Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By rrknight
  • 2 Post By blue duck butter
  • 1 Post By rrknight
  • 1 Post By Abyssul
  1.    #1  
    I was about to Frankenpre my new Pre 2 on Sprint and I read the disclaimer on webOS internals that "using Windows is no longer supported." I have Windows Vista on my computer, does this mean that I will not be able to do the process myself?

Thank you.
    dangerous340 likes this.
    You install ubuntu as a dual boot on your windows PC. The method to use cygwin inside of Windows is no longer supported as it caused issues. I installed ubuntu on my windows 7 PC, no problem, and built mine that way.
    65fastback and daffy4u like this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    You install ubuntu as a dual boot on your windows PC. The method to use cygwin inside of Windows is no longer supported as it caused issues. I installed ubuntu on my windows 7 PC, no problem, and built mine that way.
    Can you provide me guidance on how to do that?
    dangerous340 likes this.
    start here
    ubuntu.com
    download the image and burn it to a cd.
    i have a dualboot with win7 but i installed ubuntu first. you may have to read further into the website for installing after windows. you just need this to create the doctor using the webos-internals scripts. once the doctor is created you can run it on windows if you prefer.
    Or just use a virtual machine or even a live cd. No need to install a whole OS for a simple task.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    planeswalker1 likes this.
    Looks like this may work ok under Windows: Download | Ubuntu
    Last edited by hemisphire; 09/01/2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: meaning unclear
  7.    #7  
    webOS internals specifically says not to use Ubuntu "Windows Installer."

I've completed the surgery portion of the conversion, but this 2nd part is killing me!
    I just did this last night.

Follow the directions in step one for the MetaDoctor
    Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

The directions are a little confusing. Click the "Ubuntu 11.04" link and click the large orange button on the right side of the page.

Also download virtual clone drive, this will allow you to mount the .iso image (Ubuntu 11.04) as a virtual drive, no dvd burning necessary.
    SlySoft Virtual CloneDrive

Once you've mounted the image an autorun box should pop up. If not just go to "My Computer" and click on the mounted image and find the autorun.

This link is also helpful for the install
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

The biggest problem I had was I wasn't patient enough. After I got Ubuntu installed and booted, it loaded a splash screen that shows all the features of Ubuntu and said Install in the top left corner. It just sat there for quite a while with the cursor showing a swirling icon. After waiting about 20 minutes and nothing happening I reset the computer and tried again. After several tries and not getting anything I tried again and this time found a log which showed it was in fact doing something and not just sitting there hung up. So my point is, expect the install to take 30 minutes +. Once you get that done, finish step one under the metadoctor wiki then go back to the WebOS 2 upgrade wiki. It's fairly easy from there.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_t_heilbrun View Post
    I just did this last night.

Follow the directions in step one for the MetaDoctor
    Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

The directions are a little confusing. Click the "Ubuntu 11.04" link and click the large orange button on the right side of the page.

Also download virtual clone drive, this will allow you to mount the .iso image (Ubuntu 11.04) as a virtual drive, no dvd burning necessary.
    SlySoft Virtual CloneDrive

Once you've mounted the image an autorun box should pop up. If not just go to "My Computer" and click on the mounted image and find the autorun.

This link is also helpful for the install
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

The biggest problem I had was I wasn't patient enough. After I got Ubuntu installed and booted, it loaded a splash screen that shows all the features of Ubuntu and said Install in the top left corner. It just sat there for quite a while with the cursor showing a swirling icon. After waiting about 20 minutes and nothing happening I reset the computer and tried again. After several tries and not getting anything I tried again and this time found a log which showed it was in fact doing something and not just sitting there hung up. So my point is, expect the install to take 30 minutes +. Once you get that done, finish step one under the metadoctor wiki then go back to the WebOS 2 upgrade wiki. It's fairly easy from there.
    ...You weren't kidding, still waiting on the install...
    I did the install and dual boot option, because it takes up very little space and if you ever want to play around with Ubuntu (it's actually a pretty nice OS), you have the option, plus if you need to build a new meta-doctor down the road for new, added features and such, Ubuntu is right there and ready for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Or just use a virtual machine or even a live cd. No need to install a whole OS for a simple task.
    Is says not to use a live cd in webos internals....
    if you don't use ubuntu all the much, virtualbox is a better way than dual boot
    I have ubuntu and virtualbox already installed.... I am still trying to complere the "1 step in metadoctor" so I can go back to step 3 in webos 2 upgrade wiki.... It doesnt say "exactly" what to do next...
    This can be used to assist you...

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-t...ation-etc.html

It was created with Ubuntu 9.10, so one or two commands are slightly different, but the gist is the same. Just haven't personally had anytime to update it.