Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Psychonaut
  1.    #1  
    So i easily followed the hardware conversion and am clueless as to how to start the software part.. can anyone hit me up on AIM ( elithegreat247) to walk me through?
    Which version are you trying? Pre 2 or Pre +?
  3.    #3  
    I am converting to a pre 2 (verizion).. home computer is running windows 7.. i have already did the comm board swap.. now jus staring blankly at the how to instructions..
    I can help. Messaging you on AIM now.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I may have a similar question - with all of the warnings that you can't use cygwin on windows to run the metadoctor scripts, how do you actually run them if you only have a windows computer to use? I feel like this should somehow be obvious, but I couldn't find anything in the directions to help.
    I just bought a new unlocked pre 2 on ebay can you please shoot me the instructions on this conversion haha i can do the hard ware part no probs i was the one who figured out how to put wifi on the sprint palm pixi :P but i have been out of the WebOS loop for a Very Long Time

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elithegreat View Post
    I am converting to a pre 2 (verizion).. home computer is running windows 7.. i have already did the comm board swap.. now jus staring blankly at the how to instructions..
    Sprint Palm Pre/Verizon Pre Plus On Sprint/Sprint Pixi Hybrid with WIFI
    Visit #webos-internals for help. We can answer any of your questions, and if I'm online I will help anyone.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    I may have a similar question - with all of the warnings that you can't use cygwin on windows to run the metadoctor scripts, how do you actually run them if you only have a windows computer to use? I feel like this should somehow be obvious, but I couldn't find anything in the directions to help.
    I'm at the same point. I've gone so far as to install ubuntu 11.04 on my windows machine, but every time I try to download the novacom drivers and then run them, I get a "wrong architecture message". I've successfully done most things with webos, but I have to admit, I've met my match with this...i've never used linux, can anyone help, or point to an even more step by step?
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    I decided to run the install on an older mac laptop, and am very pleased to report that I now have a Pre 2 with "Verizon" on the mirror and "Sprint" on the top left corner of the screen! Man oh man, is this ever a serious upgrade. (And the old Pre- is now wifi-only and still gives me access to all my old txts, etc. At the very least Pre- + touchstone = an alarm clock that also charges my spare phone batteries.
    O.K., sorry for basic, rookie questions, but now that I have a Touchpad, I'm eager to upgrade my Sprint Pre minus. I had resigned myself to using it for a lot longer, but the Touchpad has spoiled me etc.!

What do you have to do to make a Pre 2 work on Sprint?

Where should I buy a Pre 2 and how much should I expect to pay?

How long do I have to go without a phone during the conversion? (Anyone in or near the Twin Cities, MN, who can do this? I'd be happy to pay you if I can avoid a long period without my phone.)

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    O.K., sorry for basic, rookie questions, but now that I have a Touchpad, I'm eager to upgrade my Sprint Pre minus. I had resigned myself to using it for a lot longer, but the Touchpad has spoiled me etc.!

What do you have to do to make a Pre 2 work on Sprint?

Where should I buy a Pre 2 and how much should I expect to pay?

How long do I have to go without a phone during the conversion? (Anyone in or near the Twin Cities, MN, who can do this? I'd be happy to pay you if I can avoid a long period without my phone.)

Thanks!
    New Pre 2's are fairly cheap on ebay right now. Until Palm sold a bunch for $50 they were going for $250-$280 and now they're right around $150. I just picked one up and am loving it.

If you were to do it yourself you'd have to do this:

Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals

and this:

WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

If you do it yourself (or have someone do it in front of you) you can expect to go without a phone for maybe an hour. It's a few days if you use a service like this:

Device Services | WebOS World

That adds some cost to your overall procedure but they're reliable and a portion goes to webOS Internals.
    Jake_M and PrinceAlbert like this.
    Thanks! Looks like I have some homework to do when I'm ready to send the phone. Problem is, I don't know how to manage without a phone. Anyone local who can do this, please PM me!

As far as the FAQs go, I understand that the OTA updates won't be available converting to a Pre 2 (and that's not an issue because HP ain't gonna update the Pre minus anyway, right?), but I don't understand the other disadvantages.

If anyone can list the disadvantages in rookie language (besides violating the warranty), I'd appreciate it!
    Are you currently on 1.4.5?
    there aren't any disadvantages except sprint apps like amazon and sprint navigation won't work, and there are fixes for that I think. As for being without a phone I bought a ten dollar track phone and put the minimum minutes til I got the pre 2 back
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Visit #webos-internals for help. We can answer any of your questions, and if I'm online I will help anyone.
    Thanks for the links and help. I've got the DR made and ready for the phone when it arrives...and I finally make it home! Can't wait to get rid of this Motorola Photon!