Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I am living in the UK and have pretty much given up hope of getting myself a pre 3. I was looking at someone's pre 2 a few days ago and thought that it was a better size, I still get some compatibility with my TouchPad, and it has webOS (cheer). It's also dirt cheap - 149.99 on ebuyer.com.

I want a webOS phone, but can't get the Pre 3, don't want to shell out a lot of money. My question is are there any great disadvantages using a Pre 2 over the Pre 3? Buggy? Slow? etc.
    Please let me know, warts and all.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    It's just a smaller screen really, that's the main difference for me. Once you get used to it, it's fine.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    I really like my Pre2. The Pre3 keyboard and slider are wonderful.

but you will be very happy with the Pre2.
    Pre2 is as smooth as it gets. Especially when you put on the advanced patches
  5.    #5  
    Wow thanks for the comments guys. Really useful!

What actual TP functionality is there? I know TTS isn't there, and texting does work, but what else?
  6. 27
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Pre2 is as smooth as it gets. Especially when you put on the advanced patches
    Which patches?
  7. 27
    Quote Originally Posted by snorri788 View Post
    Wow thanks for the comments guys. Really useful!

What actual TP functionality is there? I know TTS isn't there, and texting does work, but what else?
    It doesn't.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by 27 View Post
    It doesn't.
    I have read in a few threads that texting does work with Pre 2 + Touchpad.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I was really hoping that would work as well, but it doesn't. On the other hand, phone calls to successfully route to/from the tablet and Pre2.

If anyone has a working txt setup and can provide pointers on how they made it happen, please post!!!
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    I was really hoping that would work as well, but it doesn't. On the other hand, phone calls to successfully route to/from the tablet and Pre2.

If anyone has a working txt setup and can provide pointers on how they made it happen, please post!!!
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...reenshots.html
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    My only problem with the Pre 2 is how much smaller the keyboard is. I have fat fingers and prefer a bigger keyboard.
    Which patches?
    if you install preware there are advanced patches that does what palm could have done. For example, it takes advantage of stacks and gives the option to open each email in a new card. My pc doesn't even do that
    Which patches?
    Install Preware first of all. Then install all of sconix's Advanced System patches and Mode Switcher. Go from there! Apps are ok, but patches make the phone yours and they really are what make the WebOS experience what it is.
    KCTraveler likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by myrv View Post
    My only problem with the Pre 2 is how much smaller the keyboard is. I have fat fingers and prefer a bigger keyboard.
    My fingers are also not so small, but I don't have any difficulties pressing buttons.

snorri788
    I also looked for webOS phone... For me there were 2 options: Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pre 2. I prefer Palm Pre 2 and I don't regret. It is quite hard to compare Pre 2 with Pre 3 for me, but, basing on reviews, one of the main features, which is really important, is bigger screen.
    Here you can find some specification for both devices, but, I think, you have already seen it
    HP Pre 3 Vs. Palm Pre 2 | TechnoBuffalo
    if you aim too much typing becomes a pain. Just do it and you will find you got it right most of the time. That's has been my experience anyway
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    if you aim too much typing becomes a pain. Just do it and you will find you got it right most of the time. That's has been my experience anyway
    the webOS keyboard is one of the best touch keyboards that I have used. I have a se satio and the keyboard on that is really difficult to use. One of the reasons I want a pre 2 is because of the portrait keyboard. The phone shops in the UK only really have blackberry phones in that form factor.
    the price of Pre 3 is way too much, for a product with no future, its just unreasonable.

And size does matter, when open the slider, Pre 3 becomes way too tall.
    I think that if the Pre 2 owners could receive the 2.2 update, we would not need the Pre 3. The larger screen would be nice, however for me, the Pre 2 is a good size. If I need bigger, I turn to my TouchPad.
    Pre2 is Pre2. Pre threez the pre threez
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    the price of Pre 3 is way too much, for a product with no future, its just unreasonable.

And size does matter, when open the slider, Pre 3 becomes way too tall.
    The thing with the pre3 is that since I have an upgrade on my contract coming soon, I could get one without paying out any cash, whereas a Pre2 would cost me around 150.

As for the screen size, a big screen would be nice, as I'm used to the 3.5" screen on my SE Satio. Although I'd prob get used to a Pre2's size. Apparently they sit better on the touchstone too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast