Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Anyone else's Pre 2 freezing like crazy right now?
    Sprint Love
    How many people who have had this problem have been using TextOne?
    Sprint Love
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Same here past few days, tmc error, freezez, memory critical error, I doctored last night hasn't messed up yet

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Either yesterday or the day before, it was freaking out like crazy. Usually like you (65fastback) it would go away after a restart. But this time, it would restart work for a few minutes and when i let it idle (and go black) i couldn't turn it on again.
    That's what mine has been doing also

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Do you use textone?
    Sprint Love
  6.    #26  
    I don't use text one but lately my pre 2 has stopped freezing and saying too many cards. I was able to install the F104A kernal and enable auto garage collect with JSTop and I have not had a problem since.
    I had a long, detailed post but after I submitted it, the forum told me I was not logged in and I lost it all (I should have copied it to the clipboard before hitting submit). So, here's the sort version because I don't feel like typing it all over again:

I have a Pre- running the 2.1 meta-doctor. I starting having the same issues posted here and around the same time. I meta-doctored the phone and it was fine for a while, but then started acting up again. Been fighting this for a couple of days, but I have a rough (and I mean VERY ROUGH) theory on how to get past it when it happens. So far, the latest procedure has worked- but I've only tried it once and haven't tried to repeat it, so YMMV and as always, use at your own risk:

1. Boot up the phone
    2. Immediately place it into airplane mode
    3. Open Govnah (you do have Govnah installed, don't you? If not, shame on you!)
    4. Observe the Memory/Swap values- you should see the Memory value steadily increase and the Swap value will remain 0MB.
    5. After the Memory value settles, turn off Airplane mode (thereby turning on any radio(s) you were using).
    6. Watch the Memory/Swap values in Govnah- you should see the Memory value climb to around 236MB and hover there- this seems to be around the highest it will go (again, Pre minus here- the Pre+ and Pre 2 may be different since they have more RAM)
    7. You should then see the Swap value start to climb- let it get to around 40-50MB and then go back into airplane mode.
    8. You should see the Memory value dip into the sub-200MB range- turn airplane mode off and, with any luck, you should be okay. If after 5-10 minutes the Swap value hasn't changed, it should be stable.

It appears that the root cause is a "memory leak" that goes unchecked and causes webOS to lock up. Not sure what or how, but it's simply a theory that I'm testing.

Hope this helps someone!
    Started having this problem too, its really strange how so many different phones can start acting up all of a sudden.
    Has anyone been able to figure out the cause of this yet? I seems like it started out to be an intermittent problem that gets steadily worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDCole9761 View Post
    I had a long, detailed post but after I submitted it, the forum told me I was not logged in and I lost it all (I should have copied it to the clipboard before hitting submit). So, here's the sort version because I don't feel like typing it all over again:

I have a Pre- running the 2.1 meta-doctor. I starting having the same issues posted here and around the same time. I meta-doctored the phone and it was fine for a while, but then started acting up again. Been fighting this for a couple of days, but I have a rough (and I mean VERY ROUGH) theory on how to get past it when it happens. So far, the latest procedure has worked- but I've only tried it once and haven't tried to repeat it, so YMMV and as always, use at your own risk:

1. Boot up the phone
    2. Immediately place it into airplane mode
    3. Open Govnah (you do have Govnah installed, don't you? If not, shame on you!)
    4. Observe the Memory/Swap values- you should see the Memory value steadily increase and the Swap value will remain 0MB.
    5. After the Memory value settles, turn off Airplane mode (thereby turning on any radio(s) you were using).
    6. Watch the Memory/Swap values in Govnah- you should see the Memory value climb to around 236MB and hover there- this seems to be around the highest it will go (again, Pre minus here- the Pre+ and Pre 2 may be different since they have more RAM)
    7. You should then see the Swap value start to climb- let it get to around 40-50MB and then go back into airplane mode.
    8. You should see the Memory value dip into the sub-200MB range- turn airplane mode off and, with any luck, you should be okay. If after 5-10 minutes the Swap value hasn't changed, it should be stable.

It appears that the root cause is a "memory leak" that goes unchecked and causes webOS to lock up. Not sure what or how, but it's simply a theory that I'm testing.

Hope this helps someone!
    I tried to look at this stuff but I dont get any numbers similar to what you mention. Also the swap has never changed from zero
    I went ahead and doctored the phone and its been fine since. I even got the voice dial working again. Funny thing I was reluctant to doctor because I thought I would loose usb information, but I lost nothing, like nothing happened.
    I just doctored today too- I could get it to work with the method I mentioned above, but it got to be a pain doing it after reboot.

I'm gonna hold of on patching for a while to see if that was the cause. To be honest, I'm probably going to be reluctantly upgrading to the iPhone on Sprint in a month or so. I'll still use my TouchPad and follow webOS very closely. I figure it'll take HP about 2 years to get their act together, find a quality hardware manufacturer, and build the webOS "ecosystem". My loyalty will always be here- I truly feel that webOS is the best blend of iOS and Android.
    As a side note- it looks like after a fresh doctor and no mods, the Memory value hovers around 220 and the swap is set to about 15MB fro the get go.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDCole9761 View Post
    I just doctored today too- I could get it to work with the method I mentioned above, but it got to be a pain doing it after reboot.

I'm gonna hold of on patching for a while to see if that was the cause. To be honest, I'm probably going to be reluctantly upgrading to the iPhone on Sprint in a month or so. I'll still use my TouchPad and follow webOS very closely. I figure it'll take HP about 2 years to get their act together, find a quality hardware manufacturer, and build the webOS "ecosystem". My loyalty will always be here- I truly feel that webOS is the best blend of iOS and Android.
    I reapplied all my patches immediately and everything works fine. As for the iphone on sprint, I was at the apple store buying my girlfriend a car charger. I played with the iphone 4 and ipad2 and it was already driving me crazy. I just can't use anything that doesn't run webos.

Don't know what to do now, maybe buy another pre2 for backup before there are no more and hope for the best.
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    having similar issues. Took my phone yesterday and the battery was dead. My battery is almost never even close to dead (ya touchstones!). Also, I've received the dreaded TMC error a few times. I thought I would never see that stupid thing again. Lastly, took it off the touchstone after 10 minutes if charging and it was hot! Very hot! Temp said 45 degrees celcius. Right now battery is draining very fast.

looks like a memory leak to me
    installed 2.1 update from Palm and had freezing and heat problems.
    I installed j-stop and enabled auto garbage collect and seems to be fine now.
    As an aside, I installed preset reset also. I swapped the battery also but my guess is the battery is not the problem, I will test this and report back.
    so I doctored friday am, applied all my favourite patches. Worked fine till about 4am sunday. Did a better pull and was fine til about ten pm sunday nite. Seems like there is something going on that gets gradually worse. Maybe there is an app that we all use or some recent update to an app that may be the problem.

I will keep going and see if it gets to where its unusable again.
    I was having this problem for the past week. The solution to my problem was to turn off backup. That was all it took.
    Quote Originally Posted by runtimmyc View Post
    I was having this problem for the past week. The solution to my problem was to turn off backup. That was all it took.
    How do you turn off backup?
    go to the backup app and set to off
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast