Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    So I recently bought an already converted Frankenpre+ off ebay and was forced to pay the dreaded $10 smartphone tax to upgrade since it was a different phone (I didn't want to deal with the surgery myself!). At the time of my purchase I did not realize the FrankenPre2 was as doable as it is.

I still have my Pre- and if I go the FrankenPre2 route then I will technically be going back to the phone I had before I got charged the $10 smartphone tax. Will I be able to get rid of the tax since I'm going back to that original phone or am I stuck with this BS forever?

While the initial purchase of an unlocked Pre2 would be more expensive than the Frankenpre+ I purchased off ebay, not having to pay the extra $10/month would definitely make it worth while.

Thanks for any advice!
    Nope. You'll now have it until Sprint comes up with another way of charging you more. Once its on your account, there is no going back. You would have to switch to a non-smartphone to get the surcharge off but as soon as you went back to a smartphone, it'll pop right back on.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    Nope. You'll now have it until Sprint comes up with another way of charging you more. Once its on your account, there is no going back. You would have to switch to a non-smartphone to get the surcharge off but as soon as you went back to a smartphone, it'll pop right back on.

Such a bummer.
    You can try to fight it, I have heard of a few people in these forums that have gotten it reversed.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    The $10.00 charge is only for 4G phones and new phone upgrades. As long as you buy everything outside their contract you don't have to pay the 10 dollar tax.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    The $10.00 charge is only for 4G phones and new phone upgrades. As long as you buy everything outside their contract you don't have to pay the 10 dollar tax.
    Not exactly true. I had a family member just purchase a pre- off ebay just this week to replace their non-smartphone. The $10 charge was still required to be added for activating that phone.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    not true. Any 3g phone on or off contrqct will put the $10 on your account
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    You can try to fight it, I have heard of a few people in these forums that have gotten it reversed.
    well that gives me some hope. I have been with sprint a long time so maybe that will give me some pull
    Quote Originally Posted by wmurch3 View Post
    well that gives me some hope. I have been with sprint a long time so maybe that will give me some pull
    Can't hurt to try!
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Can't hurt to try!
    I feel like such a dolt for not going the frankenpre2 route to begin with. Live and learn I guess.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Not exactly true. I had a family member just purchase a pre- off ebay just this week to replace their non-smartphone. The $10 charge was still required to be added for activating that phone.
    so tell me what happens

When I upgrade from

Current Pre - to EVO or Epic 4G ??
    Pre- to Moto Xprt (3G only) ??

on a 2 year contract.

or
    what if I buy a phone either user Pre - or a Motorola Xprt ( non 4G) and replace it with existing plan ?

or
    Franken Pre 2 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    Most of the people I know that got it taken off were replacing a Pre with a Pre in a warranty/damage replacement situation.

So to the OP I would try to fight it with your current FrankenPre, arguing that you activated the same device as was already on the line because the other device was having xyz problems. This will be your best bet, since as far as Sprint will see it, you went from a Pre- to another Pre-.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    As far as I know its NEW activations only. So FrankenPre + or 2 with an already active comm board from a Pre- will avoid the 10$. Thats how I understand it.
    I recently was able to get sprint not to give me the $10 "premium data" charge. My son's pixi was falling apart (mostly due to his abuse) and I bought a Pre+ which I then converted to a frankenPre+ (with the help of another PC forum member who sent me a spare unactivated sprint comms board).

Anyway, when I called to activate the phone, I basically explained that I was doing this because his phone was falling apart and I wanted to activate without the $10 monthly charge. And that if they wouldn't allow the activation, I was just going to leave everything alone. They activated me w/o the charge. Didn't fight me at all on it.

My point is this: ask. See what happens.

That said, this may be a result of converting a pixi (sans wifi) to a pre (with wifi). The latter is likely to use less EVDO since it has wifi.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    so what about if I get a 4G from sprint... So that means it's $10 for smartphone charge and $10 for 4G now? Even though I'm already under smartphone category if I get another smartphone with 4G?
    I got out of it after buying a nexus s and returning it to go back to my origional pre- (which I later frankenpre'd). But it wasnt easy, I had to fight.
    This is old news. The $10 4G surcharge has now been expanded to include all smartphones. Existing non-4G smartphones (e.g. my pre-) is grandfathered from this but if I ever go to another smartphone (any smartphone) in the future, I will get tacked the $10 charge.

If you have a non-4G smartphone now and you do a replacement thru Sprint's warranty, although technically you have a different phone (diff ESM), you will not get charged the $10.
    so tell me what happens

When I upgrade from

1. Current Pre - to EVO or Epic 4G ??
    2. Pre- to Moto Xprt (3G only) ??

on a 2 year contract.

or
    3. what if I buy a phone either user
    a) Pre - or a

b) Motorola Xprt ( non 4G) and replace it with existing plan ?

or
    4. Franken Pre 2 ?
    1. $10 fee
    2. $10 fee (3G or 4G, doesn't matter)

3. a) Used Pre- will still be the same model, no upgrade. No $10 fee
    b) Motorola Xprt will be considered to be an upgrade from a model that Sprint no longer carries (Pre). $10 fee.

4. Same comm board, Sprint still thinks you have the a Pre- which means you're still grandfathered in. No $10 fee.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by professionalbum View Post
    As far as I know its NEW activations only. So FrankenPre + or 2 with an already active comm board from a Pre- will avoid the 10$. Thats how I understand it.
    Yeah but the OP's problem is he already switched to a different ESN, so best bet is the my previous phone was falling apart so I activated the same exact model.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    1. $10 fee
    2. $10 fee (3G or 4G, doesn't matter)

3. a) Used Pre- will still be the same model, no upgrade. No $10 fee
    b) Motorola Xprt will be considered to be an upgrade from a model that Sprint no longer carries (Pre). $10 fee.

4. Same comm board, Sprint still thinks you have the a Pre- which means you're still grandfathered in. No $10 fee.
    I heard that Motorola Xprt cannot have the 10 dollar fee. I could be wrong. With Sprint everything is based on who you talk at the time of contract renewal .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast