Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Guys,

I am trying to figure this out. I was a Palm Pre - owner, and so was my gf. We both moved onto the EVO, after our phones pretty much stopped working. I hate Android, and my hate is growing every time I use it. I just ordered a TouchPad, and now I really want to get a Palm Pre 2 and do the COMM board switch and run it on Sprint in place of my EVO. There are a few questions I have, and if you guys can answer them that would be great.

1. How hard is it to convert it? I looked at the Webos-Internals pictorial guide, but still seems like it might be challenging.

2. Do I have to have an active Pre running on my Sprint account to activate the Palm Pre 2? If so, that may be hard because the screen doesn't work at all on my Pre-, and I don't know if I would be able to activate it in its current condition. If not, would I be able to acticate my girlfriends Pre- and then use the COMM board from that phone for the Pre2?

3. I am currrently paying $10/month for Sprint's 4G service that I rarely ever get. If I switched back to a 3G phone, would that $10 drop off of the bill?

I am really excited about having a webOS phone again, and it will be a great compliment to the TouchPad. I just need to make sure I do everything right so there are no problems. Thanks for the help.

Fej180
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    There is no such thing as a 4G fee. The fee is for all smartphones so if you switch to a 3g only phone you still pay it. I don't know about you but I can't see myself switching back to Webos in the current state. Webos still has no doc editing, still laggy and missing so many apps. When if ever that is resolved ill take another look.

Those pre 2 on sprint don't even have any navigation which you pay for in the contract.
    I want to switch back to webOS because I like using webOS. Android is a disaster, my apps are constantly crashing, battery life is horrible, I can't even close an app and when I force them close they open up on their own again anyway, I can't tether with this stupid EVO...the list goes on and on.

I don't like doing document editing on a phone, its to small, so I don't care that the Palm Pre 2 doesn't have that. According to what I have read, the Palm Pre 2 isn't nearly as laggy as the original Palm Pre. Besides that, the EVO is laggy and can't multitask for crap. For your last point, there are maybe 2 apps that I currently have on my EVO that I didn't have an equivalent to on my Palm Pre. I don't need 80,000 apps, I just need a few good ones, which Palm has....and they don't crash all the time. I will miss the GPS, and I hate that I will have to continue to pay the $10 fee, but its worth it to me. Thanks
    here is a member that has a service that can do the conversion for you:

http://forums.precentral.net/marketp...nken-pre2.html
    and here is an extensive guide for those who want to do it themselves:

Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals
    <thread cleaned>
    To get a comm board, just find a $30 pre on Craigslist. For that price, it'll be in crappy condition but who cares since you're gonna rip it apart. Make sure ESN is clean.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Thanks Cantaffordit, I contacted the guy to see about doing it for me.

Loah, thanks for the advice but i already have the palm pre.
    You can install Sprint navigation on the Pre2. I have Navigation, Sprint TV and Amazon MP3 on my FrankenPre2.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kuffcakes View Post
    You can install Sprint navigation on the Pre2. I have Navigation, Sprint TV and Amazon MP3 on my FrankenPre2.
    Thats great to know! Thanks
    The Pre 2 is, overall, a pretty smooth device. Way more responsive than my Pre+ was. It also feels more solid. Your phone is tied to your carrier via the ESN on the com board. So, to Sprint, it should look like a Pre- that you are trying to activate back onto their network, so you shouldn't have a problem.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Thanks for the advice. I am planning on going over to the local Verizon store and checking out the Pre2. I did have another question though. My Pre- is broken and has a cracked screen. I don't really know if it will power on anymore. But if I can get it to power on, would I be able to get it activated even though it has an unusable screen? I guess it is more a question of, do you need to use the screen at all to get it activated?
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Ok, I just powered up my Pre- and it boots up fine. The crack in th screen is really bad though, so I can't interact with the screen at all. That leaves me with this question, when activating a phone, do you have to use the screen at all, or is it all done remotely? Thanks again for all your help.

Fej180