Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerbudd View Post
    The Pre2 arrived today! I have the meta doctor all ready to go on my Mac, so I hope to do the conversion this weekend!

How did you get yours so quickly, was it from the fire sale?
    My Pre2 shipped today so hopefully I will be doing the same conversion over the weekend. Let's compare notes!!
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoom15 View Post
    Are there any advantages or disadvantages of frankenpre-ing the GSM vs the CDMA Pre 2 to sprint? I know the process is slightly different, but what are (if any) advantages to using one of the other?
    I have no idea, and I'd like to know the same thing! I don't even know how the process is different...

Anyone FrankenPre a GSM phone for Sprint? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    Karla
    "Give me WebOS, or give me death!"
    Palm Pre > Sprint FrankenPre 2 > Verizon Pre 3 (coming soon!)
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by 9520G View Post
    How did you get yours so quickly, was it from the fire sale?
    No. I got it on eBay. I wasn't able to luck out with the fire sale and decided I'd rather pay a little more rather than spend hours on hold with HP.
    Karla
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by psiwriter View Post
    My Pre2 shipped today so hopefully I will be doing the same conversion over the weekend. Let's compare notes!!
    Awesome! Last night I tried to take care of as much software stuff as possible so I could prepare for the conversion over the weekend. I think I'm set, but I'm having second thoughts about the version of the Meta-Doctor I have.

I put 2.1 on a Pre- back in March and still have the same Meta-Doctor on my Mac. I wasn't able to download a new Meta-Doctor since the files already existed. I'm not sure if it's changed since March and am wondering if I should delete the files/directories and re-download.

My biggest concern is that I'll run into problems when I sign into my Palm Profile on the Pre2 (since I don't want to delete my profile data). Apparently, the newer scripts may allow you to load 2.1 without deleting data. I'm just not sure if the March Meta-Doctor will get the new scripts, or if the Meta-Doctor itself has changed. Ugh....
    Karla
  6.    #26  
    I just saw another thread about someone wanting some Pre2 conversion courage, and saw this helpful post about the difference when converting a GSM phone to Sprint:

http://forums.precentral.net/3087955-post15.html
    Karla
    I have no idea, and I'd like to know the same thing! I don't even know how the process is different...

Anyone FrankenPre a GSM phone for Sprint? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    I sprintified a GSM pre2... And honestly, you are overthinking the process!

For the hardware side, just follow rich dunbar's post on how to do the comms board swap. It literally takes about 5-10 minutes to complete. Then, follow the steps for the metadoc using the script associated with whatever pre2 you ordered on the webosinternals wiki. They have made it ALOT easier than what it used to be! One line of code to unpack/patch/and pack your doctor.

I've done about 5-6 of these, keeps getting easier and easier.

But if you need any help along the way, please feel free to PM me, i'll be more than happy to help.
    DD007 likes this.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    I sprintified a GSM pre2... And honestly, you are overthinking the process!

For the hardware side, just follow rich dunbar's post on how to do the comms board swap. It literally takes about 5-10 minutes to complete. Then, follow the steps for the metadoc using the script associated with whatever pre2 you ordered on the webosinternals wiki. They have made it ALOT easier than what it used to be! One line of code to unpack/patch/and pack your doctor.

I've done about 5-6 of these, keeps getting easier and easier.

But if you need any help along the way, please feel free to PM me, i'll be more than happy to help.
    Thank you for the info and for the offer to help! LOL....I'm not surprised at your comment about overthinking the process. I'm known to do that.

I thought Rich's instructions were for only a comm board swap, but I saw some comments from Rod Whitby about having to switch the comm board AND bezel. Did you also swap bezels?

Tonight, I'm going to practice on my husband's old Pre- so I can get familiar with how the phone fits together. I would just die if I broke my current, faithful Pre- or my shiny new Pre 2.

Thanks again!
    Karla
    I'll donate a couple of videos of the hardware process.

FrankePre Live! The Video - GSM

- CDMA
    DD007 likes this.
  10.    #30  
    For anyone who's interested, here's a video of a Pre- to Pre Plus swap. Hopefully the visual aid will help people understand how tabs fit together, etc.

Warning: The video does contain a man with long fingernails. For some reason, this really grosses me out.

Palm Pre Plus on Sprint Conversion: Com Board Swap - YouTube
    Karla
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Thank you for the info and for the offer to help! LOL....I'm not surprised at your comment about overthinking the process. I'm known to do that.

I thought Rich's instructions were for only a comm board swap, but I saw some comments from Rod Whitby about having to switch the comm board AND bezel. Did you also swap bezels?

Tonight, I'm going to practice on my husband's old Pre- so I can get familiar with how the phone fits together. I would just die if I broke my current, faithful Pre- or my shiny new Pre 2.

Thanks again!
    I did swap bezels, because the connectors for the GPS and universal antennae are longer for the GSM board as opposed to the CDMA board.

But rich's walkthrough has the part where you pull off the back bezel, its what comes off after you take out the first 6 screws
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
    I'll donate a couple of videos of the hardware process.

FrankePre Live! The Video - GSM

- CDMA
    LOL! Great minds! I was still typing when you posted the same video!

Thanks for the donations!!
    Karla
  13.    #33  
    Woot! I just disassembled and reassembled my husband's old Pre- and I'm happy to say it was much easier than I thought it would be!

The keyboard tabs are indeed tricky, but if you look at how the two pieces fit together, they'll snap into place if you get them in the right spot. It's like they "want" to be together. Anyway, thanks to the videos and the instructions from Rich, the conversion should be smoother than I had anticipated.

Now, just feel good about the software side of it. For some reason that's always much more difficult than I think. I guess I'll find out this weekend!

Karla
    Karla
    daffy4u likes this.
  14.    #34  
    FRANKENPRE2 SUCCESSFUL!

I got the phones swapped and am successfully running a Pre 2 on Sprint!

Unfortunately, I am unable to get the PRL update and am struggling to find the file needed from 1.4.5 to do so (I wish that was a little more clearly pointed out before I doctored to 2.1).

I'm also having a hard time with Sprint Nav.

If anyone wants to assist me with the PRL update, please let me know!

Thanks!
    Karla
    daffy4u likes this.
  15.    #35  
    UPDATE:

Sprint Navigation loaded and running successfully!

Now onto flash!
    Karla
    Karla

Thanks so much for posting this thread. Timing was perfect, as I also got my (ebay) unlocked Pre 2 yesterday. Having all the links in one place was so helpful! I did the software stuff last night and the surgery this morning, and it's all up and running. Can you post a link to info on how to get the Sprint Nav working if you get a chance?
    So, I am not as techie, but plan to get a Pre 2 for Sprint. If I know someone who might be able to get it working using the esn or whatever he mentioned, will I not have to get it broken down with the com board, etc as mentioned by the op.....thanks
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomthing View Post
    Karla

Thanks so much for posting this thread. Timing was perfect, as I also got my (ebay) unlocked Pre 2 yesterday. Having all the links in one place was so helpful! I did the software stuff last night and the surgery this morning, and it's all up and running. Can you post a link to info on how to get the Sprint Nav working if you get a chance?
    You're welcome! I thought I may not be the only one who wanted a straightforward explanation of the process. There's still some stuff you need to read through, but at least everything is now in one simplified place.

As for the Sprint nav...it was simpler than I thought. The thread with instructions is linked in the original post, but I specifically used post #116.

Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    So, I am not as techie, but plan to get a Pre 2 for Sprint. If I know someone who might be able to get it working using the esn or whatever he mentioned, will I not have to get it broken down with the com board, etc as mentioned by the op.....thanks
    There are several forum members who will do the conversion for you for a small fee. As for the ESN... I'm not sure I can answer that question. Good luck!
    Last edited by soccerbudd; 08/27/2011 at 10:02 PM.
    Karla
  19.    #39  
    Update on outstanding items:

* Since my Pre 2 was updated to 2.1 shortly after Frankening, I now have flash!
    * Apparently the PRL cannot be updated on a Sprint Pre 2. My phone is showing the most current PRL (60681), so I think I'm good for a while!

I just LOVE this new phone! It's so fast, more solid, and just a great device overall!
    Karla
    congrads
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast