Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I switched to a Verizon Pre2 about a week ago and have found it to be a much better peforming phone than my OC Pre+. I do miss the Advanced Launcher patch allowing more icons, but have been able to get Classic working and am able to keep my Palm programs too. I got mine for $4.99 and added a touchstone for $3.75. So far it has been worth the price
    I did worry about losing the MHS, but free tether works just fine. Also, since I already had a data plan, it continues to be unlimited with the Pre2. Now if there was a way to get more icons on the screen, but that seems to not be an option in 2.1.0
    Last edited by TimBoch; 08/27/2011 at 10:25 AM.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Also keep in mind that, not only will you no longer have the free hotspot, but if you were grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan, you will lose that as well.

Instead you will be paying $30 for 2 GB of data and NO hotspot.

$30 = Pre Plus + 5 GB hotspot + unlimited data
    or
    $30 = Pre 2 + 2 GB data + no hotspot

Not exactly-

Yes, you will loose free MHS.

But you will not loose your unlimited $29.99 email and web feature.

Your unlimited web and email for $29.99 is grandfathered as long as you maintain a smartphone on that line, for now. If you upgrade, even to a 4G device, you will remain on the same unlimited plan. VZW isn't saying that this will always be the case, but it is for now.
    Losing MHS kept me from switching to the Pre 2, but I finally did last May. I love the phone. Much better than the Pre + especially since the 2.1 upgrade.

FreeTether works just awesome.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Also keep in mind that, not only will you no longer have the free hotspot, but if you were grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan, you will lose that as well.

or

I simply couldn't do it. I think I'd buy a NIB Plus off eBay before I'd switch to a Pre 2, really, since I use well over 5GB of data and almost 5GB of hotspot every month. With all the patches & overclocking, I'm a pretty happy camper.
    I was able to upgrade from the Pre + to the Pre 2 and still kept my unlimited data. I just had to pay $20/month for the hotspot.
    I am extremely happy with my Pre2
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I'd be happier if I could get my update to work.

or

I simply couldn't do it. I think I'd buy a NIB Plus off eBay before I'd switch to a Pre 2, really, since I use well over 5GB of data and almost 5GB of hotspot every month. With all the patches & overclocking, I'm a pretty happy camper.
    I bought one on Monday online from Verizon, upgraded from a Pre Plus. Nothing wrong with my PrePlus. I will stick the Plus in the closet as my backup. Nothing changed on my Data, it even says on my paperwork that I have Unlimited for $29.99. So I will have it for two more years at least.
    I ordered a Palm Pre2 from HP for 49.99 and await it's arrival. I currently have a flip phone so I am not eligible for the 29.99 Unlimited plan... HOWEVER if I use the Pre 2 as a prepaid phone I get basically the same price as a contract plan but the 29.99 smartphone plan is Unlimited on Prepaid for smartphones!

Check it out. (probably old news)
    Plans - Verizon Wireless

I was in a verizon store today and they confirmed I can use the Pre 2 as a prepaid phone. Going to test this out when it arrives next week. Since need an individual plan this seems the best deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by rono cluck View Post
    Not exactly-

Your unlimited web and email for $29.99 is grandfathered as long as you maintain a smartphone on that line, for now. If you upgrade, even to a 4G device, you will remain on the same unlimited plan. VZW isn't saying that this will always be the case, but it is for now.
    That's good to know. Sorry for the misinformation.
    Quote Originally Posted by rono cluck View Post
    Not exactly-

Not only is Verizon not saying it - it's not doing it. When I ordered a Pre2 the system required me to change my data plan away from the unlimited before I could complete the transaction. A call to customer service was less than helpful - if I wanted the Pre2 I had to give up the unlimited data plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitxitxita View Post
    Not only is Verizon not saying it - it's not doing it. When I ordered a Pre2 the system required me to change my data plan away from the unlimited before I could complete the transaction. A call to customer service was less than helpful - if I wanted the Pre2 I had to give up the unlimited data plan.
    Call back and ask them to speak with their supervisor. The CS rep has to flag the account and send it to another division to have your old plan reinstated after you purchase the phone.

This was the same issue I had when trying to order it online. The problem is because you will no longer have the free HotSpot. I don't think they realize this but as the rep was walking through the online purchase I questioned the HotSpot $20 plan and she told me it would no longer apply so I cancelled the order at that time. As I scrolled down that page at the bottom it stated the free service needed to be removed. That is why it's saying that you have to change plans. They just didn't put a provision in for that.

I got a really great rep that was patient and understood when I did not want to go through with it when I learned about the HotSpot charges.

When the $50 off contract phones dropped I changed my mind and will just use free tether.
    been contemplating this same issue.

but aren't you guys worried that no more software updates may come for this phone...esp if signing a 2 yr contract.

that's 2 more years with webos 2.1 only...
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I'm trying to figure out what I gain and lose by going from a Pixi Plus to a Pre2. Does this list look right:

Same:

- unlimited data plan (getting mixed messages on this one?)
    - BT connection to TouchPad
    - Battery life?

Plus:

- faster system
    - webOS 2.x with staccks, Just type, Skype, etc.
    - bigger display with Gorilla Glass
    - slightly better keyboard
    - working GPS

Minus:

- lose MHS (will have to use FreeTether)
    - pay $150 on eBay

Are there any other considerations in making this switch?
    Last edited by miata; 08/27/2011 at 10:11 AM.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    been contemplating this same issue.

but aren't you guys worried that no more software updates may come for this phone...esp if signing a 2 yr contract.

that's 2 more years with webos 2.1 only...
    Partially the reason I balked when I learned I'd lose my HotSpot. Didn't want to tie into a contract not knowing the future of webOS or what devices would show up. I'd have been really peeved if suddenly Pre 3's start showing up and I'd used my new every two on the 2.

Off contract $50 Pre 2 made it a no-brainer.
    While I understand not wanting to be under a contract, how much of a difference will it really make for you? I like knowing I could go to a different carrier, but realistically
    a contract isn't an issue for me...in my area I'm pretty much not leaving Verizon... unless of course they do something really stupid (like ATT->Cingular) and make phone calls all but impossible. If that happens I'm leaving with or without contract and not paying a ETF.

For me the question became, since I know I will be there for at least 2 years, why spend an extra $150-$200 to buy an ebay phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by alfaverde View Post
    Call back and ask them to speak with their supervisor. The CS rep has to flag the account and send it to another division to have your old plan reinstated after you purchase the phone.

This was the same issue I had when trying to order it online. The problem is because you will no longer have the free HotSpot. I don't think they realize this but as the rep was walking through the online purchase I questioned the HotSpot $20 plan and she told me it would no longer apply so I cancelled the order at that time. As I scrolled down that page at the bottom it stated the free service needed to be removed. That is why it's saying that you have to change plans. They just didn't put a provision in for that.

I got a really great rep that was patient and understood when I did not want to go through with it when I learned about the HotSpot charges.

When the $50 off contract phones dropped I changed my mind and will just use free tether.
    Thanks - I'll do that when I call to get the phone activated.

[UPDATE] When I called to activate the Pre2 the CSR told me without asking I was grandfathered in and would keep my old data plan. No problem...and a great reminder of why I don't plan on changing carriers.
    Last edited by Pitxitxita; 09/05/2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Update
    I did my upgrade myself, using "my account" on the "Verizon wireless" web site to upgrade my Pre+ to a Pre2. I experienced NO problems keeping my "unlimited data" plan. There was even a warning that said "if you change your data plan from the current pkg you will not be able to undo"... basically stating if I removed the unlimited data I could never get it back. SO, to confirm, you CAN grandfather in your unlimited data from your current plan if you upgrade on VZW. I just did this last wk.

Install Free Tether from Preware and you'll never miss MHS.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12