Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    So, I've got a brand new, unlocked Pre2 en route to my home as we speak, and I plan to FrankenPre it so it'll run on Sprint. However, Murphy's Law is the main government enforced in my home, so I'm a little hesitant to disassemble my working and faithful Pre-.

As such, I wanted to start a discussion to go over any tips or tricks (or general statements of encouragement) to help me prepare for my conversion.

I've read, re-read and read again the instructions on WebOSInternals, and first of all, let me say THANK YOU to those wonderful guys for providing such a great resource! The information is pretty straightforward, but since pieces of instructions are scattered across multiple pages, I just want to quadruple check that I've got the basic plan in place.

Here's the "agenda" for my conversion:

While this list seems rather short, I see hours and hours of work/random issues. Plus, I've seen in some posts that FrankenPreing a GSM phone for Sprint is a little different than the instructions on WebOSInternals.

I REALLY want to do this, and I know I can (I managed to get 2.1 running on my backup Pre-, after some challenges), but I'm not quite sure what to expect.

Lastly, will I be able to re-install FreeTether assuming I can get the phone working? I NEED a mobile hotspot for my business tablet, and would hate to lose that ability.

Anyway, if you have any "ah-ha moments" (my corporate side is coming out), tips, suggestions, etc, please feel free to share them!

Thank you in advance!

Karla
    Last edited by soccerbudd; 08/29/2011 at 09:13 AM.
    tcurtin and Titan078 like this.
    why would you need to install flash on a pre2?
    Don't delete anything on your Pre-... once you are done with your Frankenpre, your pre- will still work with all of your installed apps, and wifi. Only the phone module will not work.

The toughest part was the disassembly. The entire process only took an hour or so. The issue may be Mac - I always have issues with the novacom drivers, I think because I had at one point installed an earlier version.

Also, once you have it running, it isn't too hard to readd the Sprint apps (though I haven't had luck with Sprint Navigation, but others have).
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    so you are saying we can put the verizon board on the pre- and it will still work?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    why would you need to install flash on a pre2?
    If I remember correctly, the flash files were available once the webOS doctors for 2.x were released. Some people added these files to their Pre2s to get flash working.

I guess I don't "need" to install flash, but it could prove helpful at times.

Karla
    Last edited by soccerbudd; 08/23/2011 at 02:00 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    Don't delete anything on your Pre-... once you are done with your Frankenpre, your pre- will still work with all of your installed apps, and wifi. Only the phone module will not work.

The toughest part was the disassembly. The entire process only took an hour or so. The issue may be Mac - I always have issues with the novacom drivers, I think because I had at one point installed an earlier version.

Also, once you have it running, it isn't too hard to readd the Sprint apps (though I haven't had luck with Sprint Navigation, but others have).
    Thanks, ka1!

Will there be no issues with my palm profile existing on two phones? If not, I hope I can keep my profile data, though webosInternals strongly advises deleting it to ensure the conversion is successful.

As for the disassembly, I'm more worried about breaking my new phone. That volume rocker ribbon is the scariest/easiest thing to break.

The only Sprint app I care about is Navigation. I really hope I can get it to work. Have you followed the instructions and were still unsuccessful? Also, did you update your PRL information?

Karla
    I followed the instructions, not sure what went wrong with nav...

There seems to be no issue with the two phones on one profile. Maybe one isn't backing up? It is connected via wifi, and I see the emails and such going to it...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    but I thought the pre 2 already came with flash player installed?

Quote Originally Posted by soccerbudd View Post
    If I remember correctly, the flash files were available once the webOS doctors for 2.x were released. Some people added these files to their Pre2s to get flash working.

I guess I don't "need" to install flash, but it could prove helpful at times.

Karla
    Meta Doctor of the 2.1 script comes with flash. Idk if that's standard for WebOS 2.1 or if metadoctor adds it, but my Pre2 has it automatically

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    My Frankenpre2 had flash when metadoctor was complete, i'm pretty sure. I didn't have to add it. Though I do remember the phone saying it needed to go from 2.0 to 2.1 or something, some sort of update, but then it reported it was up to date.
    KA1
    Good thread, keep it going.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Here's a little trick about the Contacts list. After getting the TPad, I converted all of my contacts away from the Palm Profile to one of the cloud-based ones, such as Google.

By converting them to Google, the entire Contacts list will stay synchronized across all webOS devices and no longer need to be backed-up or restored. They would also be available on a website depending on the "cloud" you use. In the example, my Gmail Contacts page

Even if you don't have multiple webOS devices, migrating the Contacts and even Calendars to the famous cloud provides automatic backup without having to think about it.

Igor is busy getting the lab ready and I'll convert a Pre2 to FrankenPre soon enough as well (hopefully).
    War Eagle!
    yup in 1 to 2 weeks I will revisit this thread! Thanks for consolidating the info.
  14.    #14  
    No problem! I hope I captured everything! If anyone from WebOSInternals, sees this thread, please let me know if my "game plan" is correct!

Also, you're someone's who's done a conversion, PLEASE post your experience! Now that Pres will be going the way of the dodo, it's more important than ever to take the best care of our products as possible! Any tips, suggestions, pictures, etc. that could be helpful for other conversions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
    Karla
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    My Frankenpre2 had flash when metadoctor was complete, i'm pretty sure. I didn't have to add it. Though I do remember the phone saying it needed to go from 2.0 to 2.1 or something, some sort of update, but then it reported it was up to date.
    Good to know! I remember reading that some people had to add it. If I don't, that's an added bonus!

Thanks!
    Karla
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    Here's a little trick about the Contacts list. After getting the TPad, I converted all of my contacts away from the Palm Profile to one of the cloud-based ones, such as Google.

By converting them to Google, the entire Contacts list will stay synchronized across all webOS devices and no longer need to be backed-up or restored. They would also be available on a website depending on the "cloud" you use. In the example, my Gmail Contacts page

Even if you don't have multiple webOS devices, migrating the Contacts and even Calendars to the famous cloud provides automatic backup without having to think about it.

Igor is busy getting the lab ready and I'll convert a Pre2 to FrankenPre soon enough as well (hopefully).
    Great tip! Thank you! Did you manually convert the contacts to the "cloud", or is there an automated way to do it? Either way, I have A LOT of contacts, so I'll be sure to look into it!

Thanks again!
    Karla
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerbudd View Post
    Great tip! Thank you! Did you manually convert the contacts to the "cloud", or is there an automated way to do it? Either way, I have A LOT of contacts, so I'll be sure to look into it!

Thanks again!
    Karla
    It was much easier than it sounds on the surface. It may seem complicated, this was the way I made the conversion and had no surprises.

Saving and sending the current Contact information
    Get the Preware app called Send All Contacts via Email. The name does what it says. Access your Contacts and you'll see the option "Save All via Email" up in the menu options. When you select that, the Pre will open an email window with an attached file containing all of your contact information. Send that email to an account and save to a computer.

Sending & Updating to a cloud
    Once that file is saved to your computer, access the webpage for the cloud service you're using. I preferred to use Google, so I know it will support all of this. It may be different if using something else like Yahoo.

Once in the Google Contacts webpage, there is an option to Import a File. Go ahead and import the file just saved from the email. Donít worry if you already have contact info in your Google account, the website will check and merge (or delete) duplicate entries.

Feel free to make changes to your Contacts.

Your contacts information is now in Google (or whatever cloud used) and is ready to be downloaded, but you'll want to ensure all of the old information in your webOS device is wiped clean to make sure there's no problems. (I learned a lesson on this part)

Wiping out old information
    Go into the Contacts Preferences & Accounts and remove all accounts listed. This ensures anything you do won't inadvertently change anything in a cloud somewhere. Give the device some time to remove the accounts and update itself before proceeding. You may need to press the Synch Now button to nudge things along.

Now that all of the accounts are removed, all that should be remaining is your contact information entered under your Palm Profile. Delete all of those entries. Remember that all this data was already emailed and uploaded to your primary cloud account. You should have a completely empty contacts list now.

Repeat this for all webOS devices.

Updating new Contacts info to your webOS device
    Return to the Preferences & Accounts screen and first add your primary account (again, Google for me). Press the Synch Now button and give the device time to update everything. While thatís happening, go to the Default Account option in that screen and select the this account as the default. This will make sure any new contact created on your device is automatically added under this account and will synch up with everything else.

After the device has completed updating everything for this primary account, begin adding all the other accounts you have. The Synergy functionality will consolidate the multiple entries.

Thatís the bulk of the conversion. You may want to scroll through and make any touch-ups.
    War Eagle!
  18.    #18  
    Ah! I believe I've seen those instructions before. Thanks for posting them here as well! I really appreciate it!

Karla

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    It was much easier than it sounds on the surface. It may seem complicated, this was the way I made the conversion and had no surprises.

Saving and sending the current Contact information
    Get the Preware app called Send All Contacts via Email. The name does what it says. Access your Contacts and you'll see the option "Save All via Email" up in the menu options. When you select that, the Pre will open an email window with an attached file containing all of your contact information. Send that email to an account and save to a computer.

Sending & Updating to a cloud
    Once that file is saved to your computer, access the webpage for the cloud service you're using. I preferred to use Google, so I know it will support all of this. It may be different if using something else like Yahoo.

Once in the Google Contacts webpage, there is an option to Import a File. Go ahead and import the file just saved from the email. Donít worry if you already have contact info in your Google account, the website will check and merge (or delete) duplicate entries.

Feel free to make changes to your Contacts.

Your contacts information is now in Google (or whatever cloud used) and is ready to be downloaded, but you'll want to ensure all of the old information in your webOS device is wiped clean to make sure there's no problems. (I learned a lesson on this part)

Wiping out old information
    Go into the Contacts Preferences & Accounts and remove all accounts listed. This ensures anything you do won't inadvertently change anything in a cloud somewhere. Give the device some time to remove the accounts and update itself before proceeding. You may need to press the Synch Now button to nudge things along.

Now that all of the accounts are removed, all that should be remaining is your contact information entered under your Palm Profile. Delete all of those entries. Remember that all this data was already emailed and uploaded to your primary cloud account. You should have a completely empty contacts list now.

Repeat this for all webOS devices.

Updating new Contacts info to your webOS device
    Return to the Preferences & Accounts screen and first add your primary account (again, Google for me). Press the Synch Now button and give the device time to update everything. While thatís happening, go to the Default Account option in that screen and select the this account as the default. This will make sure any new contact created on your device is automatically added under this account and will synch up with everything else.

After the device has completed updating everything for this primary account, begin adding all the other accounts you have. The Synergy functionality will consolidate the multiple entries.

Thatís the bulk of the conversion. You may want to scroll through and make any touch-ups.
  19.    #19  
    The Pre2 arrived today! I have the meta doctor all ready to go on my Mac, so I hope to do the conversion this weekend!
    Karla
    "Give me WebOS, or give me death!"
    Palm Pre > Sprint FrankenPre 2 > Verizon Pre 3 (coming soon!)
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Are there any advantages or disadvantages of frankenpre-ing the GSM vs the CDMA Pre 2 to sprint? I know the process is slightly different, but what are (if any) advantages to using one of the other?
    Treo 680, Treo 750, Pre-, Touchpad
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast