Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Need to replace aging pre+ and can upgrade for $50. Since I thought I would eventually upgrade to the pre3 I never paid much attention to the pre2. Are there any significant issues I should be aware of upgrading as far as the transfering of data/profile/apps etc I should be aware of? Any steps I should take first prior to attempting to transfer? (i've never used preware/patches, etc). Thank for the help, I've looked at recent threads, but if you want to point me at any specific ones too that would be great.

(yes I know that HP not in webOS device manufacture any longer, not that kind of issue).
    Look into Save Restore if you haven't. Back up your USB drive and that's it.

$50 is pretty good. Is that with a 2 year contract? You could get one on ebay right now* for like $150 and save your upgrade in case you later decide to jump ship...

*or you could yesterday anyway...
    I went from the Pre+ to the Pre 2 and love it. The faster processor makes overclocking unnecessary (IMHO) and the gorilla glass screen is great (I scratched my Pre +). It was buggy at first until VZW/Palm pushed out the 2.1 update. I would strongly recommend installing Preware and using Save/Restore to backup your app data. If you search, there's a great article here on precentral that details all the steps to move your personal data.
    hf199 likes this.
    Is it true that Verizon doesn't offer the free Mobile HotSpot feature with Pre2 like they do for the Pre+? That's what is holding me back from upgrading. I use the Mobile HotSpot feature all the time.
    It is true that the Pre 2 does not come with free Hotspot.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    It is true that the Pre 2 does not come with free Hotspot.
    I do enjoy the MHS feature. annoying that it's not included. I like my cake and eating it too!

Other options?
    I saw a post that it was easy to swap the comm board from a + to a 2 and have it appear to VZW as if you are still using the + (the ESN would be from the +), I'm considering that myself, then I can surf on my Touchpad.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Love this community, thanks, I print it out and have a go at it. I really don't want to lose the data in certain apps. That would be a hassle!
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I saw a post that it was easy to swap the comm board from a + to a 2 and have it appear to VZW as if you are still using the + (the ESN would be from the +), I'm considering that myself, then I can surf on my Touchpad.
    We are probably moving beyond what I can learn to do Not sure. Installing and using preware has always intrigued but intimidated me. sounds like save/restore may be the best option, so preware it is.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Look into Save Restore if you haven't. Back up your USB drive and that's it.

$50 is pretty good. Is that with a 2 year contract? You could get one on ebay right now* for like $150 and save your upgrade in case you later decide to jump ship...

*or you could yesterday anyway...
    Yes, the $50 is with 2 year contract If I purchased an unlocked VZW pre2 how do I get it activated on their network? (I know this is really dumb for you all, but I really haven't done this before - does VZW even know or what? not sure what the issues could be). I haven't googled yet how to activate an unlocked pre2 on VZW network.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdunnough View Post
    Is it true that Verizon doesn't offer the free Mobile HotSpot feature with Pre2 like they do for the Pre+? That's what is holding me back from upgrading. I use the Mobile HotSpot feature all the time.
    Yes, you lose your free hotspot.
    I had almost completed a purchase over the phone because the website said I had to change my plan but I knew I didn't. As the rep walked me through the purchase I noticed in the options was $20/month for the HotSpot. When I questioned it she read through and found that it is only Pixi and Pre+ that qualified. I stopped right there because I didn't want to give that up.
    I have since bought a $50 Pre 2 off contract because I know it can't last forever.
    By the way put your acct. info in and check for the upgrade. It came up at $15.99 for me with renewal.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    can't he use freetether instead of the hotspot?
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    Link?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alfaverde View Post
    Yes, you lose your free hotspot.
    I had almost completed a purchase over the phone because the website said I had to change my plan but I knew I didn't. As the rep walked me through the purchase I noticed in the options was $20/month for the HotSpot. When I questioned it she read through and found that it is only Pixi and Pre+ that qualified. I stopped right there because I didn't want to give that up.
    I have since bought a $50 Pre 2 off contract because I know it can't last forever.
    btw, did you ever hear the rationale for not giving free mhs on the pre2? guess it was just another source of income that was too popular to give away.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdunnough View Post
    Also keep in mind that, not only will you no longer have the free hotspot, but if you were grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan, you will lose that as well.

Instead you will be paying $30 for 2 GB of data and NO hotspot.

$30 = Pre Plus + 5 GB hotspot + unlimited data
    or
    $30 = Pre 2 + 2 GB data + no hotspot

I simply couldn't do it. I think I'd buy a NIB Plus off eBay before I'd switch to a Pre 2, really, since I use well over 5GB of data and almost 5GB of hotspot every month. With all the patches & overclocking, I'm a pretty happy camper.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Also keep in mind that, not only will you no longer have the free hotspot, but if you were grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan, you will lose that as well.

Instead you will be paying $30 for 2 GB of data and NO hotspot.

$30 = Pre Plus + 5 GB hotspot + unlimited data
    or
    $30 = Pre 2 + 2 GB data + no hotspot

I simply couldn't do it. I think I'd buy a NIB Plus off eBay before I'd switch to a Pre 2, really, since I use well over 5GB of data and almost 5GB of hotspot every month. With all the patches & overclocking, I'm a pretty happy camper.
    Good points there too. VZW Support told me they did have refurb pre+ to give me if I didn't want to upgrade. Honestly, the pre+ is probably fine for me if the darn keyboard wasn't a disaster. I have the extended warranty so I think there's a cost (deductible) to this refurb option as well. Thanks for taking the time to get me up to speed. (wracking my brain though as to what NIB is!).
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Is there a way to keep text messages, pop3 emails, and the like, when moving from Pre+ to Pre2? If freetether can substitute for MHS, I might be ready to jump to a Pre2 too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alfaverde View Post
    Link?
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2923785
    Free Tether eliminates the need for the VZW/Palm Mobile Hotspot app.

Also, if you were grandfathered in with "unlimited data", you will retain this, as long as you don't change your dataplan. Mine is still active and I upgraded from VZW Pre+ to Pre2 recently. I was waiting on the $50 or $99 phones at HP EPP to come back into stock but got tired of the fuss.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast