Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Riz Parvez
  1.    #1  
    came in over the weekend....wanting to do a frankenpre to use on sprint but am admittedly nervous. anyone near ft wayne indiana who is an expert? which thread in the forum is the best one to follow irt doing the frankenpre?
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    If you have an unlocked GSM Pre 2, I'm pretty certain ou cannot frankenpre-it to Sprint and can only use it with AT&T or T-mobile.
    If you can't find someone on here to answer for sure, I'd contact: WebOS World | Welcome to the world of webOS!
    They offer the service for a small fee.
    Not true. I started with an unlocked GSM Pre 2 and did the Frankenpre conversion with my old Sprint Pre-, so I now have functional Sprint Frankepre 2.

Best directions are here:
    Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals

webOS world does indeed provide this service for a fee.

The best thing you can do if you want to do it yourself and are nervous: Buy a broken Pre for next to nothing and get a feel for taking it apart. It's not hard once you've grown accustomed, but it does feel quite daunting until you "get" it. It really is a "feel" thing, especially disconnecting/reconnecting the ribbon cables and sliding the side clips back in. So get one you don't mind breaking if you're worried.
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    jfoster146 likes this.
  4.    #4  
    thank you for the link. i do indeed have a launch day pre- i can use to practice on...thanks for the tip!
  5.    #5  
    one more question for the forum. from reading the posts here it sounds as if i will definitely lose sprint navigation (which i can live without in order to have a new webOS device). anything else i'll lose in the conversion?
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfoster146 View Post
    one more question for the forum. from reading the posts here it sounds as if i will definitely lose sprint navigation (which i can live without in order to have a new webOS device). anything else i'll lose in the conversion?

All the Sprint applied apps...NASCAR, Sprint TV ...etc

there is a workaround for the navigation...search around the forums..I know I seen it some where.