Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Ok, first off, hello to everyone. New forum member here thanks to finding the holiest of holies in terms of hot deals, the TP and learning how to use WebOs.

Currently, I have a Droid X with Verizon where my contract started in April of this year. Up until I had the TP, I had never considered a WebOs device. But now since falling in love with the TP and WebOs, and reaching for it far more often than my 1st gen iPad, I'm beginning to consider switching phones. Since however I'm in the middle of my contract, I'm stuck paying full price upgrades or finding the phone somewhere else aka ebay or amazon, etc. Anywho, my Droid X was suiting me fine for the most part, I am just getting sick of random reboots at the most inopportune times, and of the overall sluggishness the phone will exhibit for no apparent reason. Plus, some other minor annoyances have developed since being pushed the Gingerbread update.

That leads me to my question: If money WAS an issue (and it always is), would you spend $40 for a Pixi Plus or $150 for a Pre2? There are no $50 Pre2's to be had anywhere and about a buck fifty shipped is the lowest I can find one for as HP is all out and won't be getting anymore. The difference being $110, is it worth it to go the Pre2. I'm looking forward to texting, phoning, browsing, using the hotspot wifi, and perhaps a few other minor uses. Are both phones sufficient for these uses or would I be better suited to one over the other?

Will I be disappointed with either coming from the Droid X? Honestly, I really don't use that many apps and just use the phone as a phone, texter, and browser. I also use the navigation on it through google maps but am willing to let that go if the other 3 are at least as good on the Pixi and Pre2.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    Totally worth it. Whatever pro the the pixi, the pre2 is a little better. The main difference is the speed and it worth it for 100 buck more.
    You will be disappointed with the pixi, get the pre 2.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Navigation is not very good either, but the Pixi really isn't all that good at anything...
    Ok, I have a Pre+, Pixi+, and a Pre 2. The Pixi+ has a great, though small, keyboard. The form factor is very nice. The speed of the CPU relative to the workload presented to it by webOS 1.4.5.1...SUCKS! I originally bought the Pixi+ for $50 (after shipping) on eBay to try out to see if I would prefer it over my Pre+ (at the time it had the repeating/missing keystroke issue until I later cleaned the keyboard PCB and key domes). I like the form factor a lot, and the keyboard is great to use, even with somewhat large hands. But the thing runs like a dog quite regularly, even when overclocked. It will periodically hang, or slow to a crawl. Drove me nuts.

Now, my Pre 2 has a larger display. The front is glass, which is very nice and doesn't scratch anywhere near as easily as the Pixi+ and Pre+ did. It's very fast (I haven't even overclocked it yet), only very rarely just hanging, mostly when it's coming out of a low clock state (i.e. like when the screen is off and I turn it on to do something). It's a great phone, and worth the money, though I was lucky and got it a couple months back for just $5 on contract.

Think of this, if you really like it, you can always sell your Droid X to recoup the cost. Personally, I love webOS, and really don't like big honkin' phones. The Pre form factor is almost a perfect size (a little thinner would be even better, and it could stand to be slightly bigger in the screen department). If you really like webOS and what it can do, especially if the clunkiness of Android bothers you (some love the almost haphazard way Android is), then it certainly will be. If there are, however, key things that you can do on the Droid X that you can't on the Pre 2 (shouldn't be much) then you'll have to decide that. I love the phone, but tastes vary. If you seem to really like the TouchPad, then there is a good chance you'll like the Pre 2. Would be good if you could try it out. Just don't forget to get Touchstone chargers. I have one at my computer desk and one in the car. If you answer the phone with it left on the Touchstone, it goes to speakerphone automatically. If you pick it up to answer, or while on call, it switches to handset.

Hope this helps.
    forget the Pixi. Form factor is great. Better than the Veer IMO. It's just too slow.

for the money, the Pre+ is a good option. You can overclock it to the same speed as the Pre2 and metadoctor webOS2.1 onto it. After that the only real difference is the glass screen and slightly better build quality.
    Does the Pre2 pair with touchpad for sms/call answering or is does that require 2.2.0?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    anyone chime in and correct me if i'm wrong, but the Pre2's hotspot feature is an additional add on (the stock one not freetether). I picked up a Pixi+ to play with webOS and like it a lot because I like a smaller phone though there are tradeoffs. Personally I think the perfect pairing is a pixi and touchpad.
    I think all Palm phones will do the calling via the phone, but so far only the Pre3 will do SMS.

I thought the Pre2 Mobile Hotspot was only on Verizon, certainly not on the UK Pre2.
    Pixi+ is not a bad phone, but if that $150 are not too high for your budget, definitely get the Pre 2, difference is huge.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I'm advising also pre2 or, you doesn't mention (perhaps a provider problem) HP Veer. Forget the Pixi+.
    I've got Pre+ and Pixi+ and newly the HP Veer. The Veer is fast as Pre+, very smal and very cute.
    The Pre2 is better then Pre+, so if you can't use a HP Veer, then prefer the Pre2.
    Best solution would be a pre3, but they're sold out
    The Pre 2 will pair with the Touchpad, via Bluetooth, for call answering. webOS 2.2 is required for SMS pairing. You do give up the free Mobile Hot Spot with the Pre 2, but FreeTether works wonders.

I had my Pre+ Meta-Doctored to 2.1, and it was NOWHERE near as fast as my Pre 2. Maybe if you had one that could over clock to 1.1GHz it would be somewhat close, but many aren't even fully stable at 1GHz. The biggest difference was the lag going from a low clock at idle to high clock. With 2.1 the Pre+ seemed to really dog when it had to do switch states. It would also miss a lot of taps. There's a legitimate reason why the Pre+ didn't get general availability of 2.1.
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Ok, I have a Pre+, Pixi+, and a Pre 2. The Pixi+ has a great, though small, keyboard. The form factor is very nice. The speed of the CPU relative to the workload presented to it by webOS 1.4.5.1...SUCKS! I originally bought the Pixi+ for $50 (after shipping) on eBay to try out to see if I would prefer it over my Pre+ (at the time it had the repeating/missing keystroke issue until I later cleaned the keyboard PCB and key domes). I like the form factor a lot, and the keyboard is great to use, even with somewhat large hands. But the thing runs like a dog quite regularly, even when overclocked. It will periodically hang, or slow to a crawl. Drove me nuts.

Now, my Pre 2 has a larger display. The front is glass, which is very nice and doesn't scratch anywhere near as easily as the Pixi+ and Pre+ did. It's very fast (I haven't even overclocked it yet), only very rarely just hanging, mostly when it's coming out of a low clock state (i.e. like when the screen is off and I turn it on to do something). It's a great phone, and worth the money, though I was lucky and got it a couple months back for just $5 on contract.

Think of this, if you really like it, you can always sell your Droid X to recoup the cost. Personally, I love webOS, and really don't like big honkin' phones. The Pre form factor is almost a perfect size (a little thinner would be even better, and it could stand to be slightly bigger in the screen department). If you really like webOS and what it can do, especially if the clunkiness of Android bothers you (some love the almost haphazard way Android is), then it certainly will be. If there are, however, key things that you can do on the Droid X that you can't on the Pre 2 (shouldn't be much) then you'll have to decide that. I love the phone, but tastes vary. If you seem to really like the TouchPad, then there is a good chance you'll like the Pre 2. Would be good if you could try it out. Just don't forget to get Touchstone chargers. I have one at my computer desk and one in the car. If you answer the phone with it left on the Touchstone, it goes to speakerphone automatically. If you pick it up to answer, or while on call, it switches to handset.

Hope this helps.
    Awesome comparisons and helps a bunch. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwidion View Post
    I'm advising also pre2 or, you doesn't mention (perhaps a provider problem) HP Veer. Forget the Pixi+.
    I've got Pre+ and Pixi+ and newly the HP Veer. The Veer is fast as Pre+, very smal and very cute.
    The Pre2 is better then Pre+, so if you can't use a HP Veer, then prefer the Pre2.
    Best solution would be a pre3, but they're sold out
    Provider is Verizon which is why I didn't mention the Veer.

Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    The Pre 2 will pair with the Touchpad, via Bluetooth, for call answering. webOS 2.2 is required for SMS pairing. You do give up the free Mobile Hot Spot with the Pre 2, but FreeTether works wonders.

I had my Pre+ Meta-Doctored to 2.1, and it was NOWHERE near as fast as my Pre 2. Maybe if you had one that could over clock to 1.1GHz it would be somewhat close, but many aren't even fully stable at 1GHz. The biggest difference was the lag going from a low clock at idle to high clock. With 2.1 the Pre+ seemed to really dog when it had to do switch states. It would also miss a lot of taps. There's a legitimate reason why the Pre+ didn't get general availability of 2.1.
    I thought the Pre2 had free mobile hot spot?
    I think MHS is only on the VZW Pre2. Don't worry, Freetether works great if you don't have MHS.
    webOS browser is okay for basic functions, but if you need password manager, etc, then think over it.

Between pixi and pre 2, the answer has to be pre 2. The pixi screen is too small, its impossible to read the webpage comfortably on it.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Id go with the Pre 2 - I've got the PixiPlus, Pre 2 and the Veer - the veer is my favorite followed by the Pre 2 - since your stuck on Verizon id get the Pre 2 - I love that you can hide the keyboard - I love the larger screen - it is also much faster - Touchstone also works out of the box - the one thing the Pixi has is pure thinness.which is impressive .

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Pre 3 QWERTY, The Veer, GSM Pre 2 and GSM Pixi Plus - 64GB White TouchPad and 32GB Black TouchPad
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    I think MHS is only on the VZW Pre2. Don't worry, Freetether works great if you don't have MHS.
    I am on Vzw so I should be able to have the MHS feature.
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Alright, I bought a Pre 2 off of fleabay for $135.95 shipped USPS priority (seller gundkid with 100% feedback of 557 in case anyone else is interested as he/she has more available). I would have loved to gotten in on the $49 deal from HP but those are all gone with no more.

For the price I paid, I can't complain too much for an off contract phone costing so little. I imagine I'll be able to sell my Droid X and docks (car and multimedia docks) for at least a $150 so I'll cover my costs.

Now my question is, will any micro usb cable work or do I need specific Palm branded cables. What about AC usb adapters?

Thanks in advance.
    hagster likes this.
    Yeah, any micro USB cable or AC adapter will work fine.
    Of course you know you should get a Touchstone, but those can be had for like $5 now if you know where to look.
    MHS is only free or the Pixi Plus. And Verzion may or may not have allowed it to contune to be free for the Pixi after the data rate changes in July unless your grandfathered in with the unlimited plan. Free tether is free though.
    Last edited by Dsmdan95; 09/03/2011 at 09:33 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast