Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Im looking to buy a Pre 2 - really cheap on EXPANSYS.
    Anyway, Will the pre 2 be updated to WebOS 3 ???

I have a Pixi Plus and its on 1.4.5 so I dont really want to buy the Pre 2 and find it cant be updated to WebOS 3.
    I think what we've learned from the whole 1.4.5 debacle is that you shouldn't buy old hardware from Palm/HP and expect it to be upgradeable. Ruby's recent comments in the TIMN article seem to bear that out.

The Pre2 is a bit of an orphan device, anyway, representing as it does the last bit of pre-merger hardware. I'd put solid money on it never getting 3.x officially.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I think what we've learned from the whole 1.4.5 debacle is that you shouldn't buy old hardware from Palm/HP and expect it to be upgradeable. Ruby's recent comments in the TIMN article seem to bear that out.

The Pre2 is a bit of an orphan device, anyway, representing as it does the last bit of pre-merger hardware. I'd put solid money on it never getting 3.x officially.
    I agree. I'd be surprised if they ever update the Pre2 again, much less to 3.x.
    I'm also 100% convinced that if and when the Pre3 / Veer get 3.x, homebrew will have a solution to get it on the Pre2 within the same week.
    Why would they not update the pre 2? Just because it had a soft launch and wasnt popular doesnt mean they arent going to support it. There are quite a bit of people who own a Pre 2 still. As long as the Pre 2 has the capability to run it, Im sure HP will still support it.
    3.x seems to be the tablet os.

I just want 2.3 on my pre2 so i can pair with my touchpad
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Ziplock likes this.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    I'll put it this way.... based on Jon's comments on the TIMN interview, we can't even bank on the Pre3 getting WebOS 3.x. There's lots of uncertainty right now & hopefully that will be better this time next year.

BUT: as VCI_Cell put it: I wouldn't count on anything. For the time-being, we're sort-of like Android: devices ship with O/S Version X and possibly may never get updated again. Stinks, I know.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    if HP is smart they wil spend their time and dollars (C$, €,) on new devices (Pre3), but encourage and support a homebrew effort to put it on the Pre-2.

this woud be best for all - the geeks get 3.0 with whatever hardware limitations, HP is not responsible for maintaining webOS on the 2, and HP can get the new hardware out faster.

HP has been supportive of homebrew with free hardware, conferences, servers, they deserve thanks for that.
    on verizon, the pre2 still doesn't have 2.1...
    They said that they were not going to update the old phones because they were under powered. I don't think the pre2 is under powered so I don't see why it wouldn't get upgarded to whatever the latest phone version will be
    as long as I can run Enyo apps, I don't care what version is on my Pre2.
    whats an Enyo app?
    it's the framework used for touchpad apps, and includes support for app scaling to different screen size.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I wont hold the hope buying a Pre2 then expecting a webos 3 updates.
    I seriously doubt a Pre2 is going to get WebOS 3 or Enyo support. I'm fairly curious at this point exactly what Pre3 will get. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it will take a future generation phone (like the mysterious slab device) before we see OS parity between devices.
    3.0 is now currently for tablets only and Rubi mentioned a few weeks ago that the version will all come together someday. Don't hold your breath. HP is creating it's own Android world with all the different versions roaming about. 1.4.5, 2.0.1, veer version, rumors of 2.2, 3.0, 3.0.2 coming soon and let's not forget when the ATT touchpad hits.

Since so many versions are in production, might as well open up the damn thing and let other vendors at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post

agreed. honestly it probably goes for any phone from any maker. It's probably just a bonus. I was disappointed not to get 2.0, but truthfully i understand if it's a business decision. Stuff happens.

Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Why would they not update the pre 2? Just because it had a soft launch and wasnt popular doesnt mean they arent going to support it. There are quite a bit of people who own a Pre 2 still. As long as the Pre 2 has the capability to run it, Im sure HP will still support it.
    maybe to try and push people to buy new hardware? that's my guess.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by aussieinjapan View Post
    Im looking to buy a Pre 2 - really cheap on EXPANSYS.
    Anyway, Will the pre 2 be updated to WebOS 3 ???

I have a Pixi Plus and its on 1.4.5 so I dont really want to buy the Pre 2 and find it cant be updated to WebOS 3.
    Actually I WONT be buying one from EXPANSYS now ! bloody rip offs

I sent an email asking if it was the US version or European one.
    The Japanese Staff based in HK quickly replied and a link was included to the phone on their website. I had the phone page already opened on the web browser

The price had gone up from 24,000 yen to 42,000 yen ! bullsh#t
    the chances of the pre2 getting webOS 3.0 are as good as that of the legacy devices getting 2.x
    I'm in the "Pre 2 Ain't Getting 3.0" camp.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Now that I think about it, I don't want 3.0 on my phone. Not if its gonna mean no gestures and constantly trying figure it how to go back. Boy that tiny back button in the app catalog really annoys me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast