1.    #1  
    Does anyone know how to check what frequency band my pre 2 uses? And could i change it by switching the comm board over with one from my UK Pre+
    Last edited by anthonyhilton; 08/19/2011 at 11:37 AM.
    I'm not sure if the comm board swap is the same for GSM and CDMA phones, but the linked post says its the easiest form of "franken" surgery available for CDMA phones so I would imagine it works as easily on the UK GSM versions too....maybe a PM to Pastorrich1 would shed some light?

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2923785
  3.    #3  
    The model number on the pre2 is P100UNA. Does that mean that is a GSM model. And the UK bought Pre+ is P101UEU. Does that make it CDMA?

Also does that mean if they were both CDMA models i could just have swapped the boards. But i they are different i'll have to copy the tokens over.

Sorry for the questions but i dont really understood the differences. Just that they communicate using different bands
    I'm no expert but this is what I know...
    There are two main network types that Pre phones around the world work on, GSM and CDMA.
    In the UK there are only GSM networks (O2, Orange etc), here in the US, there are both GSM (AT&T, T-Mobile) and CDMA (Verizon, Sprint) networks. The GSM and CDMA networks also use different frequencies, so for example UK GSM phones may not work in the US and vice versa.

A GSM phone is also typically not compatible with a CDMA network and vice-versa (unless they are specifically designed to include both radios, which the Pre+ and Pre 2 are not).
    If you have a SIM Card slot its a GSM phone. If you don't have a SIM Card its a CDMA phone.

The post I linked to above indicated that a Pre+ CDMA Com Board (Verizon) could be put into a Pre2, making it a Pre2 CDMA (Verizon) phone.

Given this I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to take the UK Pre+ GSM Com Board and put it into a Pre2 to make it a UK Pre2.

Hope that helps.
  5.    #5  
    thanks. I'l have a go when I get chance and report back
  6.    #6  
    Swapped over comm boards an everyting now works as it should
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyhilton View Post
    Does anyone know how to check what frequency band my pre 2 uses? And could i change it by switching the comm board over with one from my UK Pre+
    Check the model number.

P102UNA = US Model
    P102UEU = EU Model
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here