Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Hi everyone! New here, and this question has probably been asked before so I apologize in advance.

I'm an iPhone 4 user. I like the phone, but it's really no different than my iPod and my iPad. It's not really something I'm in love with. I also had to jailbreak it and get a crap load of apps on it to make the phone I liked it. I now never use the app store on my phone. I use it literally just for web browsing, email, and talking.

I've always been intrigued by webOS. I'm thinking about picking up a Pre 2 and handing off my iPhone to the wife.

Would I be crazy for doing so?

Also, I've already owned many of the Android phones. They do not impress me.
    It is definitely a change from iOS, you may enjoy it, I know I do!
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    the Pre2 is a lot of fun, and tweaking it with preware is a piece of cake.
    I think you would be very impressed with webOS after using the iPhone. Try it out - you can always switch later (but doubt you would too quickly)
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I'm not sure which apps you currently use on your iphone but if you classify any of them as "must have" apps, you may want to search the forums to see if there is an equivalent. I have a Pre2 and love it. It's the best webos experience on a handheld and I love mine. I'm not a heavy app user so this phone is perfect for me, plus webos is far and away my favorite mobile OS.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    First off, thanks everyone for the replies! More is always welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by dki378 View Post
    I'm not sure which apps you currently use on your iphone but if you classify any of them as "must have" apps, you may want to search the forums to see if there is an equivalent.
    The only apps I'd consider "must have" are either all my jailbreak apps (LockInfo, biteSMS, etc) or MLB At Bat. However, I have MLB At Bat on my iPod and iPad so it's not that much of an issue. Losing Rhapsody would suck, but I could always switch to a different music provider.

Looking at my phone, I have one (that's right, only one!) home screen of apps. My other screen is just two folders that hides all the default crap put on the iPhone. The apps on here are Contacts, Calendar, Cydia, App Store, MLB, Rhapsody, Facebook, 2DO (tasks), B of A, and a few games. None of them are "must have" for me.

Thanks again!
    why would you wanna downgrade? I see it like that. If you got the Iphone, you are lucky.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    why would you wanna downgrade? I see it like that. If you got the Iphone, you are lucky.
    I would not call owning an iPhone lucky, especially when you already own a 4th gen iPod and iPad 2. The iPhone is really just a reskin of those 2, with the added feature of being able to make phone calls. I would rather add a different OS to my development lineup. I have what I need for developing on iOS and Android, why not add webOS to the mix?
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylach View Post
    *snip* ... why not add webOS to the mix?
    This was an actual question, not a rhetorical one
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/15/2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: removed quote
    okay here is what I think you should do. Go to youtube and look at webOS and see how it operates. I have a pre 1 so I'm so used to it already for more than 2 years. I don't know but the Iphone looks really nice. Did you ever consider the iphone 5 before you get the pre2?
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    okay here is what I think you should do. Go to youtube and look at webOS and see how it operates. I have a pre 1 so I'm so used to it already for more than 2 years. I don't know but the Iphone looks really nice. Did you ever consider the iphone 5 before you get the pre2?
    I've watched plenty of videos on webOS and played with it in store many of times. I like the way it feels.

I don't really want the iPhone 5. I don't care all that much about the newer hardware specs, I don't want 4G, and I've already used iOS 5 beta on my iPhone. To me, the iPhone is all about the App Store and the apps. I don't use any on my phone, so it's really just a big fancy phone.

As I said, I'd rather add a different OS to my development line up. It could be webOS, or it could be WinMo7. I'm not sure which way to go right now, but I think I'm leaning towards webOS. I just like the UI better.
    If you had to jailbreak the iPhone to load your preferred apps or change the user interface then WebOS is for you. WebOS is open source so you can load your own themes and homebrew applications with no problem. There is also a Homebrew community that has made all kings of patched to modify the phones behavior. I think you will be right at home with WebOS very quickly.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    jaylach, go for it. It sounds that you like what you've seen so far.
    I would definitely recommend going with a webOS device. I read a great comment the other day. The IOS is little more than an app-launcher. Where as webOS is actually a user interface unto itself. Rather than just consuming a single app in linear fashion, you are using an environment. The notifications, app switching, gestures, dashboard controls, synergy and other such things make interacting with the phone more like a natural extension of your digital world versus just launching apps.

The first time you are on a website, need to switch to another app to copy something and switch back to that website to paste the information, while happening to receive a text message that you can glance at while pasting you will come to realize why webOS fans are so intense. It's an experience that even trumps the usability of a windows based desktop OS.

And if you are a developer, webOS is THE platform to develop for. It is not inundated with copycat apps yet, has a user base that actually pays for apps and is crazy simple to develop for.

Good luck!
    JED-WEB-OS and falconrap like this.
    No.
    for sure yes
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    No.
    The reason I say "no" is just based on the unsettled feeling surrounding WebOS right now. Is it a great OS? Absolutely! Is it supported well? Absolutely not. The Veer was a flop. The TP was crippled at launch by numerous bugs and glitches, and it still doesn't have Netflix or document editing (huge drawbacks for a tablet). Then you have HP's seeming inability to get the Pre 3 out the door. Add into this mix the almost ridiculous delay in VZW issuing the 2.1 update for the Pre 2 and you just don't get a very confident feeling about where things sit right now.

My first smartphone was a Pre Plus and I am now on the Pre 2. I liked the Pre Plus and I do like the Pre 2 a lot, but it does have its flaws. Yes, the OS is superior to iOS in my opinion. However, my girlfriend purchased an iPhone 4 several weeks ago, and after a weekend of playing with it, I was just amazed at everything it could do. A lot of it boils down to what apps are available. The maps worked flawlessly (a problem HP/Palm/VZW have yet to resolve).

If you are ok with buying a phone on the principle that the OS is superior, then absolutely get the Pre 2. If you want to buy a phone with an OS is supported well and generates developer interest, then the Pre 2 is not for you. Just be aware that you'll be giving up a lot in functionality by jumping to the Pre 2. In return, you'll get great multitasking and a great notification system. If that sounds like a good enough trade, then go for it.
    If you don't need a ton of apps, and are fine with replacing some of that functionality with web based usage, then webOS is a great OS to use. The Pre 2 is an excellent phone, though, if you get it from Verizon, you'll initially be on 2.0.1 which has a few annoying bugs. 2.1 fixes most of these, but Verizon hasn't pushed it out yet (though the website now says coming soon and has some PDF's up about the upgrade). The phone can actually be meta-doctored using software from webOS Internals to upgrade the phone now. If you get an unlocked one for AT&T, it will be at the latest version, or can be updated out of the box (updates are Over The Air).

If you want to get noticed as an app developer, you're more likely to get your app noticed on webOS right now. Though that may not last long. Seems the TouchPad started taking off with the recent sales.

For me, I can't stand to use the other UI's. Even with the occasional stutter or lag, webOS' ability to get things done is just superior and it's a joy to use.
    I have a pre plus from Verizon that I have used since they launched it and I love it. I also have a iphone 4 from Verizon that I have been using for the past 5 months. Today I ordered a Pre 2. So saying all of that it really comes down to what you were saying about jailbreaking to get the phone that you like, I tried that too, and it still was not like the pre + that I really love. The iphone is some awesome hardware however the os is still not what you will experience with webOS. Imo I enjoy having true multitasking and the synergy and cards and I could go on, that's just not there in ios4 or from what I've seen ios5 (although they did try to come close to webOS on some things). If you have a friend with a Pre or Touchpad spend some time with it then compare it to your iphone then decide what is best for u . I've made my decision and now I will use the iphone as an ipod touch. Hope that helps out. Welcome to the forum.
    I just bought a brand new Pre 2 and touchstone for $150. I've been an iPhone user since day 1. And i love it. I'm not switching by any means.

However, i think webos is really cool. I always liked it better than android. Then again, i think android is terrible. But thats my opinion.

It'll be a back up incase anything happens to my iphone i suppose.

I dont even really know what to do with it or how to even begin tinkering. I really hate that it has a physical keyboard, and not even an option on screen virtual keyboard.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast