1.    #1  
    Hi folks

Had a Pre2 for about a month.
    YES, it IS wht the Pre should have been when it first came out.
    YES it is nice and quick.

But holy smoke, it get hot in my pocket, and sometimes chows through a battery in less that 2 hours... with no calls, activity, etc.

A bit of history:
    First Pre2 - installed Preware, Txt chracter count, Text "Enter key", and Landscape Email patches.

Noticed horrific battery usage.

Installed Govnah. DID NOT INSTALL alternative Kernel - was just using Govnah to monitor data.

After 2 weeks, phone started behaving bizzarly, to the point I could not even Doctor it.

VZN replaced phone last week.

I have left it TOTALLY STOCK.

Have tried new, original Palm battery, Mugen 1400mAH & Seido 1350mAH batteries. All of them have sometimes drained out in the first couple of hours of the day.

I'm at a loss. I really love my Pre2, but this batter stuff is unmanageable.

Any tips, tricks, Kernel updates...???

Thanks

<would-be-pulling-my-hair-out-if-I-had-any> russ
    I have a Sprintified Pre2 which was meta-doctored. But it received an OTA (from HP?) a week and a half ago and started acting weird, hot battery, freezes.

So after a week I became fed up with this, and I meta-doctord back to 2.1 and it is pretty decent now. I don't know if the stock Pre2s on Verizon are being served a buggier version of 2.1 than the meta-doctor one but it sure looked that way to me.
    I have a FrankenPre and it has at times had all the problems you guys have mentioned along with random restarts.

Sometimes a battery pull solves it and when all else fails, see the Doctor.

I think you have to get used to the fact that it is a buggy device and there will be no further support from HP.

I'm set on getting an Android phone come the end of this year.
    weird thing--meta-doctored biz partner's verizon pre2 back in May and it has been working fine for him, he is a power user. This is what gave me the idea to revert back to meta-doctor with 2.1 after that oTA update.
    also look at your signal meter - if it's falling back on 1x or you've got 1 or 2 bars, the radio runs at full power all the time and the battery goes flat VERY quickly. When I go to my friend's house down the street, I get 1 or 2 bars of 1x, and the battery will go dead in 2-3 hours even from a full charge.
    @bluenote - it's possible that the roaming list is borked in the VZ update. Try a *228 and reprogram the PRL and see if that helps - since that's the last step in a meta-doctor anyhow.
    had a similar issue
    my pre 2 all of a sudden started to always freeze. Too many cards. The odd time it would be ok, after a battery pull.

Just doctor. It'll go back to normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
    Hi folks

Had a Pre2 for about a month.
    YES, it IS wht the Pre should have been when it first came out.
    YES it is nice and quick.

But holy smoke, it get hot in my pocket, and sometimes chows through a battery in less that 2 hours... with no calls, activity, etc.

A bit of history:
    First Pre2 - installed Preware, Txt chracter count, Text "Enter key", and Landscape Email patches.

Noticed horrific battery usage.

Installed Govnah. DID NOT INSTALL alternative Kernel - was just using Govnah to monitor data.

After 2 weeks, phone started behaving bizzarly, to the point I could not even Doctor it.

VZN replaced phone last week.

I have left it TOTALLY STOCK.

Have tried new, original Palm battery, Mugen 1400mAH & Seido 1350mAH batteries. All of them have sometimes drained out in the first couple of hours of the day.

I'm at a loss. I really love my Pre2, but this batter stuff is unmanageable.

Any tips, tricks, Kernel updates...???

Thanks

<would-be-pulling-my-hair-out-if-I-had-any> russ
    I sadly left webOS because of poor battery life. I am back now (after booting my Pre minus and remembering how much I loved it) and I wish I hadn't as I finally figured out the problem...for some reason it was my Google account (Gmail, Gcalendar, Contacts) - I removed the account from my phone, reinstalled it and the battery is actually not too bad now. I have a Pre 3 now too and the same thing happened to that...battery life suddenly went really bad, started getting hot. So as before, I wiped my Google account, added it again and synced, all is good. I remember reading that Google IMAP can stay permanently polling the whole time and suck up battery (and make it warm), which is the only explanation I can think of for my case.

Might be worth a try.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I had this same problem with my Pre- but only when I visited my Uncle's hpme . I think he was in a dead zone because I couldn't get any signal, that seemed to be why my phone would start getting hot and make the battery die. From then on I would just turn on airplane mode while I was at his house. I had no phone signal anyway so why let my battery die and get hot.

give it try, turn on airplane mode next time this happens for you. This might help narrow the problem
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    turn the backup off
    @OP email configured for "As items arrive" by chance? If you have this setting and get a lot of email, your phone will catch fire and be dead in a couple of hours. None of our corporate users can use that setting and have 5 minute poll intervals setup.
    This is a complete abnormal behavior.
    I would try:
    1. Use a virgin new palm/webOS profile
    2. Check for the "can't sleep" problem
    I have a Verizon Pre 2 and did have meta 2.1 on it and now have the vzw 2.1. Once in a while, it has abnormally drained the battery. I can't figure out why, but it seems a restart fixes it. Sorry I can't be of more help. And yes, I love the Pre2 and normally, it has great battery life.
    I have a VZW Pre 2 on stock 2.1 (including stock kernel) and the only times I have issues with the battery running down is when I am in a very weak signal area. Anytime you start pulling 1 bar, the current drain is going to be far greater than normal. This happens on ANY phone, including BB's and my old trusty Razor. What I usually do to see what is happening with current draw is to just fire up Govnah and see what the current drain is being reported.

As also mentioned, certain activities can also cause this, such as if you've got a constant push of email coming through "As it arrives," or if you're phone is, for some reason, constantly trying to synch.