Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Not sure what this will mean to us with a FrakenPre, but doesn't sound good. Will a phone continue to work as intended with things like synergy if it can no longer log into you Palm(HP) profile? https://developer.palm.com/distribut...ic.php?t=17265
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/10/2011 at 02:23 AM.
    Well, that sounds like it's probably why Impostah stopped working for me to install apps on my Touchpad that haven't been marked as compatible.

I also wonder how it'll affect my modified Sprint Pre 2.
    The way it was worded is kind of confusing. In theory, if your HP Profile shows 2.1, you should be good. That would mean Sprint FrankenPres should be fine.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    PSN: StuntmanMark
    Twitter: @StuntmanMark

The Name: http://is.gd/nxnbhK
    I hope this doesn't affect FrankenPre 2's. If it does, HP basically just forced me to leave webOS. I wouldn't even be able to un-frankenpre my phone and downgrade back to my Pre- on 1.4.5 as this change would render my current palm-profile useless.

I hope this is not the case, but if it is I'm moving on. To render my profile useless and in-accessible on future webOS devices is a slap in the face, plus Sprint has no webOS devices in sight. If I'm going to start over, it will be on another OS.

I really hope this change doesn't affect FrankenPre 2's.
    Sapient2k7 likes this.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I've only had my FrakenPre 2 up and running on Sprint for a couple weeks and I've been thrilled with it. Was considering abandoning WebOS altogether, but once I was "FrankenPre'ed" I was satisfied enough to go ahead and take the plunge with a Touchpad. It would truly suck to have get a different phone and be running 2 different OSes.
    Wouldn't frankendevices be able to work so long as they properly report themselves as having 2.1?
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I'm not really sure. That's why the thread title is in the form of a question.
    you can downgrade a pre minus to 1.4.5....I did so on 3 and added uberkernnel....happy family members. Profile ok
    fate of my sprintfrankenpre2 unknown but might explain why I got logged out ofmy email and fb accounts yest
    Every thing that has transpired since the acquisition rubs me the wrong way.

1. No new phone on Sprint in two years
    2. Didnt keep the palm name
    3. Released a tablet without what I consider to be real webos (gestures)
    and now that some of us have made major investment to remain webos fans they are going to take that away and make frankenpre unusable.

I bought a touchpad only because it is a "Palm" product. I am not that crazy about it what with missing functionality that made the phone so fun and easy to use, but I probably would have kept it. But now its going back this weekend if my frankenpre cant work anymore. A potential nightmare, hope its not true.
    Sapient2k7 likes this.
    To be honest the thread title should be considered misleading until further information is known. There's no "bricking" since you can doctor back to a proper firmware assuming your device is affected, and so long as frankendevices properly report their firmware there's no issue.

Don't make the same bad conclusion jumps that the stupid tech blogosphere loves plz
    Discussion on this topic is happening at https://developer.palm.com/distribut...p?f=91&t=17270

In particular, everything I've tested so far continues to work as before.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Well, that sounds like it's probably why Impostah stopped working for me to install apps on my Touchpad that haven't been marked as compatible.
    I doubt those two things are related at all.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    fate of my sprintfrankenpre2 unknown but might explain why I got logged out ofmy email and fb accounts yest
    Email and fb accounts have nothing to do with reponses from the palm profile server.

I can see people are soon going to be blaming the US AA+ rating on this change ...

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyMan View Post
    I'm not really sure. That's why the thread title is in the form of a question.
    "Brick" is an extremely poor choice of word to use in the thread title. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Edit: title changed - thanks.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 08/10/2011 at 05:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMark View Post
    The way it was worded is kind of confusing. In theory, if your HP Profile shows 2.1, you should be good. That would mean Sprint FrankenPres should be fine.
    In particular, I have confirmed that a Sprint Pre- running webos 2.1 was able to re-authenticate against an existing palm profile without issue.

-- Rod
    spud101 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I doubt those two things are related at all.
    Well it's vague, but I was going by the generic mention of "recent security enhancements deployed to our Cloud Services" possibly meaning enhanced security for the App Catalog as well. Obviously it was just a guess because nothing is really known for sure on what this means yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Well it's vague, but I was going by the generic mention of "recent security enhancements deployed to our Cloud Services" possibly meaning enhanced security for the App Catalog as well. Obviously it was just a guess because nothing is really known for sure on what this means yet.
    Oh, there could be any number of other changes happening to the Cloud Services that are not announced.

In my experience, no-one at HP/Palm really knows how this stuff works, and changes to it seem to be more like random perturbations rather than well-planned, well-executed, quality-assured improvements (same comment goes for the app submission portal and app download stats reporting). The fact that there actually was an announcement about this change is something new.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    OK, so I can still go ahead with upgrading my Pre- GSM to webOS 2.1 and use the new Touchpad account on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    OK, so I can still go ahead with upgrading my Pre- GSM to webOS 2.1 and use the new Touchpad account on it.
    You can try ...

... and let us know the result.

-- Rod
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast