Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mu7efcer
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Over the past few weeks my physical buttons started to fail. First it was the power button that would not "click" anymore. I did the folded paper trick, and it still wouldn't actually do anything even though it did have some action to the push. Then it was my volume rocker. The volume rocker happened on one of my Pre -, and it took me weeks to actually go into the store to have it repaired. Such is not the luxury on 2.x with voice-dialing. Apparently the phone was under the impression that a volume button was being held down, and therefore constantly it was trying to voice dial. This was especially annoying in my car that is bluetooth connected to my phone.

I don't know why my phone started going out all at once, but I figured that I'd bring it into a Sprint phone repair shop (not affiliated with Sprint, just repairs Sprint phones) and told them my issues. I told him my power button wasn't that big of a deal so long as the volume rocker would work properly, which is when he gave me the bad news. The board that the volume rocker is connected to also holds the camera, the flash, and all sorts of other things. I was pretty turned off, since this seemingly simple fix of changing out a button had become a major surgery/moneypit. I had all but pulled the trigger on a Nexus S, when I thought that maybe I should just open up my old Pre- to see what was involved.

I did the FrankenPre2 on Sprint swap, so I was very familiar with taking out the Comm Board, but had never ventured further than that. Armed with a t-5 screwdriver, a small flathead, and a small phillips I dove in. Past the comm board all there was to do was taking off the keyboard bezel, removing four screws and undoing two ribbon cables. My fear, though, was that I would get all the way into my new Pre2 just to find out that it wasn't pinned out the same, or that the connectors had changed. I'm not sure if it was bravery or just a sign of how irritated I was with pocket dialing people via voice dial that drove me to ripping it apart anyway, but I did. It went fairly smoothly, and as an added bonus (to me at least) I now have a Pre2 with a Sprint mirror, which I am very proud of.

Just wanted to let you guys know about my experience with my Pre2 (physically poor, software excellent in comparison to my Pre-) and to let you know that if any of this happens to you, it is possible to sacrifice your old Pre- sound/camera/keyboard/sliding mechanism over without a hitch. So far so good!

My volume keys have gone, too. My power key is just fine.

Sadly on my pre- its the other way round. Power doesn't work, but volume is just fine. I need to find a sacrificial pre that has both working.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Just as a heads up, if you get one off of a Pre your camera will no longer work. I found that out the hard way today.

As far as I can find there are no replacement parts for these phones unless you are under warranty and have it repaired through Verizon or HP. Real bummer because now I have to choose between my camera, which I usually use a lot, or working buttons... Which is fairly helpful on a phone.

Does anyone here know where to find parts for a Pre2? Specifically the board that has the power/volume buttons and camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    My volume keys have gone, too.
    All of the sudden my volume keys are working again. I have no idea what happened. I stopped using them for a couple of weeks because down did nothing & up brought up voice dial - even after just one press. So I got into a habit of trying to avoid them

Tonight I accidentally pressed down & noticed that it worked. & up now works the way its supposed to.

I think aliens broke into my house & replaced my stuff with exact replicas of everything except my pre, where instead, they didn't notice that the volume rocker was broken. Seems the most likely answer to me.

kataran likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    All of the sudden my volume keys are working again. I have no idea what happened. I stopped using them for a couple of weeks because down did nothing & up brought up voice dial - even after just one press. So I got into a habit of trying to avoid them

Tonight I accidentally pressed down & noticed that it worked. & up now works the way its supposed to.

I think aliens broke into my house & replaced my stuff with exact replicas of everything except my pre, where instead, they didn't notice that the volume rocker was broken. Seems the most likely answer to me.

your a humorous guy
    Aaand just like that, they're not working again. Shazbat.

A couple of days ago, this showed up and a reboot fixed it. Now reboot isn't fixing it. Thank goodness for the SpeakerPhone app...
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=mu7efcer;3052839]All of the sudden my volume keys are working again. I have no idea what happened. I stopped using them for a couple of weeks because down did nothing & up brought up voice dial - even after just one press. So I got into a habit of trying to avoid them/QUOTE]

Exact same prob here... Vol down does not work and vol up brings up voice dial.

I have a radio app that is mow making me deaf because the volume is stuck at max and I have no way whatsoever to reduce the volume.

Anyone else? This only happened after I got the 2.1 update.

Thx, mj
    Did yo ever find that board? I clipped the volume cable while Frankpre'ing. SO need replacement as well.