS updates rely on the availability of a meta-doctor?

    Thanks - looking forward to your opinions!
    Last edited by DCFlyer; 09/07/2011 at 02:36 PM.
  2. #2  
    I don't want to be the guy that says this, but I've already seen/replied to at least a couple threads discussing your exact same situation. Just use the search and you shall seek your answer =).

    Also, TL;dr, I upgraded from a pre+ to Pre 2 and have no regrets, period.
  3. mostockton's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    #3  
    You can get an unlocked Pre 2 on Ebay fairly cheap now (~$150).

    Grab one of those and Franken Pre it. I just did the same thing and I can tell you the difference between the Pre+ and Pre2 is night and day. Follow the instructions from WebOS-Internals and you'll be running in no time. If you're not technically inclined, you can probably find someone on this forum to help you.

    Edit: I should also not that my former Pre- and subsequent Pre+ were both overclocked, even so the Pre2 blows them away.
  4. DCFlyer's Avatar
    Posts
    107 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    I don't want to be the guy that says this, but I've already seen/replied to at least a couple threads discussing your exact same situation. Just use the search and you shall seek your answer =).

    Also, TL;dr, I upgraded from a pre+ to Pre 2 and have no regrets, period.
    Don't want to clutter up this forum with duplicate questions, but I figured the factors that go into everyone's decision are a little different. Of course, since you pronounced it to be too long and therefore didn't read it, you wouldn't know that...

    Did your upgrade involve a carrier switch? That's really the heart of the question. Meanwhile, I'll search again and try to take a look at your posts - thanks.
  5. DCFlyer's Avatar
    Posts
    107 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mostockton View Post
    You can get an unlocked Pre 2 on Ebay fairly cheap now (~$150).

    Grab one of those and Franken Pre it. I just did the same thing and I can tell you the difference between the Pre+ and Pre2 is night and day. Follow the instructions from WebOS-Internals and you'll be running in no time. If you're not technically inclined, you can probably find someone on this forum to help you.

    Edit: I should also not that my former Pre- and subsequent Pre+ were both overclocked, even so the Pre2 blows them away.
    Thanks - looks straightforward enough. Am I correct in assuming that future updates would have to be via Doctor? Also, did you apply the Sprint Navigation fix?
  6. #6  
    One of my main reason for for creating this post.

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ositivess.html

    May the choice be with you . . .

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions