1.    #1  
    I have had my brilliant Pre 2 for a little over a week now and i am delighted with it, its fast, efficient and the battery life is far better than my iPhone 3GS, and yet i feel like HP is just sort of "****ting on the little guy".
    I come to this conclusion through seeing the developments of this so called HP/Palm 'Merger'. In my eyes a merger is like, for example, when AOL 'merged' with Time Warner to create AOL Time Warner, however everywhere the strong Palm brand use to be used (App catalog, website, handsets etc) the generalised and weak name of HP is now plastered.
    So what am i getting at; well you see the Veer and the Touchpad, both (we are told) outright creations of HP, are getting support and updates out the wazoo, so where does this leave us users of the Pre 2, a perfectly powerful and capable phone that is nearly in line with the future proofed iPhone 4's specs and yet HP shows no willingness to provide support through bug fixes etc or an eta for WebOS 3.
    So... finally... my question
    Do you think HP see's Palms's Pre 2 as its unwanted marriage child?
    No.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    No.
    Great reply, but in all seriousness is does seem that way.
    Hey matteodv,

I've got a Pre2 and love it. But yes, I think when HP purchased Palm those devices weren't what they wanted to focus on. I don't feel unsupported at all with the device but the life and focus of electronics is forward - even more so if you are a company that spent that kind of money. The Pre2 is a great device and the Veer is awesome. But I'm sure HP is focusing on pushing forward with a series of devices that are designed along their new path. I realize the Pre2 isn't their main focus and accept that... and since mine works great I'm OK. I figure by the time my device is ready to go, the new device(s) will be out somewhere.
  5.    #5  
    Ah right yeh i absolutely see what you mean i suppose its wrong to compare the update support given to the iPhone 3GS with that of the Pre 2 because Apple hasn't been bought by anyone. Thanks for the reply its interesting seeing other people's opinions.
    We know that HP didn't buy Palm because of their stockpile of phone parts. We know that HP bought Palm in order to control the webOS.

Now my completely unfounded speculation is that Palm still had a bunch of Pre and Pre Plus shells lying around and rather than throw them away, HP decided to spec-bump the Pre again by putting a new SOC in there and getting the company who's making all of their glass to also make a glass cover for the Pre in order to make the Pre as desireable as they could. This "leftover Pre inventory" theory would also explain why the Pre2 was never given a broad release: they just wanted to clear out what they had and not be forced to possibly MAKE MORE of those phones.

While it doesn't make the Pre2 a worse device than it really is, I doubt that HP ever intended it to be more than a stopgap that simultaneously clears out some otherwise unmovable inventory.

(Oh and by the way, if I'm not mistaken the Veer still had Palm's old corporate ID attached, so it's not a complete HP creation. Just so you know.)
    I do feel my Pre2 is unsupported by Verizon.
    I also have a Pre 2 and, for me, the reason I wanted it was to enter the webOS 2.x arena. WebOS 2.1 is stable on the Pre 2 and the specs are enough of an upgrade over the Pre to keep me going until the next generation arrives. I don't feel unwanted, but then I haven't needed much support on the Pre 2.

With apologies to the Verizon Pre 2 owners -- I know you are still waiting for 2.1.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 08/14/2011 at 05:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    I think Verizon wants you to feel this way and purchase one of the many Android devices that make them more profit per unit. Utterly ridiculous, but they've been doing this since the Pre Plus first arrived on their network.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I think Verizon wants you to feel this way and purchase one of the many Android devices that make them more profit per unit. Utterly ridiculous, but they've been doing this since the Pre Plus first arrived on their network.
    Im in the UK but im sure i heard that Verizon is rolling out 2.1 updates. Oh and thanks again guys for the varied opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    WebOS is unsupported by verizon >