Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By otterpop
  • 1 Post By ashykat
  1.    #1  
    so my wife has a crappy dumb phone (env3) that is starting to turn itself off and have issues. She had a difficult time adapting to this phone initially because she has the attention span of a goldfish. (she knows it)

I'm tasked with the chore of picking out her new phone, and I am thinking pre2. her phone priorities are as follows:
    phone calls
    texting
    must have physical keyboard
    Facebook is her main Internet use, followed by a few other sites and an occasional game while she waits for court to start. everything I can figure points to the pre2. The only thing that really concerns me is the battery life, but since touchstones are $5 from Verizon that should be pretty much a non-issue.

any feedback before I pull the trigger?
    I am very please with my Pre2.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Pixi Plus from Amazon, new unlocked for 45 dollars. Activate it on Page Plus (Verizon reseller). 1200 minutes, 2000 texts, 100mb data for 30 dollars, no contract. Use the 700+ you save each year on something fun.
    I would think about the Veer. It sounds like it would be a perfect fit.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

5.    #5  
    we aren't leaving Verizon. we both have government jobs and get a discount on service monthly. with the upgrade of her line, the pre2 is $20 so costwise, it's perfect.

I have a pixi plus, and would not wish it upon anyone. when I upgrade (likely pre3, maybe iPhone) I am planning on putting a bullet through my pixi. seriously. I'm going to take it to the range and blow it to pieces.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by urresidentcomedian View Post
    Stop beating around the bush.
    How do you REALLY feel about it?
    if you really want to know I'd love to order a dozen of them from amazon, activate their little cameras and make them watch as I douse them in kerosine and torch them.

however, as we all know activating the cameras on a dozen pixis would take all day, and I have things I must do.
    laoh and Loiter like this.
    I don't have a pre 2 but all I can I say is that the pre or pre 2 are excellent phones. For facebook, I don't think it's great but browsing the internet is a breeze on wifi or if you have good coverage, that will help as well. You said she likes texting, well I'm a texting freak and I'm so used to the keyboard of the pre that I can type without even seeing, I'm dead serious. I'm sure she will love it. But then again it depends on your wife if she will like it or not. While I may not have the pre 2(soon I will) I can say the webOS is amazing. Android is perfect too but I rather have a physical keyboard and so far Sprint doesn't have any good ones yet for texting on android. The only thing I don't like about the pre or pre 2 is the screen size. It's such a baby compared to the android phones. The pre 3 will make up for it. I can't wait for it(if it comes to us, or else I'm making a sprint pre 2)
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    For FB integration I would've said the HTC Trophy on Verizon but since she requires a physical keyboard, I think the Pre 2 would be great. As you said, my only concern would be battery life but the cheap touchstones definitely help with that.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ashykat View Post
    For FB integration I would've said the HTC Trophy on Verizon but since she requires a physical keyboard, I think the Pre 2 would be great. As you said, my only concern would be battery life but the cheap touchstones definitely help with that.
    the trophy was another phone I was looking at for her. I'm not a windows fan, but winphone7 seems kind of neat. if it had a keyboard it would be a contender.
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    I was never a WinMo fan, but WP7 is actually very nice. I've considered switching to the Trophy a number of times but I really love webOS and my pre 2 is doing well by me for now. WP7 does have a great virtual keyboard FWIW.
    mafu6 likes this.
  11.    #11  
    I went ahead and ordered it for her. if she doesn't love it, my brother will give me his old samsung rogue and she can use that, and I will use the pre2 until the pre3 and or iphone5 come out.
  12.    #12  
    also, I'm not sure if it's the government employee discount or what.. but even though the displayed price for the phone is $50 on the 2 year contract and my last new-every-two discount for her line is $30 - the pre2 rang up as $4.99 and the touchstones were 3.73 each.
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    Nice! Hard to beat a new pre 2 and two touchstones for under $15.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    The Facebook is pretty decent, but now without flaws. You should bookmark the x.facebook.com site so she can do the rest of things that cannot be done with the App.
    The best things about the App are the "Just type" integration (you can just type your status from anywhere) and of course the cool notifications.
    The physical keyboard is also nice, it may take her some time to get used to, but it's good.
    Phone sound is very good and with just type she can find any contact quickly and call. Texting is so and so, it can be laggy sometimes.
  15. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I'm really digging my pre 2. I recently went on vacation and the wife has an iPhone 4. I must admit, I'm jealous of a few things. Mainly, the screen size, the solid hardware, and the camera. Otherwise, the Pre 2 is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by otterpop View Post
    so my wife has a crappy dumb phone (env3) that is starting to turn itself off and have issues. She had a difficult time adapting to this phone initially because she has the attention span of a goldfish. (she knows it)

I'm tasked with the chore of picking out her new phone, and I am thinking pre2. her phone priorities are as follows:
    phone calls
    texting
    must have physical keyboard
    Facebook is her main Internet use, followed by a few other sites and an occasional game while she waits for court to start. everything I can figure points to the pre2. The only thing that really concerns me is the battery life, but since touchstones are $5 from Verizon that should be pretty much a non-issue.

any feedback before I pull the trigger?
    WebOS is great. Very intuitive UI. It just makes sense. However, I'd having trouble throwing down money and getting a contract for a Pre 2, when I assume we're pretty close to the launch of the Pre 3.

I'm happy with my Pre 2, but I look at through the eyes of someone who loves WebOS. It can be buggy at times. The biggest issue I've had is random non-responsiveness of the touchscreen. It's generally fixed with a quick locking and unlocking of the phone, but still not something we should have to put up with. At times you just have to close an app and reopen it. But this is non-responsiveness is a well-known issue and it doesn't seem to get worse.

I'd wait for the Pre 3 though.
  17.    #17  
    so I guess today was a bad day for my wife to say , "Facebook and the web are awful on this thing, I want to sell this and get an iPhone." Thanks, HP.