Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By falconrap
  1.    #1  
    On my Pre- I installed UberKernel & Govnah and ran it at 1GHz.
    They made my Pre- acceptably snappy with a lot less TMC errors.
    However my Pre 2 is snappy, does not give TMC errors, the battery life is not a problem & generally it is great.
    So what can those who have over clocked a Pre 2 tell me to convince me to have a go?
    I had a few conflicts on my Pre -, but the improvements made it worth it. Any problems on an overclocked Pre 2 ?
  2. #2  
    because you can? For me the 2 is plenty fast. Less is more...
  3. #3  
    In all seriousness, keep your Pre2 at stock speed. I currently overclock just because its fun to mess with the settings. The Pre2 is limited by its software more than its hardware at this point.


    If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  4. #4  
    I installed the UberKernel only Pre 2 and now I'm doctoring it because it was stuck on the palm start up screen. O don't know what went wrong, but I will leave mine stock.
  5. #5  
    One of the benefits is maybe just how the kernel handles the phone, so it could run even better.

    You could overclock to 1.2ghz, just to get a little more oomph, especially running hardcore apps like VisualBoy Advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  6. #6  
    I use the F104A kernel mainly because my battery life seems improved on it vs running stock.
  7. #7  
    I run SR71 on my Pre2, and I've tuned the voltages to the lower limits of my particular CPU. Running 1.2 at voltages lower than I was running at stock 1Ghz, so yea, I'd say there is reason enough to mess with OCing on the Pre2.
  8. #8  
    Haven't had much luck with OC'ing the Pre2. The F104A Starfighter would randomly reboot throughout the day. Spent a week tweaking each setting. Just couldn't find anything that was stable. Same thing with SR71 Blackbird. BUT I'm installing Uber right now, so fingers crossed.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
  9. #9  
    my Pre 2 throws TMC errors at least once a day. Any advice on why kernel to use to prevent the TMC errors? In another post I was told to OC my Pre.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dabombcra View Post
    my Pre 2 throws TMC errors at least once a day. Any advice on why kernel to use to prevent the TMC errors? In another post I was told to OC my Pre.
    Your Pre 2 shouldn't give you TMC errors. How many apps are you leaving open? Unless you are leaving 40-50 apps open at all times, you really shouldn't see those errors. Perhaps one of your apps has a severe memory leak. My Pre 2 is constantly running 8-10 apps all the time, and I used to do the same on my Pre+, sometimes getting around 15 or so apps open, and I never saw a TMC.

    You should start working through your apps to see if one of them is eating up memory. You can also see if it shows up using JStop.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    I run SR71 on my Pre2, and I've tuned the voltages to the lower limits of my particular CPU. Running 1.2 at voltages lower than I was running at stock 1Ghz, so yea, I'd say there is reason enough to mess with OCing on the Pre2.
    have you had a problem with your wifi or gps?
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
  12. #12  
    been running F104a with the high voltage scaling and can really notice a difference in smoothness and my battery life. Lasts at least hrs longer
    ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Your Pre 2 shouldn't give you TMC errors. How many apps are you leaving open? Unless you are leaving 40-50 apps open at all times, you really shouldn't see those errors. Perhaps one of your apps has a severe memory leak. My Pre 2 is constantly running 8-10 apps all the time, and I used to do the same on my Pre+, sometimes getting around 15 or so apps open, and I never saw a TMC.

    You should start working through your apps to see if one of them is eating up memory. You can also see if it shows up using JStop.
    In JStop, what am I looking for? What would be a sign of a memory leak? I find it happens the most when I use the phone app. After a dozen or so calls, with no other apps open, it will throw he TMC

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by dabombcra View Post
    In JStop, what am I looking for? What would be a sign of a memory leak? I find it happens the most when I use the phone app. After a dozen or so calls, with no other apps open, it will throw he TMC

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Once you install it, launch it and look at your memory usage in the top bar graph. Just check it from time to time, especially if it starts bogging down. You can see how many resources are being used by looking at the nodes. If one app starts eating resources you'll see your memory usage go up, and you can see which app is growing by looking to see if one of the apps is using more and more nodes. The menu, upper left, has a selection to sort on memory usage. Just keep monitoring and get a feel for how much memory your apps use, and see if one just keeps slowly inching up. My Pre 2, is currently using about 73MB with the following list of apps running: Govnah, Calculator, Calendar, JStop, Keyring, Email, Outline Tracker (free), TweetMe, Memo, and FreeTether. That's 10 apps running (9 of them are almost always running) and my phone is still very responsive, with only a very occasional, very brief lag. In fact, I just opened 4 browser cards, with one going to a weather radar site, and my phone is still going just fine with the MB resource meter just going up by a couple of MB.

    Your phone should be able to handle all of this fine. I'm running 100% stock kernel and 2.0.1 from VZW. No TMC errors at all, and scrolling around is still very responsive (scrolling in TweetMe is a little choppy, but that seems to always be the case).
    Ziplock likes this.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Once you install it, launch it and look at your memory usage in the top bar graph. Just check it from time to time, especially if it starts bogging down. You can see how many resources are being used by looking at the nodes. If one app starts eating resources you'll see your memory usage go up, and you can see which app is growing by looking to see if one of the apps is using more and more nodes. The menu, upper left, has a selection to sort on memory usage. Just keep monitoring and get a feel for how much memory your apps use, and see if one just keeps slowly inching up. My Pre 2, is currently using about 73MB with the following list of apps running: Govnah, Calculator, Calendar, JStop, Keyring, Email, Outline Tracker (free), TweetMe, Memo, and FreeTether. That's 10 apps running (9 of them are almost always running) and my phone is still very responsive, with only a very occasional, very brief lag. In fact, I just opened 4 browser cards, with one going to a weather radar site, and my phone is still going just fine with the MB resource meter just going up by a couple of MB.

    Your phone should be able to handle all of this fine. I'm running 100% stock kernel and 2.0.1 from VZW. No TMC errors at all, and scrolling around is still very responsive (scrolling in TweetMe is a little choppy, but that seems to always be the case).
    Thank you for the reply. I will keep an eye on the apps.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by dabombcra View Post
    I installed the UberKernel only Pre 2 and now I'm doctoring it because it was stuck on the palm start up screen. O don't know what went wrong, but I will leave mine stock.
    I had the same problem with Uberkernel.
    Have been running F104A for a while now and decided to try Ubekernel when it popped up the other day as it had run well on my Pre-; just finished doctoring to get out of boot cycle.
  17. #17  
    running F14 Tomcat now on Conservative with some voltage tweaking, very happy. very.
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dabombcra View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I will keep an eye on the apps.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Well, interesting enough, my phone just gave me a TMC error when I placed it on the TouchStone. I unlocked the phone and noticed that it was still 100% responsive, so I launched JStop. My memory was a little high, but still only about a third of available, and nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, I was able to launch several more apps without a hitch. I'm starting to think that their is a bug in the current TMC implementation of 2.0 that causes it to be issued when there is no need. In the past, when a phone received the error, you couldn't launch any more apps until you cleared some memory. Yet, I was able to launch a bunch more. Tells me that this isn't a real TMC issue.

Posting Permissions