1.    #1  
    My wife and I both have Verizon Pre+s and love them despite the appalling battery lives (mine was okay, but dropped to about 4 hours of use after about a year, hers was always crap) and the 'imaginative' keyboard that randomly drops or adds letters to everything we type.

Extremely unhappy about HP's phenomenal ability to revitalise an under-resourced technology by throwing money at it and producing little more than promises until they actually had something worth selling and then overpricing it and throwing their rattle away when it wasn't selling as well as they had fantasized it would.

Still, our Pre's are slowly dying and Verizon has a wonderful range of useless phones so we have decided to buy a couple of Pre 2s online even though we are almost eligible for the discounted uprades. At $150 each, they aren't much more expensive and don't force us to re-up the contracts just in case something better does come out in the next 18 months.

The question is... since we are still on our Pre + contracts and are NOT re-upping them, and Verizon have said we can just tranfer our numbers to the new phones, does that mean we get to keep the unlimited free Hotspot for life ? The Verizon guy in the store said we could but those guys are slightly less reliably honest than "Honest" Bob from the "Junkers R Us" used car lot.

Can anyone confirm that this is correct and, ideally, give me a script for the trip to the store to transfer the numbers ? Also, will the profile automatically transfer or do we need to formally backup etc ?

Thanks.
    I'm not sure because I have an unlocked GSM Pre 2, but you can always download and use freetether from Preware and use a normal data plan without tethering. Verizon shouldn't know the difference.
    Yup ^ +1. Been rocking freetether on a Sprint unlocked Frankenpre 2 to both my TP and laptop. Works ok, not as nice as actual wifi, but usable. Unlimited data helps. As for a "script", I'd just play whiney and demand it as an option or use freetether. Since you are off contract and own the hardware, you are in the driver's seat here. Let us know how it goes... Good info to have
    Last edited by matteebee13; 09/07/2011 at 02:39 AM.
    NO. I just up'd to my fire sale VZW Pre 2 from Pre+ last week. As stated in other threads you DO NOT get free unlimited Mobile Hotspot with the Pre 2. This is confirmed when you go online and switch phones, with the mobile hotspot line item changing from "$0.00" on the Pre+ to "-" on the Pre 2. Your best bet after you get your phones is to call VZW customer support, maybe on a Sunday, and be extremely nice to the rep and see if they can give you free unlimited Mobile Hotspot like you have on your Pre+ since it's not automatically transfered.

There is also Freetether of course, but I'm not sure if that works to circumvent VZW's tethering charges or not.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    No, you don't get to keep the free hotspot.

The free hotspot is linked to the EID of the Pre+. No amount of sweet talking will make the computer system change its mind, sorry to say.
    Don't buy an unlocked Pre2! This is a GSM version, not CDMA and will not work on Verizon.
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    Having said that, Freetether works better than MHS anyways so just download and use that.
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    You don't need to go to a store to activate anyhow. Assuming you are going webOS to webOS phone the steps are: Do a full backup(system, backup app) and if you don't already have it, download save/restore from preware and backup with that(launch the app and select all, then tap backup). Then copy the saverestore directory(and any other data like pics/vids/mp3's) off your phone to a PC(in USB mode.) When you get the new phone, turn it on, log into your Palm Profile, and allow it to sync your emails, contacts, apps, etc. Then launch Preware and reinstall your homebrew packages(if any, but updated for the new phone) and install Save/Restore. Via USB mode, copy the saverestore directory you backed up to your PC back onto the phone as well as any other data like mp3's you want back onto it. Then launch Save/Restore, select all, and tap restore! Voila, all your data transferred to a new webOS phone.
    Last edited by woodmaster; 09/07/2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: extra info
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    You don't need to go to a store to activate anyhow. Assuming you are going webOS to webOS phone the steps are: Do a full backup(system, backup app) and if you don't already have it, download save/restore from preware and backup with that(launch the app and select all, then tap backup). Then copy the saverestore directory(and any other data like pics/vids/mp3's) off your phone to a PC(in USB mode.) When you get the new phone, turn it on, log into your Palm Profile, and allow it to sync your emails, contacts, apps, etc. Then launch Preware and reinstall your homebrew packages(if any, but updated for the new phone) and install Save/Restore. Via USB mode, copy the saverestore directory you backed up to your PC back onto the phone as well as any other data like mp3's you want back onto it. Then launch Save/Restore, select all, and tap restore! Voila, all your data transferred to a new webOS phone.
    Try that and let me know how it works out without Verizon changing the ESN, MSID, etc.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    Don't buy an unlocked Pre2! This is a GSM version, not CDMA and will not work on Verizon.
    The unlocked phones are specifically listed as New, Unopened Verizon Pre 2 phones. Doesn't mean it's true, but...

will go with FreeTether if needed but whle wife and I are geeks, we tend to run vanilla phones... They do what we need and neither of us want the hassle of hacking them for marginal improvements (for us). Yeah, I'm ashamed of myself sometimes but the Pres have their occasional flaky moments already without making them even more complicated and they really are ideal for our use out of the box.