1.    #1  
    Hello.

I am looking for a way to use my external BT GPS antenna with my palm pre 2

I found apps for Android and iOS to do so, but nothing for webOS so far.
    The Palm Pre2 BT profile supports SPP, and I can see my GPS antenna, but the pre won’t connect.

I appreciate any kind of help here.
    can you post a link or photo of what it looks like? I have an external antenna for my Nuvi, and it doesn't look look anything that could connect to any phone. But it's a cool idea...
  3.    #3  
    the GPS device i have is a Navilock BT-313t
    http://www.navilock.de/view/Handbuch...-_Handbuch/385
    (sorry, the manual is in german, but the pictures are international ;-p)
    There are currently no apps to do this.

It's defiantly possible to have an app receive this external GPS feed. What's not clear is if it's possible to inject this into the phones/tablets internal GPS feed such that other applications could benefit.

I can see the point of doing this for the WiFi Touchpad, but why do you want to do it with a Pre2??
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    It all depends on the bluetooth service. I doubt webOS will lets the phone use it. Someone need to hack the Bluetooth service then make the service enable for any application that uses GPS ( Navigation apps, Google maps, YPMobile....). It will be cool if HP did that out of the box. It turns the TP into a giant navigator. And you can use your Pre2 in locations where there is no cell signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    It all depends on the bluetooth service. I doubt webOS will lets the phone use it. Someone need to hack the Bluetooth service then make the service enable for any application that uses GPS ( Navigation apps, Google maps, YPMobile....). It will be cool if HP did that out of the box. It turns the TP into a giant navigator. And you can use your Pre2 in locations where there is no cell signal.
    They just use the bluetooth serial port profile (SPP) enabled since webOS2.0.0. Data is streamed across as NMEA comma separated text.

The Pre2 GPS will work with no cell signal anyway. It just takes longer to get a fix.
  7.    #7  
    Ok … first, I want to connect the external GPS receiver because my phone is constantly loosing the GPS signal when I place it in my car for navigation.

Now I bought have a new receiver. This one: GNS 5870 MFI
    http://store.precentral.net/gns-5870...84A95A7805.htm
    you can even buy it from the precentral store, and is said to work with palm pre 2.

I can’t get it to work with the pre 2 ether.
    What is the point in selling something for the palm pre 2, that doesn’t work with the palm pre 2.
    Funny thing here, this GPS receiver is recognized as an audio device. The other one I tried before was an “other” device.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    I have an external Bluetooth GPS that I bought bundled with TomTom software and ran on my Treo 650. I still use it with my laptop all these years later, and very excitedly tried to pair it with my TouchPad - it recognized, prompted for a code to pair then sat there. no indication it was using the signal I was really hoping that for this WiFi only device they would have included the ability for the Maps app (and all the other location based apps) to receive that feed. hopefully someday...

meanwhile, I've never tried to use it with my Pre 2, and I am surprised to see that Precentral sells that receiver without more details on HOW to use it - very strange! I hope you get it working