Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    After all, there has to be a LARGE amount of HAPPY FRANKENPRE USERS out here!

I'm a bit tired of reading nothing but problems from users with problems.

Where are the users with NO PROBLEMS?

Show some LOVE
    Show some HAPPINESS

LOVE & POSITIVESS
    I <3 my FrankenPre 2
    I got 2 for 50 a piece from HP. I couldn't be happier. I have decided that the Pre2 is a perfect, yet fat, phone in a world where everyone wants pocket tablets.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I'm loving my Frankenpre which I just completed last weekend. Builds on the beauty and functionality of the original Pre in every way. The faster processor makes a world of differences vs. my Pre- that was running webOS 2.1 . It's like falling in love again for the first time. I can't tell you how much it saddens me that I'll never get a Pre 3, since I imagine it has to be the same feeling as moving from Pre- to Frankenpre.
    6mos no problems....love it
    ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!!
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I was a bit concerned to cannibalize my working Pre Plus, but once my FrankenPre came alive, I never looked back. I can't believe it's ~8 months now.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    I'm at around the 6month mark, and love it. Have Classic and Sprint TV working, still have some issue with Nav... And my old parts still work.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  8.    #8  
    I'm loving the love guys!

I was feeling a little depressed for ordering a Pre 2 online for $150 which included a Touchstone kit (probably from some d*uche whom bought stacks of them for $50 a pop during the firesale) but I couldn't wait for another firesale and my original Pre- is hanging on by a nail. It's my fourth Pre- I should add.

In a few more days though my Pre-'s gutts will get a BOOST it'll never forget!

Can't wait.

Much Love to the one we call . . The Frankenpre . . .
    I am close to six months as well and all is fantastic. it is like a new experience and is very fast. I did the frankenpre myself after reading the process over and over for a few weeks. Finally decided to take the plunge and it went through the process without a hitch and pulled everything down from my Palm profile with no issues. But perhaps the best part is that all my techie iphone friends at work think I am some sort of geek guru when the truth is I owe it all to the geniuses at Pre Central.

I could easily keep this phone for some time. However, since I have the Touchpad, I am itching to get my hands on a Pre 3 for the companion experience. I hope I can find a Pre 3 somewhere so I can keep my Palm phone string alive for at least a little while longer. It is over 12 years with Palm phones and I don't want any other if I can help it. Come on HP, release the 3!
    FrankenPre feels so good in my hand
    I'm two weeks in and I'm loving it! Went flawlessly. <3

Dad's one week in. Minor hiccups days one and two, resolved. Loving it.

A couple days ago my sister's Pre- looked like this:

I successfully put it back together (she owes me two tiny screws), but there's another Pre 2 in the mail with her name on it and I'm sure she'll love it too!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet casey View Post
    i am close to six months as well and all is fantastic. It is like a new experience and is very fast. I did the frankenpre myself after reading the process over and over for a few weeks. Finally decided to take the plunge and it went through the process without a hitch and pulled everything down from my palm profile with no issues. But perhaps the best part is that all my techie iphone friends at work think i am some sort of geek guru when the truth is i owe it all to the geniuses at pre central.

I could easily keep this phone for some time. However, since i have the touchpad, i am itching to get my hands on a pre 3 for the companion experience. I hope i can find a pre 3 somewhere so i can keep my palm phone string alive for at least a little while longer. It is over 12 years with palm phones and i don't want any other if i can help it. Come on hp, release the 3!
    Props for taking the plunge! I can't wait for mine to arrive in the mail so that I can take the plunge! & you're right, the Pre 3 would be awesome, especially with the Touchpad!
    NXD10 likes this.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    I'm two weeks in and I'm loving it! Went flawlessly. <3

Dad's one week in. Minor hiccups days one and two, resolved. Loving it.

A couple days ago my sister's Pre- looked like this:

I successfully put it back together (she owes me two tiny screws), but there's another Pre 2 in the mail with her name on it and I'm sure she'll love it too!
    Glad to see the whole family is in it together!
    Love my Frankenpre2!!!

Had some issues with the Meta'd-Doctor not installing to the phone. Stopped at 12% every single time... Redid the Doctor with the "base settings".... Tried my thicker Touchpad cable... And finally, a reset of Windows 7 did the trick!!

I used the guts from a $20 Pre- I'd picked up many months ago in anticipation of doing this, so I would still have my "flawless" Pre- as a backup if need be. Luckily, the $20 Pre- I'd purchased from ebay had some serious gunk on the camera, a bad speaker, and "intermittent wifi", which were all solvable with the Pre2 swap. Camera isn't needed. Wifi was fixed when connecting one of the (black or white?) wires during the process. Figured it would be something simple like that. I didn't even know the speaker was an issue until I got the Frankenpre2 up and running, then couldn't here anything on YouTube. I was looking up "OEM speakers" on ebay and another site that had 'em even cheaper, until it clicked... the Pre2 back that I just took off has a speaker, silly!!

Very, very easy process, really. I thought I broke the flex cables at first. I didn't know they had sockets on the ends. Glad I saved my $70 + spare parts, or whatever it is that webos world charges.

Now I just need to never ever ever ever ever ever ever drop this phone. I would twirl my plastic Pre- in the air before, but I'm gonna need some rules for this baby. If somebody wants to talk on it, it must be on speakerphone while I'm holding on to it.

Oh yea... I had one problem with the touchscreen wigging out, but a battery pull solved that problem. Seems like everybody has to do at least one or two battery pulls after this, but I hope it's not an everyday thing.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Yes, im loving all these positive stories, ive read nothing but problems here and after taking the plunge and order a verizon pre 2 and 30 buck pre- (I have a pixi-) I was alittle worried after reading these possible problems and what not. Well Im excited for mine to get here later this week. and hope everything goes without a hitch. Should be a mind blowing exp for me. Coming for a oc'ed 800mhz pixi to a pre2. 1.4.5~2.1 Anybody oced their pre 2?
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    After Verizon told me not to upgrade or I'd lose all my goodies and I looked at all those monstrously big Droid and Iphones - I am taking the plunge Wednesday.

AFTER I get home from a business trip where the phone has to work.

Thanks for the courage.
  17.    #17  
    Great Great Great guys!

I received my Pre2 this past Wednesday. Waited a day to understand the whole Ubuntu/Rooting the Pre2 for it to work on my Sprint Network.

By friday I went on ATTACK mode and to my surprise, it wasn't as hard as I thought. Pretty self explanatory.

Just be very careful not to miss a step and READ fully.

Glad to say I love this phone & posting this comment through it! :-)

& & & I haven't encountered any glitches yet! :-) Also what's funny to me is that it's super fast without installing any of the Kernels nor Govnah!

SHOULD I? For those of you with Pre2's?

HAVE FUN GUYS!
    O.K., you guys are getting this '09 launch Sprint Pre user all hot and bothered...in a good way. I just got the Touchpad and it's givin' me the itch to upgrade my trusty ol' Pre minus...

But I'm just not up to doing the franken procedure myself. Sorry, just too much on my plate and I can't afford to be without a working phone for more than a few hours should I screw up.

So, first question: is there a thread or post that summarizes the best way to get a Pre 2?

Second question: is there anyone in the Twin Cites, MN or surrounding area that can to the dirty work for me while I wait? I will gladly pay your fee.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    see signature. Did the work myself. Just takes meticulously following of directions and patience...
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Got my Pre2 off eBay last week, took about 4 hours to do the Franken-ing (installed Ubuntu on my Windows 7 box while I did the hardware swap). It went flawlessly, and getting the Sprint navigation and Amazon mp3 apps went smoothly as well. The new phone is great, my Pre- was having some serious issues (power button, camera and Wi-Fi).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast