1.    #1  
    I currently have a Pre- and am NOT paying the $10 Sprint smartphone surcharge b/c I'm grandfathered from paying it until I change my device to another smartphone.

So here's a question. My Pre- is already active, if I Franken Pre 2 it, then will i get hit with the $10 surcharge? Or will Sprint still think I have the same Pre- so I'm safe?
    Nope. As long as you use the parts from your existing, activated Pre -, Sprint is unaware of any change, and you don't pay any $10 surcharge.

<arnold voice>Do it. Do it NOOOW! </arnold voice>

It is so, so worth it.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    You will not have to pay the $10 surcharge if you take your pre- and frankenpre it. The $10 fee applies when you activate a phone with data and since your frankenpre does not need to be activated at anytime during the process, Sprint doesn't know you have a "new" phone.

Frankenpre is definitely the way to go... you won't regret it. I suggest you really test your pre2 before you void the warranty by disassembling it. I discovered a problem with my first pre2 and had to send it back to HP, but the replacement works just great.