Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    My poor little Sprint Pre is not feeling well. I can no longer hear phone calls unless I use the speaker phone or a BT headset (yes, I've done the paperclip, headphone in and out, alcohol on a q-tip and hold upside down and blow dance).

With the news that the Pre 3 won't be coming to the U.S., I had decided to get an Android phone. After much soul searching I decided I won't be happy with an Android phone at this time so I bought a NIB Verizon Pre 2 from eBay (bought new because I didn't want to inherit anyone else's problems).

I've read through the FrankePre process and watched a couple of videos but I'm just no confident enough to try it. I don't have a fear playing with software but if I mess up, it will be a very expensive mistake and I cannot be without a phone.

Anyone in the Long Beach (L.A.) area able to do this for me for a small fee?
    there are several members here that will do it if you send it to them.
  3.    #3  
    Hope they chime in!
    search is your friend. I'm remote so I won't be able to look until later.

http://webosworld.com/device-services/
    Quote Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
    My poor little Sprint Pre is not feeling well. I can no longer hear phone calls unless I use the speaker phone or a BT headset (yes, I've done the paperclip, headphone in and out, alcohol on a q-tip and hold upside down and blow dance).

With the news that the Pre 3 won't be coming to the U.S., I had decided to get an Android phone. After much soul searching I decided I won't be happy with an Android phone at this time so I bought a NIB Verizon Pre 2 from eBay (bought new because I didn't want to inherit anyone else's problems).

I've read through the FrankePre process and watched a couple of videos but I'm just no confident enough to try it. I don't have a fear playing with software but if I mess up, it will be a very expensive mistake and I cannot be without a phone.

Anyone in the Long Beach (L.A.) area able to do this for me for a small fee?
    I'd do it for free it you paid for the shipping because I'm not local and live in Philly. I've already done a few of the Pre Pluses and Pre 2's with success. I enjoy doing it. My Sprint Pre 2 is doing great. If you can't find someone local, PM me
  6.    #6  
    I'm actually searching and looking through all the FrankenPre threads right now.
  7.    #7  
    Thank you phillyeagles36, but I can't be without a phone that long. I'm freelance and I'd miss work.
    Thank you phillyeagles36, but I can't be without a phone that long. I'm freelance and I'd miss work.
    Understood. It's not as hard as it seems. You should buy a cheap pre- on ebay to practice swapping the comm board. Then, maybe you will get the confidence to do it with your Pre 2. I've gotten pres for 7-20 bucks on ebay in the past.
    daffy4u likes this.
  9.    #9  
    That's a great idea!
    phillyeagles36 likes this.
    That's a great idea!
    Yeah that's what I did the first time cause I was also somewhat nervous. Good luck on your frankenpre.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the good wishes. Just found a local Pre for $25 on Craigslist, hoping I can pick it up tomorrow.

That really was a great idea. If I'm successful, I'll pass it on to another PC member who needs a practice Pre.
    i picked up one of the unlocked gsm off hp's small biz site today. is the process relatively the same for frankenpre-ing one of the gsm units? After I'm done, do i have to contact sprint to get it on my account?

i am really nervous about doing this as well! never done anything like this. i am a launch day Pre- owner and it's just about bit the dust.
  13.    #13  
    I don't think you can use a GSM phone on Sprint. It has to be CDMA which is Sprint and Verizon.
    I don't think you can use a GSM phone on Sprint. It has to be CDMA which is Sprint and Verizon.
    For the frankenpre you can use either the GSM or the CDMA (Verizon). But with the Unlocked GSM you need to swap the COMM board and the whole back bezel.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfoster146 View Post
    i picked up one of the unlocked gsm off hp's small biz site today. is the process relatively the same for frankenpre-ing one of the gsm units? After I'm done, do i have to contact sprint to get it on my account?

i am really nervous about doing this as well! never done anything like this. i am a launch day Pre- owner and it's just about bit the dust.
    If you have an activated account on your Sprint Pre, then you do not need to contact Sprint. The difference with the Unlocked GSM pres is that the COMM board and the back bezel needs to be swapped. For the CDMA pres you only need the COMM board. Hope this helps
    Daffy4u,
    The radio you get dictates which network it's gonna be on. So if you're on Sprint get a Sprint pre to do the operation.

By the way what city do you live in?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Daffy4u,
    The radio you get dictates which network it's gonna be on. So if you're on Sprint get a Sprint pre to do the operation.

By the way what city do you live in?
    I have a Sprint Pre and a Verizon Pre 2 coming from ebay.

I'm in Long Beach, CA.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeagles36 View Post
    For the frankenpre you can use either the GSM or the CDMA (Verizon). But with the Unlocked GSM you need to swap the COMM board and the whole back bezel.
    Thanks for the correction.
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeagles36 View Post
    If you have an activated account on your Sprint Pre, then you do not need to contact Sprint. The difference with the Unlocked GSM pres is that the COMM board and the back bezel needs to be swapped. For the CDMA pres you only need the COMM board. Hope this helps
    thank you Philly!
    There's another good discussion about a conversion for DIYs. Check it out and add any tips from your practice Pre-!

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...game-plan.html
    Karla
    "Give me WebOS, or give me death!"
    Palm Pre > Sprint FrankenPre 2 > Verizon Pre 3 (coming soon!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast