Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 69 of 69
  1. #61  
    WARNING:

    I turned off backup, and it got rid of the freezing problem.
    However, literally the next day, I tried signing into my new HP Veer with my Pre2 Palm Profile. Bad idea, it logged my Pre2 out, forcing a restart. I logged the Veer into a new profile, hoping it would undo the problem. Unfortunately, the only way I could get into my Pre2 at that point was by entering developer mode (##DEVMODE# on CDMA phones) but found that my apps were all missing. My memos and calendar were still present. I went online to Palm chat support, they told me there was no data on the server (obviously, since disabling Backup deletes online data).

    Somehow, the lady told me to go ahead and do an 'Erase Apps and Data', assuring me that she had worked some magic and that my apps, memos, etc would be restored.
    My apps were restored, but my memos were LOST! Thankfully, Save/Restore restored my pages and icon locations, but I had to re-enter all my accounts. I didn't mind losing my contacts and calendars (they all live in gmail anyway). But, my memos and tasks were irrevocably lost.
    So, warning, if you're going to disable backup (and we don't really have a choice, do we?) until Palm/HP figures this out, make sure you have a way to recover everything you might lose.

    I suggest:
    Save/Restore for settings, launcher pages and icon locations.
    Export your Palm profile contacts to a gmail account.
    Google Calendar.
    Notes! for memos (backs up to Google Docs)
    Preware Saved Package List (saved in Save/Restore) for Homebrew installations.

    What have I missed? I don't have a cloud solution for tasks, so recommendations are appreciated!

    FYI: each Palm Profile can have one phone and one Touchpad, according to Rod, so it must be true!
  2. #62  
    I disagree with the premise that we have to turn backups off. If you install JSTop and enable auto garbage collection then the backup will complete.
  3. #63  
    Jstop was no match for the condition my phone was in. Only turning off backup fixed it.
  4. #64  
    Even though this thread is about Franken Pre 2, which I believe has more RAM and total storage, your devices could still be running out of swap space while the backup is running. This is what is causing the devices to lock up or report TMC errors. Please see these two threads:

    Sporadic 100% memory/swap usage then becoming unresponsive

    WebOS 2 Upgrade Pre Minus - WebOS Internals

    Even though the second thread is focused on the Sprint Pre (-) Minus, it's very likely your FrankenPre 2 is still configured with only 100MB of swap space. It should at least be increased to 512MB, and compcache should be disabled as it doesn't provide much benefit anyway. Then the backup process should work and complete successfully again. I now have a Verizon Pre 2 instead of a Sprint Pre(-). I can say for a fact the Pre 2 was configured with only 100MB of swap space when I got it. I went ahead and made it bigger just to try to head this problem off at the pass before it happens. Things are working fine on my Pre 2.
    Last edited by SilvrDrgn; 09/08/2011 at 07:56 AM.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrDrgn View Post
    Even though this thread is about Franken Pre 2, which I believe has more RAM and total storage, your devices could still be running out of swap space while the backup is running. This is what is causing the devices to lock up or report TMC errors. Please see these two threads:

    Sporadic 100% memory/swap usage then becoming unresponsive

    WebOS 2 Upgrade Pre Minus - WebOS Internals

    Even though the second thread is focused on the Sprint Pre (-) Minus, it's very likely your FrankenPre 2 is still configured with only 100MB of swap space. It should at least be increased to 512MB, and compcache should be disabled as it doesn't provide much benefit anyway. Then the backup process should work and complete successfully again. I now have a Verizon Pre 2 instead of a Sprint Pre(-). I can say for a fact the Pre 2 was configured with only 100MB of swap space when I got it. I went ahead and made it bigger just to try to head this problem off at the pass before it happens. Things are working fine on my Pre 2.
    These instructions are for a pre minus. Would it be possible to get instructions for a Pre2?

    thanks
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    These instructions are for a pre minus. Would it be possible to get instructions for a Pre2?

    thanks
    Doesn't matter much. Just follow the instructions in the "Resize Swap File and Disable Compcache" section. Ignore everything else above it. That's all I did, and it works great.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrDrgn View Post
    Doesn't matter much. Just follow the instructions in the "Resize Swap File and Disable Compcache" section. Ignore everything else above it. That's all I did, and it works great.
    those instructions if followed exactly will shrink USB partition to 6 gigs from 15, yes? It looks like they are meant for a pre with 8 gigs.
  8. #68  
    Yes, that's true. Forgot about that. You have to adjust the size numbers yourself. You're never going to get the full 16GB in the Pre 2 because some of the filesystem is used up by webOS stuff that you cannot touch. I believe I used "13.4G" instead of "6.0G" for the first two commands. Command #3 stays the same. Works fine for me.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrDrgn View Post
    Yes, that's true. Forgot about that. You have to adjust the size numbers yourself. You're never going to get the full 16GB in the Pre 2 because some of the filesystem is used up by webOS stuff that you cannot touch. I believe I used "13.4G" instead of "6.0G" for the first two commands. Command #3 stays the same. Works fine for me.
    Just desperate enough to try this after several days of freezing, phone turning black, backup hanging, backup not being able to uninstall because can't find wifi even though emails, twitter, webpages coming in fine.

    Took me several hours as tried to install "compatche patch" and did not work, tried several methods, finally gave up on that, figuring that i could install uberkernel and disable compatche via govnah.

    Followed instructions (they seemed scary) and then could not verify size of swap file, it did not have any numbers.

    Never-the-less, turned phone on and tried Palm backup and worked without hanging.

    Overall, I have a bad taste from having to take 2 hours just to make the phone workable but I'm moving on, hope this is a permanent fix, many thanks for the suggestion.

    edit:By the way, this is just beyond me why HP/Palm released the phone without enough swap space. This is just derelict. I have been a faithful palm user, thank goodness my pre minus worked fine, so did my touchpads and webos internals and smart homebrewers such as yourself exist. If the Pre2 had been my first phone, I would have been returned it so fast to HP/Palm, it would have made their heads spin.
    Just inexcusable. Something terribly terribly wrong with management.

    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrDrgn
    "Even though the second thread is focused on the Sprint Pre (-) Minus, it's very likely your FrankenPre 2 is still configured with only 100MB of swap space. It should at least be increased to 512MB, and compcache should be disabled as it doesn't provide much benefit anyway. Then the backup process should work and complete successfully again. I now have a Verizon Pre 2 instead of a Sprint Pre(-). I can say for a fact the Pre 2 was configured with only 100MB of swap space when I got it. I went ahead and made it bigger just to try to head this problem off at the pass before it happens. Things are working fine on my Pre 2."
    Last edited by bluenote; 10/11/2011 at 03:46 PM.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions