Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Hi

My Pre(-) just turned 2 years old, and everything was just like when I turned 40. Issues with battery life (not lasting more than 5 hours, even with new batteries), random restarts, power button not working properly.

So, since thereīs no news regarding when and how will the Pre 3 be released here in Spain, I went to ebay and bought my self a brand new unlocked Pre 2 (from England) for 200 euros. Iīll receive it in a few days. I didnīt want to use my carriers upgrade, thought I would use it with the Pre 4 or whatever comes out in the future if the Pre 2 does the job right.

I read some reviews and all of them stated the Pre 2 was a fine phone, some even said battery life was great.

But Iīve just checked the forums and realized Pre 2 might be far from being a fine phone. I read people are having serious issues with battery life and there are some reported bugs in webOS 2.x.

I donīt know what version of webOS the phone will bring, I guess itīll be 2.0.1.... Should I upgrade to 2.1? Can I do this via OTA or do I have to metadoctor?

Also, regarding battery life, is it as bad as some people say in the forums?... I really have been struggling with battery life lately with my Pre(-), donīt want to have the same problem.

You guys think I made a wise decision buying the Pre 2?

Thanks
    You did good. I have no problems with my Pre2. Only bug I encounter is voice dial
    I have no problems with my Pre2. First webOS device, I am a long time Palm user and managed to pick up a good value brand new Pre2 last month and so moved on from my trusty Centro.

No problems with battery life. Big plus for me has been the Preware 'Data toggle' app, which extends the battery even further by turning data services off (I get by on Wifi often).

Solid phone, can't say I know that much about the original Pre, but pleased with my Pre2.

Enjoy.
    I personally went from the original Pre to the Pre+ and now to the Pre 2. My only problem with the original pre was that it was underpowered and lacked in the memory department. When I switched to the pre+ I was very satisfied. It ran webOS 2.1.0 much better than my original pre and with some good old homebrew overclocking it was zippy as all get out. I decided to get the pre 2 on a whim to get the better hardware I was reading so much about. Now I have my Sprint Palm Pre 2 and I'm amazed. I haven't even thought about overclocking it and i'd say that my battery life is drastically improved. I am able to get a full day out of it on most moderate usage days. On the heavy usage days I still have to bust out the charger, but hey at least I no longer have to mess with that annoying usb door from the two previous iterations. It was a great purchase and the only thing that'll make me get rid of it is if the Veer comes to Sprint. I owned one of those for a week and operated it on wifi only and it was awesome. I love my Palm Pre 2.
    I just got mine as well. Replaced a Verizon Pre+ which I had loaded 2.1 and overclocked to 800MHz (wouldn't handle 1GHz for extended periods). The phone you are getting may come with 2.1, as I believe that Verizon is the current hold out in moving up. If not, you could always meta-doctor it to 2.1. That version fixes a number of annoying bugs in 2.0.1, including an issue with html email content not always showing (shows a black box instead), and some other annoying oddities. In general, the software is quite good, though.

The battery issues you are talking about refer to people who have phones that won't properly sleep. People will put their phones into airplane mode and still wake up with a dead battery. It doesn't look to be a wide-spread problem, but there are clearly a few people who have it. My phone seems to last forever. After almost 9 hours of sleep, and roughly 9 and a half hours since being on the TouchStone, my phone was still at 98% this morning when I woke up (was in airplane mode). After reading some articles on the web for about a half hour it was down to 96%. My Pre+ would have been down to 90-92% at best after that.

The feel of the phone, despite being the "same" design with a glass screen and rubber like material around the top half, is much better. The phone feels more solid than my Pre+ felt when new. My wife didn't care for the Pre+'s feel, but she likes the feel of this phone and gave me the ol' "I want this" look. You should be quite happy with the device as long as you don't have that sleep issue (which I think is probably less than a % of all of the Pre 2's).
    my pre2 is excellent.

just remember that batteries need to be replaced after about a year, so don't use old batteries in it.

have fun!
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Thanks guys

I hope I get lucky with mine, as I did with my Pre(-), which didnīt give me any problems until now.

I know what to expect, I know itīs not the best spec-wise, I just want it to work as it is supposed to. Hopefully theyīll keep this form factor in the future with better specs (and maybe a little thinner/lighter).

One more thing: what happens if I donīt remember my palm profile password? How can I recover it?
    Quote Originally Posted by pantiko View Post
    Thanks guys

I hope I get lucky with mine, as I did with my Pre(-), which didnīt give me any problems until now.

I know what to expect, I know itīs not the best spec-wise, I just want it to work as it is supposed to. Hopefully theyīll keep this form factor in the future with better specs (and maybe a little thinner/lighter).

One more thing: what happens if I donīt remember my palm profile password? How can I recover it?
    you can recover or reset it at palm.com/profile

and probably from the phone when you go through the first use cycle.
    F104 kernel with ScreenStatev3 governor gives me pretty good battery life. I strongly recommend it.
    you should be receiving a pre 2 with version 2.1. Verizon in the US been the only hold up for people with a pre 2 to get 2.1 here in the states.

My pre 2 has fanstastic battery life for the most part. There are some days when it awkwardly has short battery life, but most days it is great. Also, know that you will be in a GSM network, GSM phones always have better battery life because of the way the network handles idling and tower searching. Even when battery life on my pre 2 isnt great, i still get a good days use out of it, and by that I mean from about 8am to 1130pm.

I have had some issues of it resetting on me randomly, sometimes as often as 7 times per day. But I honestly think that issue is a bug on 2.0.1 devices like mine, not 2.1.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    So, will the Pre2 be getting updates or is it going to stay with 2.1 like the original Pre did with 1.4.5?

Does 2.1 have Skype like the Pre3 or that should come with a future update?