Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I bought a brand new unlocked Pre 2 from UK on eBay a week ago. Been using a Pre- since August 2009.

I must say this phone rocks. Itīsīso much better than the original Pre, regarding both hardware and software. webOS 2.1 is awesome, I really like the changes and improvements, and it runs very smooth. Hasnīt given me any problems so far.

But is not really the Pre 2 I wanted to talk about. Well, I did want to talk about it, but not so much any more.

Today Iīve checked PC as I do every now and then to find these sad news we all know about regarding HP not delivering any more products with webOS.

Lame HP, you couldīve done so much better. You had a great tool and didnīt know what to do with it or how to handle it. Youīve killed webOS for the second time and I donīt think it will make this time. Palm built a great product and died in the process. You took over and killed it in less than a year.

Where does that leave us webOs lovers?. Where does that leave me with a brand new webOS phone? Will I get any updates from now on?

The best thing you could do right now is at least give us some answers, and giveīem fast. Thereīs a lot of people waiting for them.

I really like my Pre 2, but if I were to know this was going to happen I would have probably looked elsewhere.

I still have an upgrade available from my carrier. If my Pre 2 is not getting any more updates (I was hoping to get 2.2 so I could have skype) and is obviously not getting new apps (I was hoping for whatsapp, since itīs the app everybody around me uses the most), maybe I should consider selling my Pre 2 for half the cost (if Iīm lucky) and move on.

Which brings me to the question: where should I move on to? I donīt like iOS nor I like Android. I donīt know anything about Windows phones. Iīm too used to physical keyboards, so I guess that leaves me with Blackberry.

Yep, I guess Blackberry will be my choice in the near future after I hear what you have to say HP. At least with their crapy Playbook I will get some resemblance of what webOS used to be.

I was so happy with my new phone. Way to go HP.
    Last edited by pantiko; 08/18/2011 at 10:36 PM.
    Well if it makes you feel any better, I just got my Pre 2 yesterday.

Still have a little less than a year on contract. I'll probably move to WP7 when the time comes, unless BlackBerry releases a Torch with QNX on Sprint by then.

In the mean time, I have an awesome phone running the best (Zombie) OS and get to be a part of this awesome community.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Come play with my Twitter.
    yea waste of money if you buy a pre2 or pre3 now. I bet their value will decrease. If you can't get newer software versions and more apps what's the point?
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    My Verizon Pre2 just came today. I look forward to using it. Since it only cost me $5, I just hope it lasts me a year or so.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    I also just got a Pre2 this past week but luckily i'd already RMAd it. Was thinking of canceling the RMA but that is not going to happen now. I want to keep it (even considered getting a Pre3 too) but i'm not gonna keep a device thats been EOL'd

My only gripe is that i got a touchstone too from ebay but now i have no clue what to do with it. I don't feel too burned because i bought the Pre2 & Touchstone at relatively cheap prices anyway but still it still stings...mostly because i really liked webOS.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    We’ll see how all this turns out, but it sure looks nasty right now... I sure hope HP keeps working on webOS until they find the right solution (if they find one and they don’t ditch webOS for good) and keep developing and delivering updates... If they keep working on webOS our phones may become very valuable rare species (I know, it is unlikely, but I hope they do)
    WebOS is too good to just go away. I plan to use my Pre2 until it dies and then hopefully a future WebOS partner will have a new device for me to buy. C'mon HTC or Sony! Step up...
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Got a pre2 recently on the cheap to replace my broken spare phone, main phone is an optimus7. Love webOS to pieces and its a great little phone, would of become my main handset too, however the copy and paste is next to useless and i need that all the time, shame, handy to keep around for a spare though.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbowlhead View Post
    Got a pre2 recently on the cheap to replace my broken spare phone, main phone is an optimus7. Love webOS to pieces and its a great little phone, would of become my main handset too, however the copy and paste is next to useless and i need that all the time, shame, handy to keep around for a spare though.
    Copy and paste? Did you ever take the time to figure it out? It's not too difficult once you do it once, using the gesture area + c to copy and v to paste. It took me a little bit to figure it out myself, but it's second nature now.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    So, I was holding out upgrading my Pre+ until the Pre3 arrived on Verizon.
    My plan has unlimited data plus the Free 3G mobile hotspot.
    Those should be grandfathered into my next phone.
    If that phone is not a Pre I will lose my Free 3G mobile hotspot.

So....What do you all think?
    Upgrade to a Pre2 or a Moto Droid 3?
    Droid 3 is a $200 phone, but they are offering buy one get one free. It'd be a cold day... somewhere... before the Pre2 ever gets a deal like that.

Pre 2 is a $50 phone. Great bang for your buck, but somewhat of an aborted platform at the moment.

That is a tough choice. I went with the VZ Pre 2 and am happy with my choice, personally, but who knows what the future will bring for WebOS.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Don't feel so bad, people. My pre2 arrived at 7.30am yesterday morning and I was really pleased with a great phone, only to find out in the afternoon, less an 12 hours later, that HP were pulling out.

It's still a great phone (and I must say I am particularly pleased it says Palm on the back now too!) and webOS might be picked up by another company.

Now, we have rare, unusual phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    Copy and paste? Did you ever take the time to figure it out? It's not too difficult once you do it once, using the gesture area + c to copy and v to paste. It took me a little bit to figure it out myself, but it's second nature now.
    I did take time to learn it thanks. But the pre software cant copy anything outside of editable text, that means no copying emails (unless you click forward first so you can highlight text) websites or anything else that your not directly writing or editing.
    Ok I see what you mean, yeah it can be a little tricky sometimes getting things selected that you want to copy.

Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    Ok I see what you mean, yeah it can be a little tricky sometimes getting things selected that you want to copy.
    I'm amazed that there's not a patch for it. Seems to be a text selection problem rather than the copy side. Webos simply won't allow you to select anything, I'm sure if you could select or highlight the system would copy and paste just fine. Alas I can't see anyone bothering now unfortunately, would like to be proved wrong though
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbowlhead View Post
    I'm amazed that there's not a patch for it. Seems to be a text selection problem rather than the copy side. Webos simply won't allow you to select anything, I'm sure if you could select or highlight the system would copy and paste just fine. Alas I can't see anyone bothering now unfortunately, would like to be proved wrong though
    You can highlight non-editable text by holding the shift key and doing some tapping. I'm not sure what the trick is to it, as it always seems to highlight a paragraph at a time, but it works at least. Not perfect though

I'm quite bummed out by the news. Surprising to hear so many people have just recently gotten a Pre 2. I'm still stuck on a Sprint Pre-, and the thought of getting a Pre 2 to hold me over until (hopefully) HP licenses out webOS and a phone company picks it up is about my only option for webOS now. I really can't see myself switching, and I really, really don't like Android and hate Blackberry. Windows Phone is the only one I think I might like, but not digging the Sprint choices at the moment.

With Microsoft buying Nokia, and Android gobbling up Motorola, and Apple owning iOS... One of the few phone makers left needs to step up to the plate and have the balls to take on the two big companies using webOS. However, hold on to what you have, I can't imagine we'll see anything any time soon regardless.

Anyone have a Pre 2 they want to get rid of on the cheap?
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I love webOS as all others, but when Palm left legacy devices behinde regarding webOS 2.1 i get angry and changed my mind and a month later switched to an iPhone, and then i realized that i was so stupid that i didnt switched to iphone before long time, i found it a better OS and better device than Pre-

and thnx god that i didnt waited and didnt believed in the "in coming months"

Touchpad must not released, if the focus on mobile devices and released mor phones and make hard effort to tweaks WebOS for phones i think they can make somthing perfect ... but lefting webos phones behinde and working on a tablet is a stupid idea ...
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amjz View Post
    I love webOS as all others, but when Palm left legacy devices behinde regarding webOS 2.1 i get angry and changed my mind and a month later switched to an iPhone, and then i realized that i was so stupid that i didnt switched to iphone before long time, i found it a better OS and better device than Pre-

and thnx god that i didnt waited and didnt believed in the "in coming months"

Touchpad must not released, if the focus on mobile devices and released mor phones and make hard effort to tweaks WebOS for phones i think they can make somthing perfect ... but lefting webos phones behinde and working on a tablet is a stupid idea ...
    An iphone4 maybe an altogether better device than a pre-, could even be an altogether better device than a pre2, but thereīs no way in my opinion iOS is better than webOS, let alone webOS 2.1... They may have all the apps they have, and thereīs no comparison there, but if we are talking strictly OSs, webOS beats iOS hands down

I donīt care much about apps, my wife has an iphone4, every time I grab her phone I get bored in a minute... Iīve shown her what webOS can do that iOS canīt and she wishes iOS could do those things... then again, I canīt find a single thing iOS can do that I miss on my Pre2, except maybe iphone4īs camera, but that has nothing to do with with the OS
    Last edited by pantiko; 08/19/2011 at 07:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    I'm quite bummed out by the news. Surprising to hear so many people have just recently gotten a Pre 2. I'm still stuck on a Sprint Pre-, and the thought of getting a Pre 2 to hold me over until (hopefully) HP licenses out webOS and a phone company picks it up is about my only option for webOS now. I really can't see myself switching, and I really, really don't like Android and hate Blackberry. Windows Phone is the only one I think I might like, but not digging the Sprint choices at the moment.

With Microsoft buying Nokia, and Android gobbling up Motorola, and Apple owning iOS... One of the few phone makers left needs to step up to the plate and have the balls to take on the two big companies using webOS. However, hold on to what you have, I can't imagine we'll see anything any time soon regardless.

Anyone have a Pre 2 they want to get rid of on the cheap?
    If you donīt miss apps, get a Pre2, you wonīt regret it, awesome device, webOS 2.1 and its hardware makes up for anything else IMHO
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast