Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    An insider has given us details from an all-hands meeting HP just held with employees in the webOS Global Business Unit in light of today’s announcement that HP will no longer make webOS devices. In the meeting, webOS GBU VP Stephen DeWitt made it clear that HP intends to continue to work on webOS and likely intends to license it. DeWitt was adamant, saying several times “We are not walking away from webOS.” He detailed a plan to try to determine what the platform’s future will look like within the next two weeks, although he admitted that “Clearly, we don’t have all the answers today.”

In response to a direct question about licensing to HTC or Samsung, HP VP Todd Bradley pointed out that to date webOS is designed to work on a single set of silicon — Qualcomm — and that many potential licensees would likely want to see webOS support other chipsets. He did not elaborate further on potential partners.

DeWitt said that there would be staff reductions, but told the team that the company needs people “that are serious about winning” and again reiterated HP’s commitment to developing webOS as a platform. Both DeWitt and Bradley were clear that the current business model of webOS wasn’t working primarily due to lackluster hardware, arguing that HP needed to stop “trying to force non-competitive products into the market.”

In short, it looks like HP is committed to finding a partner or partners to license webOS. It’s not clear how the company will shuffle the division around given that it currently sits within the Personal Systems Group, which is slated to be be spun off.
    Pre 2 last i checked doesn't use a Qualcomm chipset hence no webOS 2.2.
    I'd think the whole suspending webOS devices thing means no 2.2 rather than anything bradley says... he seems not to know ****.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    pretty sure there gonna screw everyone again like last time when 2.0 never showed up for pre-/+
    I love my Pre 2 and I ordered a Fire Sale TouchPad, but I don't expect ANY updates for webOS ever.

Luckily my problems with webOS devices have never been with the software.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Come play with my Twitter.
    I'd like to believe that HP will actually continue to develop the software.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    ...pointed out that to date webOS is designed to work on a single set of silicon — Qualcomm...
    As someone pointed out in another thread here, the above is crap. It doesn't even make basic engineering or business sense.
    Game over!
    I don't quite get this as the original processors are Texas instruments, not Qualcomm. Am I missing something?

8. Gab
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    We'll know more soon, at the moment the matter seems to be in discussion at hp
    https://twitter.com/#!/richardkerris...88315120529408

I hope to see one last update at least...
  9. Gab
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I can add that few samsyng device seems to use qualcomm chips, for exemple, the galaxy ace use the same proc as the veer, the same resolution as the pre 2 and webos 2.0 have a virtual keyboard hidden in the code that can be activated with a patch on preware. I'll stop dreaming there...
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    I don't quite get this as the original processors are Texas instruments, not Qualcomm. Am I missing something?

the sdk runs on x86 so I don't see how / why a recompile woudn't work. webos runs on top of linux.

search for webosinternals metadoctor - once 2.2 is released, the smart programmers here can perhaps port to the veer. Rod and the team does amazing stuff!!
    If somebody really did say "webOS is designed to run on Qualcomm," they probably meant that current versions of webOS (3.x in particular) are optimized for Qualcomm's instruction set and that OEMs would like HP to also optimize webOS for other chipset manufacturers they're under contract with.

Let's say, for argument's sake, that HTC has a two-year contract with Nvidia. They couldn't license webOS if it meant that they were forced to use Qualcomm, simply because they'd otherwise default on their Nvidia contract and because they'd otherwise have to deal with multiple chips inhouse, which they wouldn't want because of streamlining.
    They'd need HP to optimize webOS for Nvidia so they could make a compelling product with whatever chips they have already agreed to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    the sdk runs on x86 so I don't see how / why a recompile woudn't work. webos runs on top of linux.

search for webosinternals metadoctor - once 2.2 is released, the smart programmers here can perhaps port to the veer. Rod and the team does amazing stuff!!
    Port to the veer AND Pre 2, ya mean, right!
    Is it even possible to metadoc 2.2 for the Pre 2?
    yea that's a good question. Can Rod actually do it and get 2.2 working on a pre 2?

Is this photoshopped?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

16. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    The pic above is from a Pre3. I have 99% confidence that webosinternals or another homebrewer will get certain features of 2.2 working on Pre and Pre2 phones.
    I have 100% confidence rod will have 2.2 meta doctors ready very soon.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I have 100% faith that the homebuyers can, but if they will is a different question. What features are in 2.2 that you guys want so bad? All I want is for my touchpad to be able to text through my Pre2. A feature I thought it already had when I purchased it.
    spikea4 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cntchds View Post
    I have 100% faith that the homebuyers can, but if they will is a different question. What features are in 2.2 that you guys want so bad? All I want is for my touchpad to be able to text through my Pre2. A feature I thought it already had when I purchased it.
    this was included in 2.2, not 2.1. Also you get Enyo support and bug fixes.
    where is Rod? Probably working on 2.2 right now :O
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast