Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I have a Verizon PrePlus and can upgrade next month. Love the plus and have had it since day 1 on Verizon.

I can get a Pre 2 for $50. Much nicer than the Plus (and looking forward to gorilla glass) and I love the touchstone. I'm fine with the apps I have. My only two issues with the plus - no skype and no international calls.

The Pre3 would have done both. That's no longer and option.

I travel a lot, spent 6 weeks abroad last year, and when I was in Brazil last month my computer bricked and I had no way to contact anyone. In fact, for a few hours I honestly worried about the possibility of being kidnapped. So having a phone or skype that works internationally is important to me OCASSIONALLY.

But on a day-to-day level, both the iphone and all the Droids are too darn big for my jean pockets - or even a small purse. If I wanted a tablet I would have bought one.

Is the pre2 enough of an upgrade that it's worth it? I could always rent an international phone if I had to when needed. Or is there a small phone that's similar in Verizon's line? I can't find one.
    I own a Pre2. It's night and day over the original Pre and much better build quality than the Pre+. It's funny - 6 months ago none of my friends ever batted an eye at my phone. "oh thats webOS, isn't that like DOS?", now they can't get enough of it. Does it do this? Well does it do THIS? Well how abooooout, THIS!

I've said it before, but webOS has always been 12-24 months ahead of its time. Back on topic though - I would definitely recommend the Pre2. It's got a few bugs that hopefully can be fixed with a 2.2 meta doctor but its been perfect for me. The homebrew patches, the touchstone, the performance tweaks - its very solid. The form factor is perfect and fits nicely in a case or holster. My wife has dropped hers a few times and it hasn't flinched. Battery life isn't the best but I always get a solid day out of it with pretty heavy use.
    I just paid for a Pre 2 on Ebay for 150 pounds, amazingly cheap. My Pre Plus just developed screen problems. Androids are interesting but I'd use webOS if I can!
    You won't regret the Pre2.
    Can the pre2 do things with the touchpad that the pre+ can't? My pre+ only seems to be able to make calls over bluetooth.
    I upgraded my Pre Plus to a Pre2 last wk and its definitely nicer. Hardware feels much more solid. Keyboard is more solid, Gorilla glass screen doesn't scratch easily, overall feel is better. Most apps work, some patches aren't available for webOS2 yet but most major ones are. I miss the upstart manager & Sconix's launcher mods, but otherwise its great.
    just finished making myself a frankenPre 2 on sprint. Excellent phone. No contest to your pre plus. Trust it will feel like a BIG upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by nxd10 View Post
    I can get a Pre 2 for $50. Much nicer than the Plus (and looking forward to gorilla glass) and I love the touchstone. I'm fine with the apps I have. My only two issues with the plus - no skype and no international calls.

The Pre3 would have done both. That's no longer and option.

I travel a lot, spent 6 weeks abroad last year, and when I was in Brazil last month my computer bricked and I had no way to contact anyone. In fact, for a few hours I honestly worried about the possibility of being kidnapped. So having a phone or skype that works internationally is important to me OCASSIONALLY.

But on a day-to-day level, both the iphone and all the Droids are too darn big for my jean pockets - or even a small purse. If I wanted a tablet I would have bought one.

Is the pre2 enough of an upgrade that it's worth it? I could always rent an international phone if I had to when needed. Or is there a small phone that's similar in Verizon's line? I can't find one.

Get a reliable international phone and carry an iPod Touch or a Pre or whatever you want for your extra stuff. Keep the extra device in the computer bag. You need reliable communications in your pants pocket more than apps... maybe a simple text/email phone to keep up with people and then an app platform like an ipod/ipad/etc.

I'm a Pre+ user myself - but I have a work iPhone. I also don't travel at all outside the US for work.

Just a thought - is there a Pre2 version that works in the regions you travel? You could get one and a Verizon one cheaply and swap the profile back and forth when you travel.
    Love my Pre2.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    To unclevenla - What an interesting idea. In fact, now that you say it, I already own an international phone that is sitting in my closet - a bombproof, waterproof, do anything phone that doesn't even require a data contract from g'zone I bought used.

I could update to a pre2 and then just activate the international phone when I'm seriously traveling and change the phone back when I get back in country. I'm usually gone for 2 weeks at a time, so it would be worth it, and Verizon doesn't actually charge to flip phones. It won't do skype, but that's what my computer is for. I just need a PHONE when I'm abroad in an emergency.

The big downside for me to update to any phone right now is losing the free lifetime hotspot. That may make it worth holding onto this phone until it dies.

Thanks all! Very, very helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    just finished making myself a frankenPre 2 on sprint. Excellent phone. No contest to your pre plus. Trust it will feel like a BIG upgrade
    Glad to hear you say that... I am considering going that route myself. I have a launch day pre- that is starting to show its age.
    oooo yea the launch day pre- makes me shutter. I had a pre- first and it is unbearably slow. The Frankenpre plus felt pretty fast at first but it soon started to feel really slow especially not overclocked, but still way better than pre-.

FrankenPre 2 is speedy from the get go, even with no patches and no overclocking. It doesn't lag at all(after initial synergy syncing of course...but still faster than pre-). I installed all the muffle logging patches and overclocked to 1.1ghz and I have to say I don't even see a difference the phone is blazing fast either way. You will definitely enjoy it.