Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys and gals,

    Since my Pre - is becoming very difficult to use I am at a crossroads. I don't want an Android phone on Sprint. I can't even wait for AT&T or Verizon to come out with a Pre 3 because my phone is becoming unusable. That being said I was hoping for some advice on getting a Verizon Pre 2 and swapping it to Sprint. Technically I think I can do it. Here are the things I need advice on...

    - Price and where to buy. Who has found it cheapest and where?

    - Issues after the swap on Sprint. I've read about random issues here and there but does anyone have a general consensus on if the problems are rare or what?

    - If I'm losing my data connection often and having to reset (airplane mode on then off) is this going to make a difference when I swap parts from the Pre - to a Pre 2?

    Thanks guys in advance!
  2. #2  
    I'm in the market for a Pre 2 right now and can tell you that ebay they are running between 250-400 for a Pre 2 (used - new). I'm looking to FrankenPre 2 on Sprint to carry me through the next year. If you're just looking to do short term and your current Pre- is on the down and heading out, I would recommend just buying a used Pre- on craigs/ebay and activate that until the Pre 3 arrives and you jump ship. I wouldn't mess with the switch.
  3. bignoze's Avatar
    Posts
    330 Posts
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    #3  
    I just switched and the pre 2 is a big improvement and worth the effort.
    kill_dano likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the replies you two. Not sure exactly what I want to do yet. I have 4 lines on Sprint and mine is the only one that is up right now. I think I've got til February for two and the last one is May or so.

    Those other services are so much more expensive...
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by professionalbum View Post
    If you're just looking to do short term and your current Pre- is on the down and heading out, I would recommend just buying a used Pre- on craigs/ebay and activate that until the Pre 3 arrives and you jump ship. I wouldn't mess with the switch.
    not even.

    you still need to do the switch.

    If after the switch you can say "oh this wasnt a huge deal" then I'll give you $10.

    Its a MASSIVE difference. One you'll appreciate and wonder why you didnt do it sooner.
    @agentmock

    Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  6. #6  
    as far as issues

    a couple of the native sprint apps dont work (sprint tv, etc.). You CAN get sprint nav to work.

    and, the airplane mode things is fine. the only thing you lose with signals is the ability to natively update your PRL (roaming) settings.
    @agentmock

    Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  7. #7  
    Not saying there won't be massive differences but I just wouldn't justify going to a Pre 2 for lets say 1-2 months then change carriers for Pre 3. I'm factoring $ cost, time cost and such in getting to the Pre 2 as well. Sure there may be resell value in it but thats more time. Again, I'm speaking from the point of view of someone looking to go Frankenpre in the next few months. I'm hoping with Pre 3 launch there will be a resell price drop on Pre 2s.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by professionalbum View Post
    Not saying there won't be massive differences but I just wouldn't justify going to a Pre 2 for lets say 1-2 months then change carriers for Pre 3. I'm factoring $ cost, time cost and such in getting to the Pre 2 as well. Sure there may be resell value in it but thats more time. Again, I'm speaking from the point of view of someone looking to go Frankenpre in the next few months. I'm hoping with Pre 3 launch there will be a resell price drop on Pre 2s.
    I would love to be able to wait til a Pre 3 launch to get a cheaper Pre 2. Who knows... I may have to take apart my Pre and try cleaning up some things to see if it will work better until then.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by professionalbum View Post
    Not saying there won't be massive differences but I just wouldn't justify going to a Pre 2 for lets say 1-2 months then change carriers for Pre 3. I'm factoring $ cost, time cost and such in getting to the Pre 2 as well. Sure there may be resell value in it but thats more time. Again, I'm speaking from the point of view of someone looking to go Frankenpre in the next few months. I'm hoping with Pre 3 launch there will be a resell price drop on Pre 2s.
    you mean "coming this winter...."

    I wouldnt NOT do it on the speculation the pre3 will ever come out on time
    @agentmock

    Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    a couple of the native sprint apps dont work (sprint tv, etc.). You CAN get sprint nav to work.

    and, the airplane mode things is fine. the only thing you lose with signals is the ability to natively update your PRL (roaming) settings.
    Via the same mechanism that you got sprint nav to work, you can also get sprint tv, and PRL updates to work, too.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  11. #11  
    Once I started hearing the "Pre3 not coming to Sprint" drums, I decided the Pre2 was the path forward for me. My wife and I have a shared plan, and we use our phones for business. I priced out plans with Verizon and AT&T and they seem to be $40-60 per month more than what we pay at Sprint. (2 smartphones, unlimited data, txts, 1400 minutes.)

    I just converted a used Pre2. It took a bit of doing, but I think I got it done right. The phone appears stable, and everything seems to work so far. I'm giving it a week or two trial before calling it reliable. The Pre2 I bought was an unlocked GSM purchased from HP and converted to Sprint by the previous owner, so it came with a Sprint com board. My wife may take my Pre- (once I determine my Pre2 is stable), and if she likes it, I can see buying another Pre2 for her.

    So far, the Pre2 is turning out to be exactly what all the reviews I've read say: It is the phone the Pre- SHOULD have been. Its fast, snappy, responsive and wonderful to use. I like the added heft of the glass screen, the soft-touch rubber of the screen sides make it easier to slide the keyboard out, and while my Pre- still has an intact USB hatch, I'm liking the simplicity of the Pre2's exposed port. Wi-Fi reception seems improved. Exhibition is nice (I've got 3 touchstones: work, home and car), and I like the card stacks. The exhibition notifications are better than 1.4.5 too: you can dismiss them without leaving exhibition, or you can activate the relevant app directly from exhibition without swiping to unlock the phone (which minimizes the notification to the small icon), tapping the notification icon, then tapping the notification to open the app. You can also press the power button while on the touchstone and have the phone sleep (screen off) but still charge.

    I'm happy with the improvements. So far, I'd say its worth the expense and effort, but ask me again in 2 weeks as I'll be counting how many times I have to restart the phone!
    psiwriter likes this.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre-Phil View Post
    I would love to be able to wait til a Pre 3 launch to get a cheaper Pre 2. Who knows... I may have to take apart my Pre and try cleaning up some things to see if it will work better until then.
    Doing a physical clean out as well as a fresh Doctoring might freshen up your Pre- for a bit. That's the plan I have for mine before giving it to my wife (should my new FrankenPre2 prove reliable).
  13. #13  
    If you are looking for a short term solution and your current pre is dying, look at doing a pre+ conversion. Slightly better phone, much cheaper on ebay, and since you won't be activating a "new" line, you will not incur the $10 smartphone charge. That should get you to the pre3 release whenever and wherever that will be.
  14. Ziplock's Avatar
    Posts
    243 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimijames View Post
    If you are looking for a short term solution and your current pre is dying, look at doing a pre+ conversion. Slightly better phone, much cheaper on ebay, and since you won't be activating a "new" line, you will not incur the $10 smartphone charge. That should get you to the pre3 release whenever and wherever that will be.
    Thats what I did .... But im still itching for a frankenpre2 !!
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    as far as issues

    a couple of the native sprint apps dont work (sprint tv, etc.). You CAN get sprint nav to work.

    and, the airplane mode things is fine. the only thing you lose with signals is the ability to natively update your PRL (roaming) settings.
    Is there a way to manulay update the PRL?
    Or is it just stuck at whatever it was at forever?
  16. thartsell's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #16  
    I think I know the answer to this... but I'm being forced to switch from Sprint to Verizon at work. When I switch over, will my Palm Profile work on the new phone despite the carrier change?

    Sorry to jump on your thread, but this was somewhat close to what I was researching.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Via the same mechanism that you got sprint nav to work, you can also get sprint tv, and PRL updates to work, too.
    What process is that, exactly?
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

  18. Ziplock's Avatar
    Posts
    243 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    What process is that, exactly?
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...g-2-1-0-a.html
  19.    #19  
    does it matter which Pre 2 you get? GSM, CDMA?
  20. #20  
    You can do the comm board swap with both a GSM or a CDMA phone, but the CDMA is a lot easier. The GSM and CDMA antennas are different, so if you are moving your Sprint comm board into a GSM phone, you need to disassemble a lot more and swap more parts to move your CDMA antenna into the new phone.
    psiwriter likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions